Simonis 860 vs.860HR vs. 760

tedantle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Red Shoes

John Lavin said, Simonis HR... You want to practice on the same type of equipment you complete on. Simonis HR is the strongest product in the Chicago area for Comercial use.

Color me crazy, sorta made sense to me

I didn't read the whole thread here. Likely has already been said.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
760 is for pyramid and Kaisa billiards.
I would not even give thought for getting 760 to pool table. I grew up learning game with 760 everywhere. I am happy because now all good poolrooms have 860.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
John Lavin said, Simonis HR... You want to practice on the same type of equipment you complete on. Simonis HR is the strongest product in the Chicago area for Comercial use.

Color me crazy, sorta made sense to me

I didn't read the whole thread here. Likely has already been said.

I replaced 860 with 860HR last time and am forgetting when that was - it may show the same marks (look as if it were used just like used 860), but is otherwise is holding up beautifully.

The Zobrekis Z9 cloth at the pool plays similar, but appears to wear out more quickly (and seems easier to damage). Sums up the three best cloths I know. Except I sometimes wish we'd return to the old wool cloth for the simple reason that the game was tougher - but I understand pool hall owners wouldn't want those back…

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I were to have a house and space for a pool table, I would Simonis 860 or put Andy Cloth on it.

Simonis 760 is to danged fast. Its like playing on glass. Ruins the game. I don't mean to be snarky, that cloth might be perfect for some people.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
If I were to have a house and space for a pool table, I would Simonis 860 or put Andy Cloth on it.

Simonis 760 is to danged fast. Its like playing on glass. Ruins the game. I don't mean to be snarky, that cloth might be perfect for some people.

Once asked a Simonis representative (not a retailer) about it, and he said that 760 is/was really intended for Pyramid (Russian Billiards), and that the reason it was used in pool halls throughout Europe at the time was durability (pointing to the fact that in many Western European countries, work hours for cloth replacement cost so much the price of cloth is virtually irrelevant). The message was clear, however: it's really not a pool cloth.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

skip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had 860HD put on my home table love it. This coming from and old B player.

Halfjack87

In Training
Silver Member
Everyone's expressed themselves pretty well - but I'm in the same boat as the OP - getting a pool table soon and need to pick a cloth.

All the discussion seems to have been around 14.1, and I'm wondering if there's a consensus regarding cloth for 8 ball or 9 ball - or for guys like me who are going to be trying to develop a solid game. To be clear, I'll be focused on 14.1, but my wife, sons, and friends will all be about 8 ball.

My table will most likely be a Gold Crown - either a 2 or a 5. Until I read this thread I assumed I wanted 760, now it sounds like I need to consider carefully...

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Everyone's expressed themselves pretty well - but I'm in the same boat as the OP - getting a pool table soon and need to pick a cloth.

All the discussion seems to have been around 14.1, and I'm wondering if there's a consensus regarding cloth for 8 ball or 9 ball - or for guys like me who are going to be trying to develop a solid game. To be clear, I'll be focused on 14.1, but my wife, sons, and friends will all be about 8 ball.

My table will most likely be a Gold Crown - either a 2 or a 5. Until I read this thread I assumed I wanted 760, now it sounds like I need to consider carefully...

In addition to other considerations discussed in this thread, remember that 860HR is already a reasonably fast cloth. Using 760, one tends to practice a poke stroke that'll prove pretty useless elsewhere (at tournaments except ones played on slippery new cloth), from an instructor's point of view one more reason I'd not recommend practicing on it exclusively - all else being equal (and the two cloths are not!), one still needs to maintain a fluid stroke.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
So rather than beginning a new thread, I thought I'd resurrect this one.

I'm in the same boat as everyone. My table was last recovered in about 2004, and I'm due. I have a Championship cloth on it now, as I was told that it wouldn't leave alternating waves under my rails. (Perhaps that was just the mechanic's lack of knowledge. This is my first table.) It plays pretty fast. I get good distribution during break shots.

My kids like to play 8 ball, 9 ball, etc. My game is 14.1. I'm headed to a local pool hall tomorrow to try 860 and 860HR if possible, but wanted to know, as Halfjack did, if there were any shifting opinions out there.

Thanks.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
So rather than beginning a new thread, I thought I'd resurrect this one.

I'm in the same boat as everyone. My table was last recovered in about 2004, and I'm due. I have a Championship cloth on it now, as I was told that it wouldn't leave alternating waves under my rails. (Perhaps that was just the mechanic's lack of knowledge. This is my first table.) It plays pretty fast. I get good distribution during break shots.

My kids like to play 8 ball, 9 ball, etc. My game is 14.1. I'm headed to a local pool hall tomorrow to try 860 and 860HR if possible, but wanted to know, as Halfjack did, if there were any shifting opinions out there.

Thanks.

what kind and size of table do you have?

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Thank you. Apologies for not mentioning it.

I have an 8 foot AMF Playmaster with drop pockets. It's either a 7/8" or 1" three piece slate. I can't recall exactly, but it plays very well.

A cloth that would help me run a hundred balls, be completely stain resistant, stand up to a 4 year old's abuse, hinder my opponent's shots, remain in perfect condition for ten years, and cost around $40 would be ideal.

That's out there, right?

Edit: I recently had the chance to play on 860 cloth at a local place. It's slower, but not terribly so. I think the 860HR would be a pretty good compromise.

Last edited:

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you. Apologies for not mentioning it.

I have an 8 foot AMF Playmaster with drop pockets. It's either a 7/8" or 1" three piece slate. I can't recall exactly, but it plays very well.

A cloth that would help me run a hundred balls, be completely stain resistant, stand up to a 4 year old's abuse, hinder my opponent's shots, remain in perfect condition for ten years, and cost around $40 would be ideal.

That's out there, right?

Edit: I recently had the chance to play on 860 cloth at a local place. It's slower, but not terribly so. I think the 860HR would be a pretty good compromise.

I actually did get a chance to test 860 vs 860HR at a shop in PA, and I didn't see much of a difference. The tech (who covers tables for a living) told me the biggest difference is 860HR is more durable. Personally I'd take either over the faster stuff. 14.1 may be a finesse game, but the cloth shouldn't make you feel like you're walking on eggshells. LOL

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to second poolmouse. Stay as far away from 760 as is humanly possible. I had to play on worn 760 for awhile and it was like playing on glass. It wasn't enjoyable. It was nearly impossible to play close position because instead of drifting 1/4" on normal cloth, the ball would move like a glacier for 1" instead!

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simonis

I use 760. Find it satisfactory, but then I'm no "Stevie Patterns."

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, it could be that the 760 I was playing on was so worn that it played much faster than normal 760.

I remember the house man at Chelsea Billiards in the 90's used to use a wet brush to wipe down the 30+ tables. The cloth didn't last long, and the increased speed killed our games.