I Played Mike Davis Last Night...

Drater

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...and had the most fun I've ever had playing pool! What a great guy.

He's in the area visiting a good friend of his. I know his friend too, and he called looking for somebody else's number. That guy was unavailable, so long story short, Mike and I ended up playing.

We met at Breakers off of Friendly Ave and decided on the strangest 9ball game I've ever played. He gave up the wild 7&8, and BIH every time he missed, but he got 1 safety per rack. Race to 7 for $50.

The game was actually my idea. He initially offered the 5 and the last 5. Anyone that offers that does so because they can win with it. I didn't care too much about beating him, but I really didn't want to be kicking every time I got to the table. Hence the BIH when he misses idea.

We played a number of sets, on table 5, and they went like this:

7-5: Mike
7-2: Mike
2-7: ME!
7-4: Mike
7-3: Mike

After being stuck $200, 3 beers, 2 shots of Crown and 2 shots of Patron, I decided to call it quits. It was also around 1:30 in the morning.

Mike Davis can play some pool. Every time I played a "safe", he'd jump, make the OB, and get perfect position for the next shot. I started calling his jump stick a "position stick" and asked to inspect it! haha. He got out from most everywhere, and when he used his only safety per rack, he used it really good.

I lost, and lost good, but I kinda like the game. If I can do it again with him, I will, but without alcohol.

He was also cool enough to clue me into my mistakes while we were playing and spent about 30 minutes answering random pool questions from a friend.

When I owned Shooters we had a number of Pros come through (including Mike), but I'd never played any of them. Playing Mike was a blast.

Anyways, I'm done rambling. Just thought I'd share.

eric

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eric that's a cheap lesson from a PRO and a very fair game. He had to play his best to win. I might cut down on the SHOTS, if I were you.

Drater

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eric that's a cheap lesson from a PRO and a very fair game. He had to play his best to win. I might cut down on the SHOTS, if I were you.

Oh yeah, it was a blast. His friend said I had the best of the game, but I'm not sure I agree (tho I would try it again).

Mike was saying that since the safety game was taken away, he could feel the pressure to get out, even for 50 bucks.

As far as the SHOTS go, last night was a slow night. :(

eric

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Awesome game Eric! When did you guys roll in? I was there til @ 9:30 when Amy dragged me out. You two playing 6 sets to 7 in @ 3 1/2 hours or so is fast playing. But with him not missing much or playing many safes, that would speed it up.

Let me know when you've had enough of the pros and want to play a chump. ;)

Drater

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome game Eric! When did you guys roll in? I was there til @ 9:30 when Amy dragged me out. You two playing 6 sets to 7 in @ 3 1/2 hours or so is fast playing. But with him not missing much or playing many safes, that would speed it up.

Let me know when you've had enough of the pros and want to play a chump. ;)

You were there last night? I got there about 8:15. Mike at 8:30, and we were playing by 8:45. Tonya was trashed. That's how I ended up having Patron too. :(

tigerseye

Kenny Wilson
Silver Member
Nice story Drater... maybe someone will come and give u some ungodly weight like that and u score big!! Nice try u hustler u...;)
Who owns Shooters now anyway?

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Davis is one of the nicest guys I've ever met. This goes for the pool world and outside of the pool. He's just a good natured young man that is a pleasure to know, as you learned last night. :wink:

Drater

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice story Drater... maybe someone will come and give u some ungodly weight like that and u score big!! Nice try u hustler u...;)

That'd be nice. I had some decent scores when I owned Shooters. Had bigger losses though.

A chance to play a Pro some cheap sets. How often does that come around?

Who owns Shooters now anyway?

The daughter of the guy I bought it from. Danielle Edwards Baxley and her hubby Terry.

Drater

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Davis is one of the nicest guys I've ever met. This goes for the pool world and outside of the pool. He's just a good natured young man that is a pleasure to know, as you learned last night. :wink:

Indeed, he most definitely is.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
...and had the most fun I've ever had playing pool! What a great guy.

He's in the area visiting a good friend of his. I know his friend too, and he called looking for somebody else's number. That guy was unavailable, so long story short, Mike and I ended up playing.

We met at Breakers off of Friendly Ave and decided on the strangest 9ball game I've ever played. He gave up the wild 7&8, and BIH every time he missed, but he got 1 safety per rack. Race to 7 for $50.

The game was actually my idea. He initially offered the 5 and the last 5. Anyone that offers that does so because they can win with it. I didn't care too much about beating him, but I really didn't want to be kicking every time I got to the table. Hence the BIH when he misses idea.

We played a number of sets, on table 5, and they went like this:

7-5: Mike
7-2: Mike
2-7: ME!
7-3: Mike

After being stuck $200, 3 beers, 2 shots of Crown and 2 shots of Patron, I decided to call it quits. It was also around 1:30 in the morning.

Mike Davis can play some pool. Every time I played a "safe", he'd jump, make the OB, and get perfect position for the next shot. I started calling his jump stick a "position stick" and asked to inspect it! haha. He got out from most everywhere, and when he used his only safety per rack, he used it really good.

I lost, and lost good, but I kinda like the game. If I can do it again with him, I will, but without alcohol.

He was also cool enough to clue me into my mistakes while we were playing and spent about 30 minutes answering random pool questions from a friend.

When I owned Shooters we had a number of Pros come through (including Mike), but I'd never played any of them. Playing Mike was a blast.

Anyways, I'm done rambling. Just thought I'd share.

eric

Mike's awesome.