Corey's Symmetrical 10-Ball Break...

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was a pretty nice breakdown. I kind of bet though that if any of us mortals tried it the success rate might be 25%.

It’s been a while, but I believe Corey’s 10 ball soft break vs Shane in TAR1 was different? I forget.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That was a pretty nice breakdown. I kind of bet though that if any of us mortals tried it the success rate might be 25%.
... .
Only because of the rack or the balls. There is no real skill involved except for hitting the front ball full.

A commentator in the tournament clips mentioned the 3-point rule. All of the breaks satisfied the 3-point rule because the two corner balls go into the kitchen every time. They usually pass or collide right at the center of the head rail, where Corey bridged.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Only because of the rack or the balls. There is no real skill involved except for hitting the front ball full.

A commentator in the tournament clips mentioned the 3-point rule. All of the breaks satisfied the 3-point rule because the two corner balls go into the kitchen every time. They usually pass or collide right at the center of the head rail, where Corey bridged.
Corey's the Mad Break Mechanic.

pj
chgo

Corey's Symmetrical 10 Ball Break.jpg

Last edited:

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The two balls behind the head ball go regardless of speed?

Corey does come up with breaks that are out of the ordinary. He has quite an understanding of the rack.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The two balls behind the head ball go regardless of speed?

Corey does come up with breaks that are out of the ordinary. He has quite an understanding of the rack.
There is some minimum speed and it probably takes a very tight rack, but yes. Most players shoot harder when they are trying to make the second-row balls.

There is a chance for the two corner balls to kiss out the second-row balls since their paths cross. If you watch the timing, the corner balls pass the crossing point first. That could change at other speeds. It will also change if the row of four balls down the side is not tight.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When I first got my magic rack 10 or so years ago, I spent a few minutes trying to make the wing ball on the soft break (9 ball). My make percentage was super low. I never tried it again after that, figuring 1) I can't run out anyway, 2) breaking hard is more fun:)

I may try this technique and report back, because it looks more clear cut what you are supposed to do.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I first got my magic rack 10 or so years ago, I spent a few minutes trying to make the wing ball on the soft break (9 ball). My make percentage was super low. ...
You had gaps. The wing ball with a tight rack and the one on the spot is over 90% in my experience on every table I've tried it on.

Try racking on the end that doesn't already have craters.

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I first got my magic rack 10 or so years ago, I spent a few minutes trying to make the wing ball on the soft break (9 ball). My make percentage was super low. I never tried it again after that, figuring 1) I can't run out anyway, 2) breaking hard is more fun:)

I may try this technique and report back, because it looks more clear cut what you are supposed to do.

I've found for the 9-ball soft break, you have to break from the side and hit the 1-ball square with slight draw.