Pool Could Use A Howard Cosell in the booth

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Pool could use a few Howard Cosell's in the booth. Diehard sports fans laughed at his style when he came on the scene. Mainstream viewers loved him from the start and tuned in to sports events he was covering just to hear him "tell it like it is". In a short while most of the diehard fans got to like his style and that he would out anyone no matter how big or famous they were. Howard did more to bring tons of mainstream viewers into watching sports than anyone else ever have IMO. Johnnyt

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool could use a few Howard Cosell's in the booth. Diehard sports fans laughed at his style when he came on the scene. Mainstream viewers loved him from the start and tuned in to sports events he was covering just to hear him "tell it like it is". In a short while most of the diehard fans got to like his style and that he would out anyone no matter how big or famous they were. Howard did more to bring tons of mainstream viewers into watching sports than anyone else ever have IMO. Johnnyt

Grady was the best there ever was and pool commentating will never be the same

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
I think Joe Rogan might be a decent choice as a pool commentator, he's well known in the mainstream and not a bad pool player.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I too miss Grady....like Howard Cosell, he could be overly pedantic....
....and make you smile.

Howard was interviewing Ali once, Ali was being his normal self....
...Howard said "Don't you think you're being a bit truculent?"
..Ali says "I don't know what that means, but if it means I'm pretty, yeah,
that's what I'm being."

Grady was asked a one-pocket question at the Rack once...some of the
toughest pool gamblers ever were in that room....
...he used words like 'predicate'...as a verb...:shocked2:....
...and everybody loved it.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think in the booth, Grady AND Billy was the secret.

I didn't think Grady was as good without Billy and I don't think Billy is as good without Grady (sorry Billy). They both had their thoughts and ways and didn't always agree. Both both of them together was MAGIC.

I like listening to JoeyA, but I told him he needs his "BILLY". I don't think he liked it but I am fan and I don't think it was way out of line.

The same with Danny and everyone else.

I still think Scott Frost or Danny Harriman in the booth each time with JoeyA is the best going right now.

Are they Howard Cosell? no, but I wasn't that much of a HC fan either.

Last edited:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member

Howard Cosell did in fact tell it as he saw it. On TV he said the moves made by Alvin Garrett of the Washington Red Skins were similar to a quick monkey.
That was in 1983. The remark brought on a wrath of people saying it was a racist remark. Howard didn't apologize and never returned to NFL announcing.

Last edited:

Craig

Custom Cue-Repair
Silver Member

You have to be politically correct in today's time a Howard Cosell style would never be approved in today's broadcasting. Because there is to many cry babies that get their feelings hurt.

People today can't ignore what they don't approve of whether it directly effects them or not. They feel the need to cry and complain to no end.

The new world is full of opinionated cry babies.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member

Tap Tap Tap I miss Grady every day

Lets not forget the Velvet Foghorn...Johnny Ervolino. He could call em with the best

Also, Buddy Hall has made a few fantastic Accu-Stats appearances. I was choking on the ground laughing at a few of his stories...get Buddy paired with the right co commentator and you'll have that Incardona/Mathews magic once again

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
As good as old Howard was, Johnny, I'd put our own JoeyA up against him any day.
Joey not only has an intimate knowledge of the game he may be calling, but possesses a good analytical perspective as well. :smile:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
As good as old Howard was, Johnny, I'd put our own JoeyA up against him any day.
Joey not only has an intimate knowledge of the game he may be calling, but possesses a good analytical perspective as well. :smile:

But he's PC. Johnnyt

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tap Tap Tap I miss Grady every day

Lets not forget the Velvet Foghorn...Johnny Ervolino. He could call em with the best

Also, Buddy Hall has made a few fantastic Accu-Stats appearances. I was choking on the ground laughing at a few of his stories...get Buddy paired with the right co commentator and you'll have that Incardona/Mathews magic once again

Yes, I think Buddy has done some good ones too. I think he needs more practice.

But to me, tough to capture the magic that Billy and Grady had naturally. There were times I thought they might come to blows up in the booth.

JMO

Ken

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I think Buddy has done some good ones too. I think he needs more practice.

But to me, tough to capture the magic that Billy and Grady had naturally. There were times I thought they might come to blows up in the booth.

JMO

Ken
Billy may have wanted to a few times but Grady could just cut him to ribbons with his wit & superior sense of humor.

RonnieOSullivan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny Diliberto. He's the best in my opinion, although he needs a good play by play guy to be the straight man. Frost is a great commentator with regards to insight as well, but Danny is still my favorite.

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think that pool needs a booth first, don't you?