AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought Filler went back to Germany.

I want to see Filler play SVB in a long 10 ball race someday

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if tony isn't totally off his game it's gonna be real tough for filler

Does Filler not know how to play one pocket?

If he knows some he should be the favorite- Orcollo was able to beat T-Rex mainly because he shoots straighter and we all know Filler may be the straightest shooter in the world

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
if tony isn't totally off his game it's gonna be real tough for filler

That's how I feel. Obviously, Filler will be much more dependable at running out when the opportunities present themselves, but one pocket is also about creating those chances, and because of his superior knowledge, Chohan should have quite a few more good looks at a runout than Filler.

If there has ever been a 22 year old pool player that could be expected to hang with the best at one pocket, they weren't on my radar. Shane's first Derby City 1-pocket crown came at age 27. Pagulayan's first Derby City 1-pocket title came at age 36. Efren's most dominant years at 1-pocket were in his early 50's. Billy Thorpe is the only one that might possibly qualify, having won the 1-pocket event at Derby City in 2017, but he'd already been playing the game for many years. Even the greats usually needed time to develop their knowledge to the point needed to take on the elite successfully.

Still, Filler may have the greatest work ethic our sport has ever seen, perhaps greater than legendary practice room workaholics like Sigel, Strickland, Reyes, Parica, and Van Boening. I wonder if we've seen such a serious student of the game since Efren. Filler also has the inclination to regularly match up with the giants of the various disciplines, gambling with JL Chang at 10-ball, with both Shannon Murphy and Evan Lunda at bank pool, with Jayson Shaw at 9-ball, and now with Tony Chohan at 1-pocket.

Maybe Josh will surprise me, but I give Chohan an edge here. That said, if Tony is a little off, he's vulnerable here. Wishing both of these fine players good luck.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's how I feel. Obviously, Filler will be much more dependable at running out when the opportunities present themselves, but one pocket is also about creating those chances, and because of his superior knowledge, Chohan should have quite a few more good looks at a runout than Filler.

If there has ever been a 22 year old pool player that could be expected to hang with the best at one pocket, they weren't on my radar. Shane's first Derby City 1-pocket crown came at age 27. Pagulayan's first Derby City 1-pocket title came at age 36. Efren's most dominant years at 1-pocket were in his early 50's. Billy Thorpe is the only one that might possibly qualify, having won the 1-pocket event at Derby City in 2017, but he'd already been playing the game for many years. Even the greats usually needed time to develop their knowledge to the point needed to take on the elite successfully.

Still, Filler may have the greatest work ethic our sport has ever seen, perhaps greater than legendary practice room workaholics like Sigel, Strickland, Reyes, Parica, and Van Boening. I wonder if we've seen such a serious student of the game since Efren. Filler also has the inclination to regularly match up with the giants of the various disciplines, gambling with JL Chang at 10-ball, with both Shannon Murphy and Evan Lunda at bank pool, with Jayson Shaw at 9-ball, and now with Tony Chohan at 1-pocket.

Maybe Josh will surprise me, but I give Chohan an edge here. That said, if Tony is a little off, he's vulnerable here. Wishing both of these fine players good luck.
I don't expect it but It won't surprise me I don't know if I've ever seen a player learn as fast as he does , he's facing a whole differant animal here though, it will be a great experience for him .
I think one pocket is much more trendy now than it was back when those players you mentioned started plaiying

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gonna be like a home run derby and I don't think tony is gonna be able to combat a free-for-all.

Are they playing in a neutral location,anybody know?

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
If they are going back to Germany, I guess the Bergman match is cancelled?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is a pretty big jump up in class from Brandon Shuff to Tony Chohan. I guess Filler wants to be the champ at all games! :wink:

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is a pretty big jump up in class from Brandon Shuff to Tony Chohan. I guess Filler wants to be the champ at all games! :wink:

I watched him playing a little against Brandon,
FIller seems to be shooting 1 P pretty sporty"
I am thinking,
If Tony on his top game and ALSO taking his time-
He supposed to win, right ?

4railer

Registered
Does anyone know if this will be on Roy’s YouTube channel or his Facebook? I’m looking to see if we can watch after the fact ? Thanks

benny-the-blade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know if this will be on Roy’s YouTube channel or his Facebook? I’m looking to see if we can watch after the fact ? Thanks

I’m certain Roy will put the match on YouTube, after it’s done. He’s put up Josh’s other recent matches there, so I can’t see why he wouldn’t do the same with this one.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched him playing a little against Brandon,
FIller seems to be shooting 1 P pretty sporty"
I am thinking,
If Tony on his top game and ALSO taking his time-
He supposed to win, right ?
supposed to is kind of a thing of the past.

In the last decade, running balls has been giving outmoving your opponent 13-6. And winning.

Depends on what tony leaves when he steps away from the table. Filler runs 4s and 6s like I run 1s and 10+ per inning is a regular occurrence.