shane van boening

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
My head's going to fall off if I keep shaking it like this. SVB has played 1200 games since last August, and there is ONE person on the planet who has logged more than 200 games at a higher performance rating....One. And that person has only 400 games and has not been mentioned in this thread... Everybody mentioned in this thread has a lower average performance...

Sorry, but the eye test will always be meaningful, even though I'm as big a fan of the Fargo system as anyone on the planet.

SVB's Fargo has gone up in the three year period in which he has come up empty time and time again in the biggest "internationally diverse field" events. The thing is, though, that, regardless of his Fargo, he hasn't played as well over the past three years as he did before that. A rack is a rack is a rack to Fargo, but the first rack of a match isn't as important as the last couple of racks, and winning the big titles requires winning the big racks, the racks in which late match pressure raises the stakes.

Greatness is, always has been, and always will be measured in titles. Fargo, which has added so much to our game, has great value and is objective, but, with due respect, it is not the end all measure of a player's performance.

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, but the eye test will always be meaningful, even though I'm as big a fan of the Fargo system as anyone on the planet.

SVB's Fargo has gone up in the three year period in which he has come up empty time and time again in the biggest "internationally diverse field" events. The thing is, though, that, regardless of his Fargo, he hasn't played as well over the past three years as he did before that. A rack is a rack is a rack to Fargo, but the first rack of a match isn't as important as the last couple of racks, and winning the big titles requires winning the big racks, the racks in which late match pressure raises the stakes.

Greatness is, always has been, and always be measured in titles. Fargo, which has added so much to our game, has great value and is objective, but, with due respect, it is not the end all measure of a player's performance.

+1 to the point in bold.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Greatness is, always has been, and always will be measured in titles. Fargo, which has added so much to our game, has great value and is objective, but, with due respect, it is not the end all measure of a player's performance.

Attachments

• yogi.jpg
    yogi.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 272

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gorst is quite a bit stronger than either of them. He beat Filler in the final of the last European 9-ball Championships, he won the WPA World 9-ball Championship over JL Chang in the final and he has cashed in each of his last two Bigfoot 10-ball Challenges.

Kaci vs either Skyler or Bergman is very close.

I do agree that Gorst is a very strong and I think often overlooked player. However in the finals over Chang that is the worst that I have ever seen Chang play. We must however give Gorst credit for he did win and it made him a world champion at a very young age.

SVB to me has not played as well in the last couple years. Seems like he never used to miss at all. I’ve watched videos on YouTube where he played an entire set without a miss. Whatever the reason he’s still near the top in almost every field. With the players of today you can be near the top and never win. The players are so good it’s about who gets hot and who has the break working that day.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Pia Filler had a great insight during her commentary of Joshua's match with Aranas. When asked by her co-commentator what differentiates the best players from the rest, Pia said simply, "It's who plays best under pressure!"

I gained a lot of respect for this young woman in that moment. All the talk we constantly hear about aiming methods and the like means nothing if a player can't hold up under pressure. She gets it!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Pia Filler had a great insight during her commentary of Joshua's match with Aranas. When asked by her co-commentator what differentiates the best players from the rest, Pia said simply, "It's who plays best under pressure!"

I gained a lot of respect for this young woman in that moment. All the talk we constantly hear about aiming methods and the like means nothing if a player can't hold up under pressure. She gets it!

Point well taken, Jay. I took it in jest when you commented that it was Aranas, not Filler, that was gaining the experience in this match, but I'm sure taking it seriously now. The top players are, indeed, the ones that thrive under pressure, but they are also the ones that prepare themselves most to succeed.

I recall a chat I once had with Irving Crane on the subject of confidence and his words caught me off guard a little. He said that many players are confident, but the only confidence that has any real value at all is the confidence that comes from knowing you are fully prepared to succeed. I think the guys at the very top of our sport all have THAT kind of confidence, and it sets them apart.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Everyone has their era. The field has caught up to SVB. Still a great player with lots of gas in the tank except the others have copied his methods and are getting closer.

