Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Key to playing better pool
View Poll Results: The key to playing better pool is...
Instructional videos/books/hiring an instructor 31 42.47%
Drills 21 28.77%
Running balls - the ghost, 14.1 etc 16 21.92%
Balk line billiards - all the top players started this way 0 0%
I don't like these scientific questions - do I look like Einstein? 5 6.85%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Page 3 of 3 123

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
easy-e
AzB Silver Member
easy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond reputeeasy-e has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

06-22-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl View Post
The key to playing better pool is...
Beer works for me.

Old
  (#32)
Ralph Kramden
BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Ralph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-23-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
.. getting on the correct side of your next OB.

GAMES... http://sites.google.com/site/poolandbilliard

Recognize a 1/2 ball 30 degree cut, and the 1/8 ball angles.
Paralysis by aiming analysis happens by thinking too much.

To play at top speed.. You must own the stop shot line.

Old
  (#33)
Anthony_Beeler
AzB Silver Member
Anthony_Beeler has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony_Beeler has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony_Beeler has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony_Beeler has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony_Beeler has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony_Beeler has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony_Beeler has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony_Beeler has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony_Beeler has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony_Beeler has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony_Beeler has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Yahoo to Anthony_Beeler  
06-23-2017, 01:57 PM

As an instructor myself, I know that the single most important thing that I have done to improve is take lessons and watch videos. The problem with videos is that you don't get personal feedback. The problem with lessons is that most people just enroll for a day or two and and don't do anything long term. I feel like Virtual Billiard Academy addresses both of those problems nicely, and more importantly, it is affordable. You can get a year of instruction for $500.00 or 6 months for $350.00. We have produced lots of successful students. I have trained a VNEA World Champion, Member of the WPBA Hall of Fame, and various other professional players. Be sure to check out my website: www.poolteacher.com

If you are curious about the program check out the course video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0LxI2ml30c

ANTHONY BEELER
ACS MASTER BILLIARDS INSTRUCTOR

Player Representative, McDermott Custom Cues
Instructional Columnist, Billiards Buzz, On the Break News & Pool and Billiard Magazine
606-669-8401
Bradfordsville, Kentucky
www.poolteacher.com

Last edited by Anthony_Beeler; 06-23-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Old
  (#34)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

06-23-2017, 03:11 PM

Anthony...If you're going to blatently advertise your pool school here, how about spending $35 to buy a Gold Membership? It costs you less than $.10/day...

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Beeler View Post
As an instructor myself, I know that the single most important thing that I have done to improve is take lessons and watch videos. The problem with videos is that you don't get personal feedback. The problem with lessons is that most people just enroll for a day or two and and don't do anything long term. I feel like Virtual Billiard Academy addresses both of those problems nicely, and more importantly, it is affordable. You can get a year of instruction for $500.00 or 6 months for $350.00. We have produced lots of successful students. I have trained a VNEA World Champion, Member of the WPBA Hall of Fame, and various other professional players. Be sure to check out my website: www.poolteacher.com

If you are curious about the program check out the course video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0LxI2ml30c

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#35)
TheBook
Ret Professional Goof Off
TheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond repute

06-23-2017, 03:27 PM

Buy the most expensive cue stick that you can afford. 🤑🤔

🎱

Old
  (#36)
Lesh
One Hole Thinkifier
Lesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond reputeLesh has a reputation beyond repute

06-24-2017, 03:12 AM

...and here I thougth I would have to post some canticle about this stuff.... nicely said.

Lesh
Complicit and Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
Such a loaded question. It's many things.

You have to seek the knowledge.

You need to put in the practice.

Discipline.

Develop mastery, that is a knowing of you can do this shot, the whole shot w the leave.

Above all else is a passion for the game.

Each one of those has multiple facets.

Where you limit yourself is when you skip or don't do enough of one of those.

I put in tons of practice when I got back into pool about ten years ago or more. Got much, much better. But it wasnt until I consistently played better people that my ability grew.

