Any cyclists?
Old
  (#1)
CrownCityCorey
Sock it to 'em!

CrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Any cyclists? - 10-17-2008, 08:59 AM

I have gotten into cycling lately, taking a cycling class, and wanted to see if anyone else on the forums has this as a hobby.

Also, I am already excited to see that Cycling is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more organized than pool and there are many cycling clubs in my area. If I chose to do this more regularly and train to compete, I'd be able to

Old
  (#2)
Andrew Manning
Aspiring know-it-all
Andrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-17-2008, 09:11 AM

Black-balled is a cyclist, and used to compete seriously.

-Andrew

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

If you knew what you didn't know, you wouldn't not know it. -Danny Diliberto

Old
  (#3)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
10-17-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownCityCorey
I have gotten into cycling lately, taking a cycling class, and wanted to see if anyone else on the forums has this as a hobby.

Also, I am already excited to see that Cycling is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more organized than pool and there are many cycling clubs in my area. If I chose to do this more regularly and train to compete, I'd be able to
I have mentioned it before, but I think pool and cycling are lots alike- both are individual struggles in which one- for the most part- does not depend on the successes of teammates. (my hobby selection seems to indicate that I do not play well with others!!)

I have often wanted to bring to light the comparison between bike racing and pool tournaments. The payout in pool is much better than that of cycling.
Ex. in a 100 person race, about $20-30 to get in, 1st palce will pay $200-300 and only 8-12 get paid. racing is also divided into classes and the general goal is upward movement. Those who sandbag get bumped up, though there are always grumblings about winners. A typical road bike race (in DC, aka:d20) will draw 500+ participants and run 7am-3 or 4pm.

So, C3, road or mountain? I do both. Prefer mountain but spend more time on road.
my road bike (blu/wh):
Attached Images

Last edited by Black-Balled; 10-17-2008 at 09:49 AM. Reason: BETTAH PICK

Old
  (#4)
CrownCityCorey
Sock it to 'em!

CrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond reputeCrownCityCorey has a reputation beyond repute

10-17-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled
I have mentioned it before, but I think pool and cycling are lots alike- both are individual struggles in which one- for the most part- does not depend on the successes of teammates. (my hobby selection seems to indicate that I do not play well with others!!)

I have often wanted to bring to light the comparison between bike racing and pool tournaments. The payout in pool is much better than that of cycling.
Ex. in a 100 person race, about $20-30 to get in, 1st palce will pay $200-300 and only 8-12 get paid. racing is also divided into classes and the general goal is upward movement. Those who sandbag get bumped up, though there are always grumblings about winners. A typical road bike race (in DC, aka:d20) will draw 500+ participants and run 7am-3 or 4pm.

So, C3, road or mountain? I do both. Prefer mountain but spend more time on road.
my road bike (blu/wh):
Road. I have a 5-6 year old Trek 1000 with a puter and clip in pedals. It only had about 60 miles on it for all those years and sat in the garage.

My cycling class, started last month, got the dust knocked off of it and I am riding on Saturdays at least 20 miles (for my class), but after the US Open, I'll be going for rides at least 2-3 times a week. So. Cal has lots of trails & routes - it is also quite popular in my hometown of Pasadena, Ca.

Yesterday, I went for a ride around the Rose Bowl (it's 5k once around), knowing that many cyclists train there, and much to my surprise I found a group of 50-60 cyclists training hard!!! I am in pretty good shape at the moment and have been hitting the stationary bike at the gym for a long while, so much to my dismay - these dudes smoked me!!! LOL!

Some of them, I could tell by the jersey's, belong to this group Pasadena Athletic Association.

Next month I'll be doing the bike tour of the Pasadena Marathon and I am thinking quite seriously to train for a century ride next year.

Tate & I have also been talking about completing a Triathlon next year. He just got a road bike and is already a runner. Me, I cycle and swim - so, I will have to get some more running in for sure.

Anyway, I have always competed for the joy of doing so - and winning! The fact that the money is bad in cycling does not discourage me. At least they have events!!!

Edit: P.S. I also have always preferred individual sports: Tennis, Cycling, Pool, Swimming, and the like. As I like to do things "my way" and at the same time, get bent out of shape having my winning or losing in someone else's hands. LOL!

Last thing: I have though, in the last several years, matured enough to understand that "I" have no control over winning or losing. The only thing I do have control over is doing my best, or not.

Last edited by CrownCityCorey; 10-17-2008 at 09:58 AM.

Old
  (#5)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
10-17-2008, 09:55 AM

When you are getting dropped by a faster rider...just yell, 'NICE PANTS'.

That is your only revenge.

Enjoy! It is going to be 40deg here this weekend mornings. And I am 1/2 Puerto Rican!

