Wood vs metal weight

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When somebody asks for a specific balance, it's always somewhere inside that inch, and generally they are a very high level player. It's much more difficult to pinpoint a specific balance than to just land within an inch, but I accommodate.

That's a great bit of knowledge. It does not surprise me that a high level individual in any endeavor could/would "pinpoint" a specification with very small limits (pool player say, x.zy" exactly) But it is informative that almost all people of all builds, wingspans, etc would still also be "very close" to the same ratio.

So far i've had to drill to remove weight rather than add any. Other than choosing say steel vs G10 pins. (My few cues have been in the 59 - 60" range for people who have always been uncomfortable with 58"). Of course now i'm thinking "drill the butt and tap full length for 3/8-10, set up the turret to run some short bronze socket ("allen") head bolts, & dial that sucker where you want it" :wink: Since I've only made FS's, there's no structural constraint.

Thanks!
smt

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Excellent info.... As most on here know, I've been messing with making cues for a couple of years now... Not trying to go into business with it, just something to do in my spare time... I have been doing tips and ferrules for many years... I've turned out several cues with each one better than the last... Learning something from each one it seems... Thanks for all the input... Great info from each one for sure...
View attachment 496701

Got cue finished...

For some reason I cant get any pictures to load. Will try to post later

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
e6bbb04530ed76d6eb33102874b67316.jpg
b545672bc1105551fc3b6f4b028e9647.jpg
0a0bbd50ebf2679e6ab6dcf0a72070d6.jpg

Little skinny masse butt....5/8” 316SS rod that is capped by the phenolic bumper....and touching the bottom of the pin lol.

I may could mug a diamond with it strait up lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Got the cue finished... Turned out ok..
Length - 60"
Weight - 20.52oz
Butt weight - 16.37
Shaft weight - 4.15
Balance point - 18-1/2" from bumper

Thanks for the input everyone. If I wouldn't have added the weight behind the pin, It would have been a waste...

NEW CUE 7242018 2.JPG
NEW CUE 7242018.JPG
NEW CUE 7242018 3.JPG
NEW CUE 7242018 4.JPG

gregoryda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice looking cue Captain Jo. If balance is so important, how does adding a 10-14" extension on the butt end effect the balance/play? For the pros like SVB and Earl, it doesn't seem to effect their play. Do they use extensions or are their playing cues just made extra long and balanced properly?

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Nice looking cue Captain Jo. If balance is so important, how does adding a 10-14" extension on the butt end effect the balance/play? For the pros like SVB and Earl, it doesn't seem to effect their play. Do they use extensions or are their playing cues just made extra long and balanced properly?

I have added extensions to my cues before... Not a big deal to me... I know a guy that has a 11" extension but it is made of light weight pvc pipe... But painted / stained to look like wood... I have noticed with a longer cue I have more shaft out the front and my back hand is closer to the butt end of the cue... So balance point is different..