Tomahawk ferrule reviews

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello to all.
As many of you know, sometime ago, I uncovered a material that I believed would make an excellent ferrule. It was/is light in weight, pleasing in color, VERY strong, and extremely chalk resistant. I have had the pleasure of dealing with many cuemakers, repairpersons, etc., and I am sincerely interested in reviews from not only these folks, but from players as well. Any feedback is welcome so long as it's sincere, and without any vulgarity. I appreciate the many dealings with all of you, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
As always, my very best regards. :cool:
j2

Remy

Fear none, respect all.
Silver Member
Awesome

I have been using the tomahawk since it became available and I absolutely love it!

IMO it's the best material for ferrules after ivory which is almost impossible to get anymore anyway.

I like its medium hard to hard hit and best of all it does not get dirty at all.

I'm getting a Pierce cue made and the tomahawk will be used on the joint, buttcap and ferrules.

Thanks a bunch again Joe. I will be in touch as soon as the cue is in my hands :smile:

Sorry for the crappy pic, it was taken with my phone.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been using the tomahawk since it became available and I absolutely love it!

IMO it's the best material for ferrules after ivory which is almost impossible to get anymore anyway.

I like its medium hard to hard hit and best of all it does not get dirty at all.

I'm getting a Pierce cue made and the tomahawk will be used on the joint, buttcap and ferrules.

Thanks a bunch again Joe. I will be in touch as soon as the cue is in my hands :smile:

Sorry for the crappy pic, it was taken with my phone.

Thank you Remy. I am extremely glad that you like the material, and I can't wait to see the upcoming pics of your Pierce. Should be a helluva player, as I hear Jim makes a very nice cue. :cool:
A sincere thank you!
All the best.
Joe P

Remy

Fear none, respect all.
Silver Member
Joe I forgot to mention that I also have another cue ordered from Kelly Peterson of MVP cues and the tomahawk will also be used for the ferrules.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Joe I forgot to mention that I also have another cue ordered from Kelly Peterson of MVP cues and the tomahawk will also be used for the ferrules.

I am sure that you will enjoy your MVP as well. Would love to see pics of it, your Pierce, and more pics of your Olneys when you get the chance.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is my first thoughts on a review I wrote in the other thread;

I bought a foot of this material to try on different cues. Note that I am not an exprerienced cue maker and I cannot go too deep in comparision to other materials as I havent worked with many in cue making. Machining plastics is something that I am really familiar with though as I work as a CNC machinist and used to work in a place where I would machine all kinds of different plastics in to bushings, seals, jigs and everything one can imagine. So I know what to look for in a material when cutting it.

Here are my thoughts on it :rolleyes:

The Tomahawk material is very deep in colour. It feels very stiff in your hands and is a bit darker in colour in the rod form. It lightens quite a lot when polished to a shine.
It cuts exactly as in mr. Dzurickys videos, with ribbons when turning and it heats up easily with dull cutting bits. As with all plastic materials, sharp tools and patience are required when working on. With a decent lathe and sharp tools it is rather easy to cut and doesnt need any special thought. From a machinists point of view I approve the cutting properties :thumbup:

I changed the ferrules of a Players HXT shaft and later a Predator 314'2 shaft. For the HXT I had to make tiny grooves on the tenon as it's LD properties are achieved by using some sort of light and very fragile wood in the tenon.

Below are some pictures on work in progress along with the finished products.

Old ferrule cut off the HXT, note the amount of glue residue on the tenon

Tenon cleaned and shallow grooves cut for the glue

New Tomahawk ferrule ready to install

Left to dry overnight

Cut to size, polished and G2 hard installed

For the HXT shaft I used the same tip that was on it before the ferrule change to be able to do some real comparasion of just the ferrule. From the very first hit it was evident that the ferrule job was an improvement over the standard ferrule on it. The feel of the shaft is much better, it feels a lot like a Mezz with this new ferrule like my brother described it when he played a rack with it after the change. An other note is the energy transfer, the shaft really came to life after getting a new ferrule on it. I can use less force to get the same action as before. I really like this setup a lot, it just works well together. And the ferrule stays clean very well, any chalk can be wiped off without leaving any blue on it.
I wonder how much of this caused by the poor fitment of the standard ferrule... There was a lot of epoxy on the tenon as the original ferrule was oversized to the tenon :confused:

As I liked the material a lot in the HXT, I then proceeded to do the same on my 314'2.
The reason I changed this ferrule was the fact that the original ferrule turns blue from chalk all the time and the shaft had developed a numb feeling hit for whatever reason :confused:

I was confused a bit when I cut off the old ferrule on this shaft as I expected to find a tenon with 2 different diameters as is seen on kendocues repair article, but there was nothing such to be found on my shaft. And I went slowly, under 0.1mm at a time to be sure I didnt damage the tenon that is really thin.

