highresrollsafe.jpg

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HrGbYTF

https://ibb.co/HrGbYTF
Damn, that ferrule is long.
Those tips are pretty thick too.
Nowadays, I rarely get 1" long ferrule request.
Never longer than 1".
And almost everyone wants trimmed tips.

People were told what they were getting before they bought them.

FWIW, I like tall tips. I never cut mine down, unless something is wrong with them. The only tips I have cut down in years were some new Kamui Black SS tips I put on a couple of my shafts. Those tips SUCKED until I cut about a third of them off. However, once they were cut down, they were still pretty tall. I use Ultra-skin tips now and I never cut them down. I only shape them.

I don't care how long a ferrule is, unless it has super high deflection that is uncontrollable. I have shafts with no ferrules and I have shafts with ferrules as long as the old Meucci ferrules.

I can run racks with my Becue fully-carbon cue with no ferrule and I can run racks with my cheapest cues with wood shafts with long ferrules. And I can switch back and forth pretty much with no problem after a couple racks of hitting the balls. Just like anything else, you may be able to do something a "little better" with one thing than another, but if you can play you shouldn't be floundering around dead in the water when you switch cues.

Have you ever watched the Taiwan players? I'll answer for you. I know you have.

Ask Timothy Soong, the cue dealer in Taipei, what they want and play with and I'm sure you know that already, as well. I've talked to him and every time he has said they want "thick wood shafts with long ferrules and lots of deflection".

So, no matter what you like or your customers may want, it isn't what others may prefer. I know a doctor here that plays with one of your cues and I'm sure any of the Taiwan pros could spot him the 3-out in 9-ball. I don't think his shorter ferrule is going to give him too much of an advantage. That isn't a knock on your cues, he couldn't beat them with a billy club, either.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
People were told what they were getting before they bought them.

Have you ever watched the Taiwan players? I'll answer for you. I know you have.

Yes. Lots of them have the stock 1" melamine on their SW.
They do hand sand the shafts though.
Hence the " Taiwan" fat shafts . Some request 13.25mm then sand them while the shafts are acclimating there.
Never seen more than 1" ferrules though .
And lots of them like tips that are barely .200 thick.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. Lots of them have the stock 1" melamine on their SW.
They do hand sand the shafts though.
Hence the " Taiwan" fat shafts . Some request 13.25mm then sand them while the shafts are acclimating there.
Never seen more than 1" ferrules though .
And lots of them like tips that are barely .200 thick.

I spent decades playing with 14mm shafts on my production cues and my custom cues.

The only Predator shaft I have is a Predator 2 FAT (13.2MM) shaft that I bought as a blank and had custom fitted to my Pancerny Titlist conversion. Those were the ones that were supposedly made for Taiwan players.

I was in Taiwan last year and visited a few pool halls. The players seemed to prefer softer type tips, too.

I played pool in Taiwan back before they ever started playing American pool. I NEVER saw an American pool table ONCE, anywhere, when I lived there for three years, except for the ones in the American military clubs and recreation centers. The Taiwanese all played snooker and I lived on top of a snooker hall for a year, or so, in the last place I stayed before I left.

The military used to hold annual Island-wide 14.1 pool tournaments and ping pong tournaments with the Taiwanese and I won the pool tournaments for two consecutive years. Of course, the Taiwanese KILLED everybody playing ping pong, which I couldn't and didn't play, then or now. Those tournaments were fun back then. They would set them up in a big hangar and there would be hundreds of people sitting on the bleachers watching.

One of the things I remember most from the last tournament was that they had put brand new cloth on all the tables and we were the first players to ever use them. I don't know what kind of cloth it was or where it was made, but the fibers were LONG and stuck up like astro-turf. The cloth was put on by the Taiwanese table mechanics, so it may have been Chinese cloth. Weirdest cloth I've ever seen, ever. It was SLOW and you had to knock the hell out of the cue ball to get it around the table.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hawaiian Eye been rocking the camera on this cell phone...

old-school-phone-3.jpg

I couldn't even tell if that was a broom or a cue in your pic. All jokes aside, if someone can tell what taper you got from the pics you posted, damn they deserve a medal.

LOL.

That phone may be BETTER than my phone.

I haven't bought a new cell phone in over 20 years. I still have the original one I bought, but it didn't have a camera. :)

I pay the insurance scam on my phone...something like $6 a month. Every time my phone starts messing up, I send them the shit back and get a new phone. Of course, by the time my phone messes up, that model is no longer available and they substitute it with a "similar" phone. Over the years, I've only gotten one TOP OF THE LINE BRAND NEW free...a Samsung Galaxy 2, when it first came out. It was a one-time Valentine's day promotion. Since that time, every trade-in has gotten worse and worse, but I've yet to have to buy a new phone in over 20 years.

I know the monthly costs add up to a few bucks a year, but the insurance covers me even if I drop the phone and break it, which I have yet to do.

I keep saying I'm going to get a better phone, but I'm not one of those people who are addicted to their phones and downloading a thousand apps and games. I use it for talking, messaging, a bit of browsing, and for GPS. That is all I need, however I would like a good quality camera.

Maybe y'all should start a Go Fund Me to get me a new phone. :)