In the 80's you couldn't get an even money bet that a Tyson opponent would make it out of the first round. People would walk into the ring like their were about to be strapped into the electric chair. Real fear.

Attachments

• Tyon.jpg
    Tyon.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 297

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Everyone has their era. The field has caught up to SVB. Still a great player with lots of gas in the tank except the others have copied his methods and are getting closer.

In the 80's you couldn't get an even money bet that a Tyson opponent would make it out of the first round. People would walk into the ring like their were about to be strapped into the electric chair. Real fear.

Look at his thighs, as big around as a man's waist. He generated a lot of his power from his lower torso.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
O yeah. His uppercut scared you to the core of your being. Scary man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stu and Jay over wise insight. Playing under pressure. I don't think the field has "caught up" to SVB, instead like Stu said his play has come down a hair since his US Open win in 2016. I still think he has more big titles in his future. Wasn't it also Mr Crane who said its not how many 100's you run but WHO you run them agains? We are used to seeing SVB get out when everyone is watching and all the pressure in the world is on him. And this hasn't been the case of late. But its so little that separates who wins and losses at the top. We shall see, but Im still rooting for him as always!

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Mike Tyson became quite a philosopher later in life. Or perhaps it was from bitter experience? Anyway:

"Too soon old. Too late smart." -Mike Tyson

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Mike Tyson became quite a philosopher later in life. Or perhaps it was from bitter experience? Anyway:

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face - Iron Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shane hasn't fallen off so much as others have been getting better.

A few have mentioned his age, but he's really not that old, and no reason to suspect he's completely past his prime. Let's not forget that Efren's best years were in his mid 40's to early 50's.

Even Earl had some good years at an older age, and he did win the world 9 ball at 40.

As long as Shane keeps playing, I think we'll still see great things from him.

Correction: Efren's best years, according to him, were between the ages of 18 and 25.
When he first set foot on US soil, at age 31, he was not at his best.
Efren told me that himself.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Correction: Efren's best years, according to him, were between the ages of 18 and 25. When he first set foot on US soil, at age 31, he was not at his best. Efren told me that himself.

That means that his best came during the straight pool era, which, in my personal opinion ended in about 1981. Of course, by all accounts, Efren's specialty back then was fifteen ball rotation.

There's no question that Efren's game rose a lot from 1985-2010, during which time he became the best ever at both one pocket and eight ball, and more and more proficient at rotation pool games.

He may have been a better cueist in his earliest days, but not in the context of the games chiefly played in America. In the years during which he played in America, his game peaked in the late 1990's.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That means that his best came during the straight pool era, which, in my personal opinion ended in about 1981. Of course, by all accounts, Efren's specialty back then was fifteen ball rotation.

There's no question that Efren's game rose a lot from 1985-2010, during which time he became the best ever at both one pocket and eight ball, and more and more proficient at rotation pool games.

He may have been a better cueist in his earliest days, but not in the context of the games chiefly played in America. In the years during which he played in America, his game peaked in the late 1990's.
He was 30 when he got here. He'd already been at a super hi level for years back home. From '85 to 2000 he was just stupidly good. Hard to believe how well played all games.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correction: Efren's best years, according to him, were between the ages of 18 and 25.
When he first set foot on US soil, at age 31, he was not at his best.
Efren told me that himself.

I was speaking from a tournament standpoint.

His best years were in the early to mid 2000's when he was around 45.

But I'm sure he played pretty sporty in his earlier years as well.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

(He may have been a better cueist in his earliest days,) but not in the context of the games chiefly played in America. In the years during which he played in America, his game peaked in the late 1990's.

I’ve always questioned Efren’s appraisal of his early game. During the time he feels he
played his best, Jose Parica was the ‘Man’ over there....Jose won 8 out of 9 Opens in
Japan...and a second....Efren was with him sometimes.

I think most great players hit the ball purer early....as they acquired better cue-ball control
,they didn’t need that purity as much...it tends to fall into disuse.

...everybody probably had a better ‘ring game’ when they were young.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member

Nah, he just smokes a ridiculous amount of weed now. Even has his own company