Turning point of getting to next level of play

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are 100% correct....

Once you have the tools what sets people apart is focus. You have to plan the outs and take nothing for granted.

If the eyes are not correct, Perfect, you cannot focus because it is a false picture to the brain.

Focus, confidence and every part of the game.

Major reason players jump or twist while stroking the shot.

They knew it didn't look right. It just didn't look right and the player didn't know how to correct it?

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
focus

The best thing I did to improve my game was to go to Madison Wi and take a course from Jerry B thirty years ago.I have decent mechanics and a psr but playing for fun all the time with lesser players cuases my mental game to flounder .

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the eyes are not correct, Perfect, you cannot focus because it is a false picture to the brain.

Focus, confidence and every part of the game.

Major reason players jump or twist while stroking the shot.

They knew it didn't look right. It just didn't look right and the player didn't know how to correct it?

Most of us, self included are "mostly consistent". We know that whatever it is, it works. Still, there are those pesky shots that tend to defy our finest efforts. You see that the shooter will bias the shot per what he sees. This is why I look at the cue ball last. (Thanks for reinforcing that notion :D)

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few posters mention moving the cueball around.

I was advised decades ago when a teen to watch the cueball after contact rather than the object ball. However, not try to position it until I had a feel for its movement. Then make up a fun practice of contacting an object ball ( not sinking it) but just trying to position the cueball

We can over analyze but this helped me focus more on position than sinking balls. I’ve never had an issue aiming...it just comes with practice. The ‘next level’ is getting the cueball around the table.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I'm not really every going to the next level. I play well enough to cash in some tournaments, sometimes ones where I'm not supposed to cash. Local level tournaments I'm a favorite, get out of town and I'm not. I play at a level I can get games, sometimes getting a spot, sometimes playing even, and sometimes giving a spot.

I play about 5 months out of the year, late november-late march most years. Don't own a table to practice on, and know I'll never play much better than I do now without dedicating time to practice. At 50 I'm not willing to give up the time.