Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page Tips for removing a pin without marring the surface?

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Tips for removing a pin without marring the surface?
Old
  (#1)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate
ideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Unhappy Tips for removing a pin without marring the surface? - 08-10-2019, 11:06 AM

I have some soft-jaw pliers and a few other tricks for unscrewing a pin without damaging it. This doesn't matter so much on modern cues, but vintage items with original pins... it would be nice to use the original pin.

The particular pin I'm working on is a real bear and I'm not having any luck. Have heated up the pin for 30+ minutes and every method I have is just cutting threads into the soft materials I'm using to save the pin.

If you have any tips on how to get a pin out without damaging it, please let me know

Make sure you check your references before you buy on this site. Even a mod here engages in bad business!

Old
  (#2)
simco
AzB Silver Member
simco has a reputation beyond reputesimco has a reputation beyond reputesimco has a reputation beyond reputesimco has a reputation beyond reputesimco has a reputation beyond reputesimco has a reputation beyond reputesimco has a reputation beyond reputesimco has a reputation beyond reputesimco has a reputation beyond reputesimco has a reputation beyond reputesimco has a reputation beyond repute

08-10-2019, 11:23 AM

Have you tried using a nut and locknut plus heat,this would give you
the hex nut to apply a wrench instead of any thing soft.

Old
  (#3)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member
Kim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond repute

08-10-2019, 11:34 AM

It can be done. But I always think of the pin I remove as trash, as I cant remove the pin without damaging it with any reliability. Some pins come out with ease and some are next to impossible to remove. If your doing alot of that kind of work, a induction heater is worth the about $350 they cost.

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Old
  (#4)
Ssonerai
AzB Silver Member
Ssonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond reputeSsonerai has a reputation beyond repute

08-10-2019, 11:49 AM

Thread a piece of aluminum and saw a slit in it, then thread on the pin, and squeeze it in a vise. If it's a common machine thread, you can slit a common nut, and use that squeezed in the vise. Less likely to bugger the existing threads than using a pair of jamb nuts if the stud is really tight.

As Kim notes, difficult not to do damage. With long enough threaded section, my method won't mar the threads, but it's pretty difficult not to bend the pin, even when you think you aren't.

smt

Old
  (#5)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

08-10-2019, 11:54 AM

If you had an induction heater, maybe.

Old
  (#6)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate
ideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond repute

08-10-2019, 12:09 PM

The heat is fine, I can feel warmth emanating through the forearm.

I just can't get the torque to pull it out.

I'll try the locknut method next, it's oversized 3/8-10 so I'll need to dick around and make nuts for this

Make sure you check your references before you buy on this site. Even a mod here engages in bad business!

Old
  (#7)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

08-10-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideologist View Post
The heat is fine, I can feel warmth emanating through the forearm.

I just can't get the torque to pull it out.

I'll try the locknut method next, it's oversized 3/8-10 so I'll need to dick around and make nuts for this
If it's not orange, it's not enough heat if they used epoxy.
If they ground a flat at the bottom and the epoxy is not burnt to a goo, the screw ain't moving .

Saving the screw wouldn't even be an option to me. I consider it toasted if I'm removing .
Btw, when I blowtorch a screw like 3/8 10, I make a disc with 3/8 10 hole to protect the face. Two of them are even better .

Old
  (#8)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate

08-10-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
If it's not orange, it's not enough heat if they used epoxy.
If they ground a flat at the bottom and the epoxy is not burnt to a goo, the screw ain't moving .

Saving the screw wouldn't even be an option to me. I consider it toasted if I'm removing .
Btw, when I blowtorch a screw like 3/8 10, I make a disc with 3/8 10 hole to protect the face. Two of them are even better .
Its from 1972, so I'm not sure what adhesive was used.

I'll see if I can get it hotter and work with locknuts. Joint is ivory so I'm not worried about heat bothering it

Old
  (#9)
tsp&b
AzB Silver Member
tsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond repute

08-11-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideologist View Post
Its from 1972, so I'm not sure what adhesive was used.

I'll see if I can get it hotter and work with locknuts. Joint is ivory so I'm not worried about heat bothering it
If the joint is real Ivory you should still be concerned about over heating it. Just use caution.... I have also had some luck using a piece of an old leather belt to grip the pin with pliers.

Todd

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
http://www.midamericapool.com

Last edited by tsp&b; 08-11-2019 at 07:42 AM.

Old
  (#10)
StrokeAnalyzer
AzB Silver Member
StrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond reputeStrokeAnalyzer has a reputation beyond repute

08-11-2019, 08:45 AM

Last pin I removed I used an old Weller soldering gun to heat the pin. It worked too.

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-D650-I.../dp/B000JEGEC0

Got to be patient as its tricky to hold the hot tip on the pin. Might be a better way to attach to the pin instead of holding the gun by hand.I seem to remember the pin came out in around 10mins.

Old
  (#11)
CuesDirectly
AzB Silver Member

CuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond repute

08-11-2019, 10:10 AM

Exercise resistance bands.

Think of a very large rubber band that is around 3" wide and 1/16" thick. Cut it so it's no longer round but straight.

Wrap it tightly around the Pin and keep wrapping until its thicker than the joint.

Start twisting and the force will increase more than your wrist can create. Sorta like a dragster tire at the starting line creating more force.

It will not remove them all but you will find it helpful and it will be a nice addition to any shop.

----------------------------------------------

David Brainard, custom Cuemaker
My website is CuesDirectly.com
Email, CuesDirectly@gmail.com
Facebook under both names
503 930-7776 5am -5pm West Coast time

Old
  (#12)
cuetrip
AzB Silver Member
cuetrip has a reputation beyond reputecuetrip has a reputation beyond reputecuetrip has a reputation beyond reputecuetrip has a reputation beyond reputecuetrip has a reputation beyond reputecuetrip has a reputation beyond reputecuetrip has a reputation beyond reputecuetrip has a reputation beyond reputecuetrip has a reputation beyond reputecuetrip has a reputation beyond reputecuetrip has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

08-15-2019, 06:26 PM

I slip a large fender washer (or two) onto the pin to protect the cue and use vice grips with a piece of scrap leather to grab the pin. Hasn't failed me yet but I did have one where I had to use my torch long enough to make the pin glow red.

Old
  (#13)
L I F D 1
L S S T 10
L I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond repute

08-15-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuetrip View Post
I slip a large fender washer (or two) onto the pin to protect the cue and use vice grips with a piece of scrap leather to grab the pin. Hasn't failed me yet but I did have one where I had to use my torch long enough to make the pin glow red.
Acetylene , hit the tip with an acetylene to unfreeze it. That should melt whatever's holding it.
You said you crushed some threads, maybe you don't have a pin to save?

Old
  (#14)
simco
AzB Silver Member
simco has a reputation beyond reputesimco has a reputation beyond reputesimco has a reputation beyond reputesimco has a reputation beyond reputesimco has a reputation beyond reputesimco has a reputation beyond reputesimco has a reputation beyond reputesimco has a reputation beyond reputesimco has a reputation beyond reputesimco has a reputation beyond reputesimco has a reputation beyond repute

08-21-2019, 07:08 AM

Did you ever get this joint pin removed? If so which method proved to be successful?
Your answer may help some of us with future projects.Thanks in advance.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: