[one of] my happiest day ...

HaiNhi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Today is probably one of my happiest days ... I'm just done talking with my wife about carom table ...

Just a quick rewind: I'm now in my early 40s. I started playing straight rail in my teen years. I love the game but never have a chance to practice much - so my best is still only around 5-10 points max/inning, average about 2-3. Now I'm starting to learn 3C - so it's even worst. :)

I bought an Olhausen about 9-10 years ago. In the last 2 houses we're in since marriage, I built a play room big enough for it. But always got denied (to bring it home) because of the births of my 2 sons. We needed the room for them to play in.

Now they're 7 & 9. They can play outdoor more. So I suggested it to her one more time. And the answer is YES!!! Hehehe. I'm so thrilled for that.

I now have 3 tables. 1 got set up in my community center (for youth group) for friends and parents of the kids in the group. For my house, my options are:

1) Use one of the 2 spares (also Olhausen), change to Artemis cushion, and Royal Pro cloth
2) Look for either Europa Masters from Chevillotte or Gabriels.

I'm pretty exciting about the opportunity. In the next month or so, I will have to clean up the area to make room for the table, and make the table choice decision as well. Lots of work ahead to get busy .... :)

Any one know of great deal on good table, please let me know. Thanks much.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Very kool of you to setup up for the community
I would do the same if i had tables to spare

HaiNhi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There’s one guy posting up here trying to sell his pool hall, then his tables. I went there, got carried away and ended up buying 2. So that’s why I’m debating in using one of them at my house or get a new one.

In any case, I still need to sell off at least one to use funds for other 2! :).

HaiNhi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haha.

Right now I’m trying to make the Olhausen table works at my house. It keeps giving me that thudding sound, and balls bouncing off rails. Driving me crazy.

I’m also waiting for a guy to tell me how much he wants to sell his Chevillotte for.

So, if I can make the Olhausen works perfect, and the asking price for Chevillotte is too much, I’ll keep the O. Else, keep looking.

If I can’t make the Olhausen works great to perfect, European table for sure, no mater the cost (even though deal is always better than no deal)!!!

Anything extra will be sold after that - to reduce investment somewhat. 😁

Well, that’s the plan anyway.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it was me I would just check in with YesYura regularly and wait for the first used, European table with a recognizable brand name that comes up for a good price. I'm very happy with the price, delivery and installation I got from him on a used Gabriels, but truthfully if I'd spent a year or so watching and waiting I'd have saved a few grand.

However, I put 100s of hours of practice time in on that table that I bought quickly, and though I may have otherwise saved $$$ by waiting, the playing I've done and the time spent teaching my boys to play is worth the extra money spent.

When I think about the fact I used to play 20-25 hours a week at $8/hour in rooms for several years, it's a no-brainer. In a perfect world I'd have other people locally who would want to split the cost of a table and someplace like a rented space to keep it but I don't, so a home table made the most sense.

South Louisiana is a billiards desert.

HaiNhi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Chevillotte I mentioned above is an European too. Looks very nice but the current owner hasn’t made his mind of when he would let it go - after 3-4 months of my initial talk.

So yeah - until then, I’ll see what I can come up with. By this weekends I should have my table done. Will show and tell then. :)