Old
  (#6)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

10-17-2008, 09:58 AM

When I was living in Northern California I use to ride about 5,000 Miles Annually, and the Area around Sacramento was great with all the steep hills.

Tried to do 5-10 Century, and Double Century Rides Annually, plus the famous Markleeville Death Ride.

Old
  (#7)
CrownCityCorey
Sock it to 'em!

10-17-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoboloCowboy
Tried to do 5-10 Century, and Double Century Rides Annually, plus the famous Markleeville Death Ride.
Please elaborate.

Old
  (#8)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

10-17-2008, 10:20 AM

QUOTE=CrownCityCorey]Please elaborate.[/QUOTE]

Century is 100 Miles in a Day

Double Century is 200 Miles in 24 Hours

Death Ride can be found on Google Markleeville (Alpine Co. CA.)Death Ride.

do it and it will get you attention.

Old
  (#9)
CrownCityCorey
Sock it to 'em!

10-17-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoboloCowboy

Century is 100 Miles in a Day

Double Century is 200 Miles in 24 Hours

Death Ride can be found on Google Markleeville (Alpine Co. CA.)Death Ride.

do it and it will get you attention.
It looks pretty tough Death Ride.

Thanks for that! Always gotta have goals! LOL!

Did you complete that? 5 Passes?

Last edited by CrownCityCorey; 10-17-2008 at 10:34 AM.

Old
  (#10)
bsmutz
Fearlessly Happy
bsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond repute

10-17-2008, 11:04 AM

I rode for 8 years, not counting when I was a kid. I started on the road and then added the mountain bike later. I would do about 15 centuries and the Death Ride every year. I only did one double century. I used to commute 20 miles one way to work, then 60 miles after I moved farther away. That was fun as I worked a swing shift and wouldn't get home until 2:30 or 3 in the morning.

Get a rearview mirror and keep an eye on those cars. Never take anything for granted as far as cars go. It's fairly common to get run off the road. I've had a car door opened in my face. Another time, I was hauling a** down a hill. There was a car coming towards me that was turning left and a car on my right stopped at a stop sign. The car turning left stopped to allow me to continue straight. The car at the stop sign decided he could beat me and pulled out. I hit him right in the front fender and flew over the car, landing on my head, neck, and back. I never rode without a helmet after that as it saved my life that morning.

There's nothing more fun than ripping down a curvy single track through the trees. Be careful and enjoy the ride. Don't forget that in California, bicycles are subject to the same traffic laws as cars, and if you get a ticket on your bicycle, it is exactly the same as if you had been in your car, traffic court, insurance, the whole nine yards. Got one for slipping through a red light.

My reality does not equal your reality, but my reality is neither > nor < your reality.

Last edited by bsmutz; 10-17-2008 at 11:07 AM.

Old
  (#11)
SUPERSTAR
Banned
SUPERSTAR has a reputation beyond reputeSUPERSTAR has a reputation beyond reputeSUPERSTAR has a reputation beyond reputeSUPERSTAR has a reputation beyond reputeSUPERSTAR has a reputation beyond reputeSUPERSTAR has a reputation beyond reputeSUPERSTAR has a reputation beyond reputeSUPERSTAR has a reputation beyond reputeSUPERSTAR has a reputation beyond reputeSUPERSTAR has a reputation beyond reputeSUPERSTAR has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5600

10-17-2008, 01:05 PM

Haven't ridden in a long time.

Last time i was really into it which might be 14 or 15 years ago, i went with the group that used to head out on the weekends, and go from Philly to Atlantic City and back.
It was coordinated by one of the cycle shop owners in the area. I have no idea if it still goes on or not.

In the basement i still have.
a Gitane SuperLeggera The exact same bike and specs that Bernard Hinault used to win his Tour de France's.
a Bianchi Superleggera
a Bianchi Victory (all Campagnolo victory parts)

and then a put together bike that was made from a no-name columbus frame, mavic g40 rims, and shimano and regina parts with i think if i remember correctly, cinelli handlebars.
Last time i rode actually was to the pool hall when my ride was in the shop.
Like 6 miles or something like that.

It was the Victory, and i blew a flat on the way home.

No more riding to the pool hall after that.
It was a pain in the ass to walk and lug that thing home.

Old
  (#12)
PoolBum
Abracadabra!

PoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1190

10-17-2008, 01:11 PM

I raced as a teenager, until a drunk driver put a temporary end to my early cycling days. I got back into riding about eight years ago when I bought a Mondonico EL-OS frame and built it up with full Campy Record. I put 8,500 miles on the bike the first year I had it, and raced a couple of years for UCLA.