That was a gaining of knowledge and apply that straight into practice. My philosophy is, if the game isn't for money, it's practice.

Room: The Corner Pocket - Largo, Florida (TABLE #2)
Playing Cue: Rack Runner Fancy Sneaky Pete by Mike Smith

Other Cues:
Yingling - Piloted 3/8x10 Merry Widow w/ 13mm shaft
McDermott D19 (1st Cue bought 1991)
Adam Cues "Julio Stamboulini" circa Mid-80's

One Pocket is the Teacher
"Play the Game, son." - Box
"Life is 100% mental." - Lesh
"Fortunately, I keeps my feathers numbered for just such an emergency." - Foghorn

Old
  (#37)
mattb
AzB Silver Member
mattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond repute

06-24-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Your poll makes it seem like an either/or type of thing. In reality, playing better pool is a combination of many facets.
This........

10 years ago we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash. Now we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

I was arrested and the judge said life in prison, or you can join an APA league. I wish now that I had taken the prison term.

Old
  (#38)
Anthony_Beeler
AzB Silver Member
Anthony_Beeler has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony_Beeler has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony_Beeler has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony_Beeler has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony_Beeler has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony_Beeler has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony_Beeler has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony_Beeler has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony_Beeler has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony_Beeler has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony_Beeler has a reputation beyond repute

06-24-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
Anthony...If you're going to blatently advertise your pool school here, how about spending $35 to buy a Gold Membership? It costs you less than $.10/day...

Scott Lee

Scott, actually I have an advertisement agreement with Mike Howerton. I am part of the AZBilliards instructional staff. I write for Mike's magazine "Billiards Buzz" You really should check it out. Good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

ANTHONY BEELER

Instructional Columnist, Billiards Buzz, On the Break News & Pool and Billiard Magazine
606-669-8401
Bradfordsville, Kentucky
www.poolteacher.com

Old
  (#39)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

06-25-2017, 05:32 PM

All the more reason you should be a gold member Anthony...

Scott Lee

PBIA Master Instructor

Key to playing better pool
Old
  (#40)
Anthony_Beeler
AzB Silver Member

Key to playing better pool - 06-25-2017, 06:50 PM

I am a Gold Member... is it showing up? I know they have been having problems with it not showing on some people's accounts...

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

ANTHONY BEELER

606-669-8401
Bradfordsville, Kentucky
www.poolteacher.com

Last edited by Anthony_Beeler; 06-25-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Old
  (#41)
pwd72s
recreational banger
pwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond repute

06-26-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
Buy the most expensive cue stick that you can afford. 🤑🤔

🎱
LOL! A greenie for that.

Old
  (#42)
buckets
AzB Silver Member
buckets has a reputation beyond reputebuckets has a reputation beyond reputebuckets has a reputation beyond reputebuckets has a reputation beyond reputebuckets has a reputation beyond reputebuckets has a reputation beyond reputebuckets has a reputation beyond reputebuckets has a reputation beyond reputebuckets has a reputation beyond reputebuckets has a reputation beyond reputebuckets has a reputation beyond repute

06-26-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
All of the above.

Strategy from book-readin', fundies from drills, pattern play from rack running, and well-rounded experience from playing a variety of carom and pocket games are all key to developing a robust set of tools to succeed as a pool player.

Old
  (#43)
chefjeff
No sides, only players
chefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond repute

06-26-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckets View Post
All of the above.

Strategy from book-readin', fundies from drills, pattern play from rack running, and well-rounded experience from playing a variety of carom and pocket games are all key to developing a robust set of tools to succeed as a pool player.

And here I thought I was just having fun.

"Better" pool means different things to different players. It doesn't necessarily mean to be able to beat more players than before becoming "better."

And that examination of motivation then following through on that before making major changes is one reason why I put "honesty," not a pool fundamental(s) as THE key to "better" pool.

fwiw.... I feel "better,"

Jeff Livingston

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: