6 jaw chuck for Porper B

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Has anyone put a 6 jaw chuck on a Porper B lathe? Would like to find one that will either thread right on or bolt ob the the 3 hole plate...... If so, brand, place to buy etc.?? Thanks

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The chuck on the Porper are bored out plain back Bison chucks. You would have to find the smallest 6 jaw you could find and build a backing plate to fit over the Porper spindle. IMO not worth the cost and effort. The three Jaw it comes with works plenty good. I have two Porper B's one is the earliest version without the carriage. When I first got the lathe it was a disaster. I went through the entire machine. I gave the bison chuck a bath and dialed it in on the backing plate. This machine has a few miles on it but I can still get the piece in the chuck to run within a thou. If it is the accuracy your after try spending some time dialing in the chuck before giving up on it.

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
The chuck on the Porper are bored out plain back Bison chucks. You would have to find the smallest 6 jaw you could find and build a backing plate to fit over the Porper spindle. IMO not worth the cost and effort. The three Jaw it comes with works plenty good. I have two Porper B's one is the earliest version without the carriage. When I first got the lathe it was a disaster. I went through the entire machine. I gave the bison chuck a bath and dialed it in on the backing plate. This machine has a few miles on it but I can still get the piece in the chuck to run within a thou. If it is the accuracy your after try spending some time dialing in the chuck before giving up on it.

Thanks for the reply... Accuracy is what I'm after... I have taken it apart and cleaned good. Put it back together on spindle loosely and dialed it in with a dead center in jaws and snugged bolts... Dial indicator near the chuck it is within .001. But the farther away from the chuck, the more run out it has... I figure the jaws are bad or something is not true within the chuck... Im using a magnetic base indicator on one of the bed rails. Are there replacement jaws to be bought? Maybe another 3 jaw Bison?

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply... Accuracy is what I'm after... I have taken it apart and cleaned good. Put it back together on spindle loosely and dialed it in with a dead center in jaws and snugged bolts... Dial indicator near the chuck it is within .001. But the farther away from the chuck, the more run out it has... I figure the jaws are bad or something is not true within the chuck... Im using a magnetic base indicator on one of the bed rails. Are there replacement jaws to be bought? Maybe another 3 jaw Bison?

All the parts on Bison chucks are available, you would have to find your nearest dealer or a place on line. I remember speaking to Don I believe with Porper about the chucks and he said they would get them in bulk and then bore them out for clearance. Bison are a decent quality chuck.http://www.bison-bial.com/spare-parts-and-accessories/sjw-3500-3200-80 Something else I would check is if the facing on the backing plate is true. Take your chuck off and dial on the face of your backing plate. When tightening the three set screws on the backing plate it can sometime throw the face off a little. I had to face mine, if you are confident in your machine you can face the backing plate in the machine before mounting the chuck.

Last edited:

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
All the parts on Bison chucks are available, you would have to find your nearest dealer or a place on line. I remember speaking to Don I believe with Porper about the chucks and he said they would get them in bulk and then bore them out for clearance. Bison are a decent quality chuck.http://www.bison-bial.com/spare-parts-and-accessories/sjw-3500-3200-80 Something else I would check is if the facing on the backing plate is true. Take your chuck off and dial on the face of your backing plate. When tightening the three set screws on the backing plate it can sometime throw the face off a little. I had to face mine, if you are confident in your machine you can face the backing plate in the machine before mounting the chuck.
Thanks for the tip... I will check the face plate... I had not thought of that.

Also, is this considered a 4" , 5" or 6" chuck?

Last edited:

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
They are 4in chucks

Face plate had a high spot on it... I set up a boring bar (longest thing I had to reach face plate) and slowly faced it off.... Put all back together and gauge barely moves using a piston wrist pin... The transmission shaft and the dead center both that I was using are not true.... I'm going to get a carbide drill blank or reamer blank and retest... Thanks for the tip... I really appreciate it..

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Face plate had a high spot on it... I set up a boring bar (longest thing I had to reach face plate) and slowly faced it off.... Put all back together and gauge barely moves using a piston wrist pin... The transmission shaft and the dead center both that I was using are not true.... I'm going to get a carbide drill blank or reamer blank and retest... Thanks for the tip... I really appreciate it..

No problem, glad I was able to help a little.
Cheers