I love Danny Diliberto but this commentary is brutal.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could any of my fellow AZBilliard people please tell me what Tournaments ( Big or Small) that Danny DiLiberto has won in his Pool Career? It seems that he has played every old time player, and won of course, and would like to know a little more about his Career, Thanks!
Well, he won the Johnston city all around tournament.. Since pool has never really had a tour, like a lot of other players he won a lot of state wide tournaments around the country.

He was twice runner up in the BCA US Open. He beat most everybody of his era at any one time. I sat there and watched him beat Miz for $5000. playing straight pool a 400 point game. Danny had a run of over 200 in that game.

In Miz's book miz says the next day Danny would not give him a return match. This was not true. Danny had backers who blew the money at the dog track and Miz left town before they could put together another group to put up the money.

Danny also beat Cisero Murphy the same type of match again running around 200 in the match. Danny wasted a lot of his prime years hanging around Miami going to the dog tracks, fishing and playing here and there.

He went quite a few years not hardly playing at all. This may account for much of his lack or tournaments wins. You have to go to them and play to win. Most were just a waste of time and money with no prize funds.

Not to mention, living in south Florida is like the end of the world compared to the rest of the country. It is like 450 miles to the state line. I was at a 9 ball tournament once and I had I think some bad food or something. I could not play I was really sick

I was looking to sell my entry spot for like half price. Danny came in and I gave it to him and we went half's. He didn't even want to play he was there I guess maybe to match up or something.

He blew right through the tournament winning easily. Lots of good players, Steve Cook, David Howard, Grady Mathews, Miz and others I can't remember. And Danny didn't really play 9 ball.

I saw him win a ring 9 ball tournament. They played with chips like the poker tournaments and you had to bust the table to move on. In the final there were 4 players on the table and at a point it was just Danny and another black player real good player.

Danny was almost out of chips and it looked like it was over. Danny began making a come back and 15 hours later he busted the guy. Danny could really play no doubt it. Very good under pressure.

Don't go so much by tournaments wins. Unless you were a tournament fanatic like say Sigel, who probably spent as much going to tournaments as he ever won, it was pretty hard to have a very good resume. Tournaments were few and far between and paid almost nothing. I think Danny would rather go fishing most of the time.

I think a funny thing happened with Danny. He was discovered by a new generation with the internet. Doing the commentary and so on he has become somewhat of an Icon, a status he never had before. It came along later on in life and I am glad he has had the opportunity to enjoy some recognition now.

Last edited:

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like listening to Danny and I am very thankful it isn't that Alvin guy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JMuck

Silver Member
Good post macguy.Context and back story can make a difference in judging why Danny is there.I think he still belongs.

Get bigger monitors for him and he might not miss a lick.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny D is a legend. hes been there and done that. I don't care if he talks about boxing, or bowling, he SHOULD be in the booth. You guys can have your boring commentators that cant carry Danny's pool case.

Ian

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't mind too much his continued commentating, but only if the other guy had the cojones to occasionally say.."Danny, what the hell are you talking about. That ball wasn't anywhere close to scratching".

Hal2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post macguy and I second your opinion. I enjoy listening to Danny along with his candor and stories.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I enjoy Danny commentating and telling some great stories, I respect him and would never :nono: think of replacing him in the booth. He is a treasure to the pool world and should be appreciated by all. :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I am more likely to buy a ppv stream if Danny is commentating. He has his on and off days as far as calling and predicting shots, but I always enjoy his stories and sense of humor.

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
I don't enjoy reading books in the least and can't stick with one but I read this cover to cover and enjoyed every second of it.
I read it cover to cover as well. Thoroughly enjoyed every second of it too. All three of them.

Then I turned it over and thought "What the hell are all these pages of paper for?"

Boro Nut

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also found myself shaking my head at some of DD's calls yesterday, but he is an Icon and I would rather listen to him than 90% of the other commentators. Keep on truckin' Danny Boy!!

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Danny D is a legend. hes been there and done that. I don't care if he talks about boxing, or bowling, he SHOULD be in the booth. You guys can have your boring commentators that cant carry Danny's pool case.

Ian

I couldn't agree more. Sure he's not seeing them all correctly, but its a joy to have him. Its the younger guys with no exposure to the past more likely to not appreciate him. He wont be with us forever so why not savor his thoughts .

If it wasn't for Danny I couldn't even watch that paint by number crap. Yeah, yeah... they are straight shooters, i get it already.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's possible to respect the things he's done AND not like him commentating. I don't care if he's off on the shot they gonna play or if he's calling the wrong ball. When a guy plays a shot he disagrees with & then if it turns out he was "right" he tells you nonstop he was right and makes it about Danny Deliberto and "he lost this game when he played the wrong shot & if he woulda played my shot"...etc. I'm not watching to see or hear about when DD is "right". Or him saying (probably 10 times) during game 1 of SVB/Shannon Daulton 1p match that "Shane is out here" as if he's gonna win a prize for guessing SVB gonna go 8 & out. It's nothing personal at all, I don't like many announcers. It's a tough job & everyone has different tastes. I love his book & respect everything he's done, but, eh not my cup of tea regarding announcing. His knowledge can't be argued with. I do enjoy that he sees most shots immediately

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
In the words of my late Father...you'll miss me when I'm gone.

Danny-isms of note:
  1. He took the least path to Snookerdom
  2. He's mad at his backer
  3. He's mad at his wallet
  4. etc

Nick

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed, Danny is a treasure. He might not be as accurate on his calls as he used to be, but give the guy a break. He's older and he had a stroke a while back.
A couple of guys I miss doing the booth are Nick and Buddy. Good play by play, and some colorful stories as filler. Another untapped resource is Earl. I head him on a match and was pleasantly surprised by his charm.
Chuck

Sent from my iPhone
Any spelling errors I'm blaming on autocorrect :)

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the words of my late Father...you'll miss me when I'm gone.

Danny-isms of note:
  1. He took the least path to Snookerdom
  2. He's mad at his backer
  3. He's mad at his wallet
  4. etc

Nick

Sleeping in the street.
Well, he didn't lose his head.

Would love to get a list going. He's got some great ones