Old
  (#31)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-29-2019, 01:59 PM

Obviously no marketing plan was in place and ready to go if and when the successful day came- and now it came and went. ALL of the marketing should have been in place , ready to go, PRIOR to his first day of attempting this record run- why in the world would someone spend all this time trying to achieve this and so little time up front MAKING SURE that everything from a marketing standpoint was in place and ready to go immediately- and his wife states that they wanted to make sure "John is rewarded"- funny way to "make sure of that" after the fact! This makes NO business sense to me at all.

Old
  (#32)
DynoDan
AzB Silver Member
DynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolguy4u View Post

For me if I want to see a 600 ball run, I just go to YouTube and watch

6 different videos of at least 100 balls run in each.

Good enough for me.

I have no interest in watching the edited big one.

Itís true, watching someone pocketing make-able/open shots can become rather Ďho-humí after awhile. Itís the breaking/spreading of 44 racks without once ending up thoroughly/hopelessly hooked that ĎIí want to see!

Old
  (#33)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDan View Post
Itís true, watching someone pocketing make-able/open shots can become rather Ďho-humí after awhile. Itís the breaking/spreading of 44 racks without once ending up thoroughly/hopelessly hooked that ĎIí want to see!

Well, to a certain extent this is true, but...

If youíre into the game you want to see how the player solves all the subtle problems the table presents rack after rack. Then thereís not only watching the player deal with them but their demeanor and watch the psychological stress build up as the run continues.

Now admittedly it is subtle but if youíre into it it can be fascinating and in your brain youíre thinking what will be the next ball, the position play, the pattern. It can be *great* compelling stuff and totally enthralling.

Lou Figueroa
obviously a 14.1 nut

Old
  (#34)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Silver Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post

If youíre into the game you want to see how the player solves all the subtle problems the table presents rack after rack. Then thereís not only watching the player deal with them but their demeanor and watch the psychological stress build up as the run continues.

Now admittedly it is subtle but if youíre into it it can be fascinating and in your brain youíre thinking what will be the next ball, the position play, the pattern. It can be *great* compelling stuff and totally enthralling.

Lou Figueroa
obviously a 14.1 nut
Enthralling is a good word for it. Iím still learning the game but it only takes a few tries to run multiple racks to see the art of it all. There are plenty of open shots IF you break them open well, then there are times where you have to take tough shots based on the layout or slightly missed position etc, developing break balls, secondary breaks.

I have to be in the mood to watch straight pool though to really get into it. I usually have pool on the TV while Iím playing or messing around and thatís fine for 9 ball, see the break and the tableís wide open you can just sort of listen to the commentators and keep up. But for 14.1, and especially if this run ever becomes available, Iíll get in my good chair and watch as if Iím the one playing and it really is enthralling, hypnotic maybe even. Great game.

Old
  (#35)
michael4
AzB Silver Member
michael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post

Lou Figueroa
obviously a 14.1 nut
I tend to agree, but you actually could just watch a string of shorter runs to see how a player solves problems in a rack....

I think the best part of John's video will be from, say, 450 balls onward, where you know the stress was excruciatingÖ..

Old
  (#36)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobi View Post
I'd prefer a high definition video on demand or similar. No need for a physical DVD, which is standard definition and easily copied by anyone, despite your head-scratching remark about encryption. Even 15 years ago there were free utilities such as "DVD Shrink" that copied encrypted DVDs effortlessly.
In other words a DVD of this record has little to no value. Is placing it on You Tube and having thousands of people view it where the value lies?

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#37)
Shuddy
AzB Silver Member
Shuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond reputeShuddy has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
In other words a DVD of this record has little to no value. Is placing it on You Tube and having thousands of people view it where the value lies?
I donít understand making a DVD. I havenít owned a DVD player for about 10 years. I guess my PS4 has one, but Iíve never used it. Iíd buy a digital version or pay on Vimeo and the like but not a DVD.

