Can anyone run 100 with enough practice?

Raggedy Andy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Running 100

Here's my take on your question. If you have run 35, got through two break balls......you can run 100. I can tell you from experience, the most important thing in straight pool is not having a stroke like Efren, but being able to play to a pattern. Especially when you get down to the last two or three before the break ball. Study the videos, and books of the great straight pool players, and you will be surprised to find out how similar their patterns are. If you are running 30 or 40 right now, you should be concentrating on your pattern play. Try using a simple practice exercise of 4 or 5 balls. Before you start pocketing balls, try to imagine the best way to end up with a stop shot on the key ball.........your runs will get better and better.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is actually what i've been thinking about lately. I have received this advice three times before already from independent sources (all with very high credentials).

This is really great information. Thanks

Here's my take on your question. If you have run 35, got through two break balls......you can run 100. I can tell you from experience, the most important thing in straight pool is not having a stroke like Efren, but being able to play to a pattern. Especially when you get down to the last two or three before the break ball. Study the videos, and books of the great straight pool players, and you will be surprised to find out how similar their patterns are. If you are running 30 or 40 right now, you should be concentrating on your pattern play. Try using a simple practice exercise of 4 or 5 balls. Before you start pocketing balls, try to imagine the best way to end up with a stop shot on the key ball.........your runs will get better and better.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
This is actually what i've been thinking about lately. I have received this advice three times before already from independent sources (all with very high credentials).

This is really great information. Thanks

I understand the idea behind this but it is not as simple as it sounds. Running two racks is more or less possible with good potting skill and a little luck.

But running 100 relies more on knowledge. Those lower percentage choices you make due to lack of experience or know how don't bite you every time, but one usually will on the way to 100. The amount of luck required to overcome poor strategy is pretty high, at least more than required to get through a couple of racks.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aha. More good stuff...inspiring

I understand the idea behind this but it is not as simple as it sounds. Running two racks is more or less possible with good potting skill and a little luck.

But running 100 relies more on knowledge. Those lower percentage choices you make due to lack of experience or know how don't bite you every time, but one usually will on the way to 100. The amount of luck required to overcome poor strategy is pretty high, at least more than required to get through a couple of racks.

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tonight ran 29, and stopped even though there were shots, so my friend and I could play a match. I felt like I was going to break 35 easy, maybe a lot more. Last session made 50 balls in 3 innings, ran a 13,20,17. I feel a breakthrough about to happen.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Schmidt went 6 for 29 (over 20%), while the rest of the entrants combined went 11 for 471 or more (about 2%).

John is amazing. But when oh when is he going to actually win a 14.1 event?

Well, John. You just answered my question. And the answer to my question of "when?" is TODAY!!!

Congratulations on your super victory in the Predator World 14.1 Tournament today.

67tbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
regarding the original question, I'm not an expert, but my opinion is: "NO".

I think you need a high level of natural talent and mental concentration to run 100, and those people are in the minority, no matter how many lessons one takes.

Which is harder, bowling 300 or running 100? lets assume they are equally hard. I think most people could bowl a lifetime and never get 300.

My opinion, running 100 is harder. With bowling, equipment has made 300 easier. Pool is the opposite IMHO.
- Andy (3 sanctioned 300 games, no 100 ball runs)

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2