Left to dry. Note the LePro tip there, I put it there to make sure I dont accidentally glue the shaft to my lathe :thumbup: It was easy to remove even though some epoxy from the glue relief hole stuck to it. I guess it did its job then.

Cut to size. Note the glue relief hole on the face. I drilled a 1mm hole on the ferrule to let the air out when glueing on the new ferrule. It filled up with epoxy so it doenst leave any defects on the face when the glue is set.

The finished shaft. The tip is a Zan Hybrid Max.

The difference in feel compared to what it used to be is substantial. A lot more feedback comes from the hit and it feels a bit harder when struck. Some similarities can be found to the hit of 1st gen 314's now, it has the same snap on hit now. I initually felt that I may need a grade softer tip with it but for now I have gotten used to it already. As the sound is pleasant with the Hybrid Max and it plays fantastically well, I am going to give it a few weeks now.
I must say that it was definitely worth the effort changing the ferrule on this shaft too. As predators are notorious for the lack of feel, I feel (no pun intended) that a harder ferrule brings some back to it. Deflection is something that I was worried about before starting this project but to my pleasant surprise there was no discriminable difference between the two materials in my opinion. If there is a difference there I feel that any deflection gained is made up by the nicer acoustic characterics and the lack of chalk absorption of the Tomahawk ferrule.

Thank you j2pac for supplying me with the material.

And as for today I stand by those words. The material is one of the best materials out there for a ferrule in my opinion. It stays clean and pretty for a long time and the hits just feels so right for my taste. I actually described Tomahawk over at FB to someone asking about it that it is a lot like Juma 2.0. It has the same sweet hit to it but it is lighter and prettier :thumbup:
I use this exclusively on all my playing shafts except an old Predator that I have. I am also going to have tomahawk ferrules on my Lomax when it arrives, thank you j2pac for supplying him with the material for my ferrules.
It works just as well in black too. I have a black ferrule on my bar beater HXT, have had since the black came available and it still like new from install.

I would recommend trying the material out if you haven't already.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been watching the for sale threads on this and really wish to know more.

I hope to see more reviews from the installers and the players.

The material sounds absolutely great so far.

Please, those that install them and those that play them, let's hear more about them!

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As most of you know

Kelly Peterson here at AZB has taken over ownership/distribution of the material. This happened some time ago. I would appreciate any feedback on the material that anyone would care to offer. It's a fantastic material IMO, and I truly hope you all continue to support KP, and the material.
My sincere thanks to all. :)

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used Tomahawk ferrule material for all kinds of repairs and they hold up well. The material is lightweight, polishes to a high gloss and it`s easy to machine.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How well is this for LD shafts that use thin/hollow ferrules? Is the material lighter than normal ferrule plastics?

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How well is this for LD shafts that use thin/hollow ferrules? Is the material lighter than normal ferrule plastics?

Most of the cuemakers that I have had interaction with, during my time as the owner of the material, did not experience any negative issues when using the Tomahawk for "LD" repair/replacement. Most of the folks that I dealt with directly, also expressed an opinion that indicated an improvement in both hit, and acoustics. Granted, these are both relatively subjective variables, so take that for what it's worth. Yes, it is lighter than most all LD plastics, save for a miniscule weight disadvantage to Isoplast. However the Tomahawk has a tensile, and impact strength advantage over that material. All things considered, it is a good LD choice. What I would suggest is, if you have ANY concern about a manufacturer shaft warranty...let the manufacturer handle the repair. If you dont, give it a go, and decide whether or not you like what the material has to offer. Also, if you know someone who is currently using a shaft already sporting the Tomahawk, see if they will let you test drive it. Hope this helps. :cool:
Best regards.
Joe P

I wanted to add to this post, an edit clarifying ownership of the material. Kelly Peterson (MVPcues) here at AZB is the proprietor of the Tomahawk material. After re-reading this post, I wanted to clarify any potential confusion. :)

Last edited:

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes. Here are some ferrule densities relative to maple, lifted from Bob Dzuricky's web site. Tomahawk is the lightest of all of the these but one of the stronger ones.

Material Rank
Maple 1.0000
Tomahawk 1.7517
Ivorine 3 1.8601
Mason's Micarta 1.8605
PVC 1.8906
Elforyn 1.9245
Atlas MPI 1.9270
Aegis2 1.9533
LBM 2.0305
Juma 2.0587
Ivorine 4 2.6786

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I`ve used Tomahawk for multiple 314² and Z² repairs, all the ones I`ve done still hold up, some have been played with for atleast a year now.