Rambow Full Splice What Joint Used?

tk123456789

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've searched the forum and have seen a few threads about differences between types of joints. Stainless, ivory, brass, flat faced, etc.

Since I decided to have a Rambow tribute made I'm thinking I would go with his original type of joint. I can see they were mostly brass from what I have found. Question is was the whole thing brass including the pin or just the joint piece? Forgive if I am using the incorrect terminology to describe some things. I'm not new to billiards but new to getting cues made by a builder so I want to be specific when I order and also become more knowledgeable in general about cue construction.

What was his traditional type of joint in most of his cues? I have hit with a brass joint before and felt it not so different from a stainless joint which is on all my other cues. So I don't think it would make such a difference in play for me. I also read that brass joints are heavier but if the builder takes that into account they won't need to balance the cue in the back end as much.

Anyway if anyone can shed some light on the name or type of brass joints Rambow used mostly that would be great.

Thanks

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
5/16-14 piloted brass joint

Attachments

• received_825737081221945.jpg
    received_825737081221945.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 276

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
So was the whole joint made out of brass usually by Rambow? I mean the pin as well?

Yes, just like what you see here. He also used steel later on for pins. Brass sleeve threaded onto the wood, I may have some extra joints to post photos of.

I have some spare pins from the era, you just put a bit of a chamfer on the end of the pin and you're golden. PM me if you end up needing one for your project

tk123456789

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, just like what you see here. He also used steel later on for pins. Brass sleeve threaded onto the wood, I may have some extra joints to post photos of.

I have some spare pins from the era, you just put a bit of a chamfer on the end of the pin and you're golden. PM me if you end up needing one for your project

Thanks again great to know and thanks also for letting me know you have some extra pins!

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
What was his traditional type of joint in most of his cues?

Thanks

By the way, if you want to stay true to the original, most of his brass joints were quite thin walled, compared to what you would find today, pre-tapped.

Not so easy to really duplicate the original, but you asked.

All the best,
WW

tk123456789

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the way, if you want to stay true to the original, most of his brass joints were quite thin walled, compared to what you would find today, pre-tapped.

Not so easy to really duplicate the original, but you asked.

All the best,
WW

Good information thank you. I would think most cue builders either have or can get some of the thin walled brass joints though right?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Good information thank you. I would think most cue builders either have or can get some of the thin walled brass joints though right?

You can make them, but they won't be as thin on a modern cue. They were thin on a Rambow because joints were significantly skinnier way back when.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

As Ideologist said, a new cue will not likely have a joint as thin as earlier Rambows. An older Titlist blank pretty much dictated what the joint diameter would be, due to the blank itself, after finishing. A lot were pretty thin.

When you have a maker today do a replica, everything is different. The joint will be larger, probably the standard .840 or so. The linen will not likely be the same, and the buttplate I suspect will not be a chunk of ivory, with an unprotected bottom. Mosconi's cue had no bumper at all. Most cuemakers will probably not do an ivory buttplate like Herman Rambow did. Also the finish will not be an old lacquer like the old cues. So many differences, when you replicate an older cue.

All the best,
WW