I had stopped riding for a while, but now I'm back on the bike hopefully at least once a week. I've ridden with the LaGrange club and the West L.A. club. I usually do laps once a week on San Vicente here in West L.A., and I used to do rides around the Palos Verdes peninsula, up the PCH (I've done some centuries to Oxnard), or climbing Mandeville Canyon.

"He knew what those jubilant crowds did not know, but could have learned from books; that the plague bacillus never dies or disappears for good...and that perhaps the day would come when, for the bane and the enlightening of men, it would rouse up its rats again and send them forth to die in a happy city."

Old
  (#13)
CrownCityCorey
Sock it to 'em!

10-17-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmutz
I rode for 8 years, not counting when I was a kid. I started on the road and then added the mountain bike later. I would do about 15 centuries and the Death Ride every year. I only did one double century. I used to commute 20 miles one way to work, then 60 miles after I moved farther away. That was fun as I worked a swing shift and wouldn't get home until 2:30 or 3 in the morning.

Get a rearview mirror and keep an eye on those cars. Never take anything for granted as far as cars go. It's fairly common to get run off the road. I've had a car door opened in my face. Another time, I was hauling a** down a hill. There was a car coming towards me that was turning left and a car on my right stopped at a stop sign. The car turning left stopped to allow me to continue straight. The car at the stop sign decided he could beat me and pulled out. I hit him right in the front fender and flew over the car, landing on my head, neck, and back. I never rode without a helmet after that as it saved my life that morning.

There's nothing more fun than ripping down a curvy single track through the trees. Be careful and enjoy the ride. Don't forget that in California, bicycles are subject to the same traffic laws as cars, and if you get a ticket on your bicycle, it is exactly the same as if you had been in your car, traffic court, insurance, the whole nine yards. Got one for slipping through a red light.
An impressive cycling history to say the least!

Old
  (#14)
CrownCityCorey
Sock it to 'em!

10-17-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBum
I raced as a teenager, until a drunk driver put a temporary end to my early cycling days. I got back into riding about eight years ago when I bought a Mondonico EL-OS frame and built it up with full Campy Record. I put 8,500 miles on the bike the first year I had it, and raced a couple of years for UCLA.

I had stopped riding for a while, but now I'm back on the bike hopefully at least once a week. I've ridden with the LaGrange club and the West L.A. club. I usually do laps once a week on San Vicente here in West L.A., and I used to do rides around the Palos Verdes peninsula, up the PCH (I've done some centuries to Oxnard), or climbing Mandeville Canyon.
Nice!

We oughtta round up Tate (hopefully more) and form an AZB Cycling Team - we can make Mike H. buy us our custom jerseys!!! I am down to give it a shot when I get back from the US open.

Old
  (#15)
ScottW
Fo' shizzle!
ScottW has a reputation beyond reputeScottW has a reputation beyond reputeScottW has a reputation beyond reputeScottW has a reputation beyond reputeScottW has a reputation beyond reputeScottW has a reputation beyond reputeScottW has a reputation beyond reputeScottW has a reputation beyond reputeScottW has a reputation beyond reputeScottW has a reputation beyond reputeScottW has a reputation beyond repute

10-17-2008, 01:36 PM

Cycling is one of my other main hobbies.

I've got three bikes right now:
* An older Bottechia road frame, kitted out with random parts (total frankenbike) - bought it super-cheap nearly ten years ago as my first (and still only, meh) roadie - sucker's held up pretty well, only had to replace one shifter (and it was a used shifter to begin with)
* A Psycle Werks "Wild Hare" full suspension bike, that I need to finish rebuilding - bought a whole new drivetrain (SRAM) last year and I need to get it back on the trail!
* A custom steel Curtlo hardtail, built up with some reasonably decent parts (not 100% high-zoot but a step or so below).

Pisser about my cycling - I was living in Colorado - biking heaven! - but moved back to Atlanta last year. Not as much riding down here, and certainly not as close by. No more handy roadie hillclimbs a few minutes away - now all I have close is Kennesaw Mtn - about 1.2 miles up to the top, but a half decent grade. I just go do laps up/down to compensate. :P

I did some beginner trail racing back in the day, when I first started getting into trail riding. Eventually had my best season in Oregon in 2000 - took 2nd overall in the state-wide series in Beginner Men's (35-44). Then moved to Colorado and tried moving up to Sport class (figuring it was time to get out of Beginner) - but didn't realize at the time how much tougher the scene was in Colorado over Oregon - just *moving* was like going up a class. So trying to race Sport was like moving up *two* classes at once. After bashing up my knees in some stupid wrecks, I called it quits.

Playing cues: Schon R-7 (circa 1984) w/OB-1 shaft
Russ Espiritu (1996)
Break cue: Jerico Stinger j/b
----------------------------------
Which flame warrior are YOU?

Last edited by ScottW; 10-17-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Page 1 of 69 1 231151 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: