last mosconi spot

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I don't know that we have a better analyst of pool players on here than SJM. And he can back up everything he says with clear recollections of matches each respective player has been in. We are fortunate to have people like him and AtLarge with his stats and Mike Page with Fargo Rate to keep us informed about the relative skills of our top players. They are a Godsend in a sport with no clear organizing body to keep records of all our major competitions.

As for little old me I have my own thoughts about the two players in question here. IMO Corey for whatever reason does not seem to perform at his best in the MC. In other tournament's I have seen him play brilliantly but not at the MC. Max on the other hand has been a career grinder, never reaching the illustrious heights that Corey has. Also for some unknown reason (maybe Johann and JJ?) Max appears to be playing the best pool of his life right now. Eccentricities aside I'd like to see him get his chance on the world stage. I think he's ready, and what a great story that would be if a 47 year old 'rookie' helped Team USA hold onto the title.

Wow, thanks for the kind words. Yeah, the Max story is very unexpected. Even if he make the team, I thin that, on paper, he'll be the weakest member of Team USA, and I'd say the same of Corey.

Not crystal clear how Max's flat earth views figure herr, as long as he believes in flat pool tables and round pool balls.

Last edited:

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Max is a cerebral player, not possessing of a free-wheeling stroke.
I'm worried that Max would falter under the bright lights at the Mosconi Cup, particularly in a singles match, but not so much in doubles.
But, he's worked extremely hard for this opportunity and I'd be pleased if he makes the Team.
Their finishes at the upcoming International could seal the deal for him or Corey.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Wow, thanks for the kind words. Yeah, the Max story is very unexpected. Even if he make the team, I thin that, on paper, he'll be the weakest member of Team USA, and I'd say the same of Corey.

Not crystal clear how Max's flat earth views figure her, as long as he believes in flat pool tables and round pool balls.

If the flat earth tilts a little the balls will roll funny. Max should be a lot of fun if nothing else

FrankieD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there really a 0% chance of seeing Earl in the last spot? What better way to shark the Europeans, right?!?!

nickcat0

Is there really a 0% chance of seeing Earl in the last spot? What better way to shark the Europeans, right?!?!
:D

Earl wouldn't shark anybody, but it would be great entertainment when he had one of his meltdowns.

I'm very happy that sellection for the teams seems to be done on a designated qualifying system, rather than Matchroom slecting those that they believe to provide the "best theatre".

My one gripe is that I don't like the idea of a European, especially one so closely linked to the European team, being captain of the USA team.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
My one gripe is that I don't like the idea of a European, especially one so closely linked to the European team, being captain of the USA team.

Count me among the many that had doubts about this idea. Many of us weren't sure whether Johan would have the passion for the job that an American coach could provide. Many of us wondered whether a Russia-based coach would have sufficient access to the members of Team USA to instruct and develop them. After a terrible effort by Team USA in 2017, one had to wonder.

… but Johan has proven a very hands on coach who works with the team face-to-face far more than I ever expected, offers very high quality instruction, and goes to the biggest events in the USA to interact with and to assess the play of the top American players.

Johan must also be credited with a few magical moves during his reign as coach of Team USA.

1) adding Jeremy Jones to his coaching staff. Jeremy is one of the greatest ever tacticians among American players, and tactics and defense were always a big problem during the eight year losing streak of Team USA.

2) setting up a Team England vs USA team match, using the Mosconi format, just prior to the 2018 Mosconi Cup.

3) sending his team to compete in the Kremlin Cup in Moscow in September 2019.

4) setting up a Team Russia vs USA team match, using the Mosconi format, to hel prepare his team for the 2019 Mosconi Cup.

Guess what I'm saying is that Johan has erased all doubts in the eyes of this fan.

Nonetheless, don't fret, for whenever Johan moves on, Team USA will have a very fine coach in Jeremy Jones.

I was wrong about Johan, and not too proud to admit it.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Count me among the many that had doubts about this idea. Many of us weren't sure whether Johan would have the passion for the job that an American coach could provide. Many of us wondered whether a Russia-based coach would have sufficient access to the members of Team USA to instruct and develop them. After a terrible effort by Team USA in 2017, one had to wonder.

… but Johan has proven a very hands on coach who works with the team face-to-face far more than I ever expected, offers very high quality instruction, and goes to the biggest events in the USA to interact with and to assess the play of the top American players.

Johan must also be credited with a few magical moves during his reign as coach of Team USA.

1) adding Jeremy Jones to his coaching staff. Jeremy is one of the greatest ever tacticians among American players, and tactics and defense were always a big problem during the eight year losing streak of Team USA.

2) setting up a Team England vs USA team match, using the Mosconi format, just prior to the 2018 Mosconi Cup.

4) setting up a Team Russia vs USA team match, using the Mosconi format, to hel prepare his team for the 2019 Mosconi Cup.

Guess what I'm saying is that Johan has erased all doubts in the eyes of this fan.

Nonetheless, don't fret, for whenever Johan moves on, Team USA will have a very fine coach in Jeremy Jones.

I was wrong about Johan, and not too proud to admit it.

I'm with you here. I had my doubts too, but Johann has proven himself to be an exceptional coach. One other thing about Jeremy that may be overlooked. He has been a great psychological coach as well for Team USA. He fully understands the mental aspect of playing pool and how to get ready to compete at your highest level. If your heads not right you will never play well under pressure.

Ty Arnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone had doubt about johann. But it's hard to argue with the winning team he had last year.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
UJ Puckett and Jersey Red

I'm with you here. I had my doubts too, but Johann has proven himself to be an exceptional coach. One other thing about Jeremy that may be overlooked. He has been a great psychological coach as well for Team USA. He fully understands the mental aspect of playing pool and how to get ready to compete at your highest level. If your heads not right you will never play well under pressure.

Keep in mind....

Jersery Red took em under his wing in his youth, I think late eighties or thereabouts. I did run into em, in Houston, Jan. 91 also got a taste' of Grover:bow-down:.
Jack taught em the ropes that's for sure, like UJ and Varner....almost with the same results.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:D

Earl wouldn't shark anybody, but it would be great entertainment when he had one of his meltdowns.

I'm very happy that sellection for the teams seems to be done on a designated qualifying system, rather than Matchroom slecting those that they believe to provide the "best theatre".

Look at it from Matchroom's pov: one of their biggest events was turning into a yearly rout. Routs aren't good for the bottom line. They did what they saw was a business necessity. Turns out that Barry Hearn & Co. made the correct move, as usual.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member

Johan started doing these Moscow trips straight away. They happened both in 2017 and 2018. Just to make things clear :)