Old
  (#38)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!
Icon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 15960

07-30-2019, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
People waited 65 years for this run, they can wait a little longer. How could anyone really believe this? What a joke!

The moment has passed and the buzz is long gone after nine weeks. Only the 14.1 diehards will have any interest in seeing this run now, and my guess is that even they are growing weary of waiting and that their interest is waning.

Shame for John, for he deserved better on the occasion of this historic achievement, but it's old news now.
You are mostly right. I still think some people will buy it though just to see the feat occur. His accustats 100+ run from 10+ years ago that he commentated on was super cool to see, as was the 400+ he recently put on youtube.

I hardly play 14.1 at all and generally have little interest in it, but just to see something like this happen, it's worth the money to have a piece of pool history.

On a side note... does anyone think there might be something up with the footage? I don't doubt at all that John ran the 626 as he had witnesses, but maybe the camera angle was sloppy or possibly stopped recording and then picked back up later or something, and that is the reason it hasn't been released yet? Has anyone other then John and Pred actually seen the footage yet?

The 434 run he had on youtube wasnt exactly the best production quality, just a camera with a straight on shot at the table that was slightly crooked. If Pred was planning on marketing this, they should have gave John something a bit better to work with. Plus that video has currently been blocked on youtube due to the music copyright that was playing in the background (which could be yet another hurdle that is making the 626 release take so long).

-H

Disclaimer:
I'm really a sh!t pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

Last edited by Icon of Sin; 07-30-2019 at 04:22 AM.

Old
  (#39)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!
Icon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond repute

07-30-2019, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Not thousands of people... more like dozens.

-H

Disclaimer:
I'm really a sh!t pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

Old
  (#40)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Silver Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

07-30-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon of Sin View Post
Not thousands of people... more like dozens.
Naww it would definitely get thousands, if it were free on YT.

To your comment and questions above, John said in one video or post that the run video had been submitted to the BCA. Nothing about what came of that of course.

Old
  (#41)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member
iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

07-30-2019, 05:38 AM

I doubt more than 100 people world wide would pay ANY money to watch this. The value is not monetary, itís in John pointing to a free video and saying ďlook what I didĒ for the rest of his life. Thatís worth a lot more than a few bucks he might eventually make with a paid video. IMO of course.

Old
  (#42)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

07-30-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael4 View Post
I tend to agree, but you actually could just watch a string of shorter runs to see how a player solves problems in a rack....

I think the best part of John's video will be from, say, 450 balls onward, where you know the stress was excruciatingÖ..

I would have to mostly agree.

Every players tends to favor particular patterns that they like and are comfortable with and JS is no different in this regard. You'll often see them going for the same last few balls in the same progression each rack to get on a break ball.

Still, sometimes they get out of line and have to improvise.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#43)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member

07-30-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:

I'm thinking along these lines.

At this point there may be more value in posting up the video to enhance his brand and the whole "Mr. 600" thing than trying to sell it.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#44)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!

07-30-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff87 View Post
Naww it would definitely get thousands, if it were free on YT.

To your comment and questions above, John said in one video or post that the run video had been submitted to the BCA. Nothing about what came of that of course.
It would get thousands that would click on it and watch maybe the first rack and then skip to the end to see how the run ends.

It would get a couple hundred that watched a 2 or 3 racks.

It would get about a dozen and a half that actually watched the whole damn thing.

Edit to add: These estimates are different viewer counts, not actual views.

-H

Disclaimer:

Last edited by Icon of Sin; 07-30-2019 at 02:20 PM.

Old
  (#45)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
07-30-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
I doubt more than 100 people world wide would pay ANY money to watch this. The value is not monetary, itís in John pointing to a free video and saying ďlook what I didĒ for the rest of his life. Thatís worth a lot more than a few bucks he might eventually make with a paid video. IMO of course.
As they say...

A belt just holds up your pants.

Page 3 of 84 123 451353 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: