This is Ames, Mister.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
You never went to Coumbia! Get out... I have it on good authority that pool payers are not even allowed on campus as *visitors*, let alone as students! And it's because Columbia has a strong, unshakeable moral compass. No school who graduated Ruth Benedict ( PhD ) or Margaret Mead ( PhD ) ( among countless other upstanding citizens ) would EVER allow pool players within 5 MILES of the place!

So, yeah... Columbia... ahahahahahaaaaaaaa.

:dance:

Well, sure, when I got the acceptance letter I thought the same thing. I was going to call them and ask if they knew I was a pool player, but then I got into MIT and Chicago, and Yale Law School, so I thought, "Who am I to question the wisdom of these folks?"

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Well, sure, when I got the acceptance letter I thought the same thing. I was going to call them and ask if they knew I was a pool player, but then I got into MIT and Chicago, and Yale Law School, so I thought, "Who am I to question the wisdom of these folks?"

Dude... cut me some SERIOUS slack here, huh? Between you and PT, you've turned me into a cryin', gigglin' hot mess, here!!! HAVE SOME F'ING RESPECT, PLEASE?????? I'm a person, too, y'know!!!

HAYZEUZ KREESTAY!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
On Facebook I did a little series of the Ames room... These photos are all at different times.. Chins.. before it was Ames.. then Ames into the 60's.

JV

Attachments

• before_ames.jpg
    before_ames.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 329
  • ames_2.jpg
    ames_2.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 333
  • ames_billiards_NYC.jpg
    ames_billiards_NYC.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 321
  • ames_night.jpg
    ames_night.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 330

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
On Facebook I did a little series of the Ames room... These photos are all at different times.. Chins.. before it was Ames.. then Ames into the 60's.

JV

Very cool pics! It's amazing how many different people were smoking Camels on that billboard.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Pictures. I didn't realize those old Camel billlboards blew actual smoke! Found this for those that are interested:

In 1941 a billboard was installed that marked one of the most well knows advertising campaigns in history; Camel cigarettes. This billboard was apart of Times Square’s history for 26 long years. The billboard displayed a man blowing smoke toward his audience with “Camel” gleaming in bright lights.

For two and a half decades the Camel Cigarette was advertised with two novel billboards that were so clever they easily caught the attention of the passing public. Known as spectaculars, these billboards blew the illusion of a giant smoke ring every four seconds. Steam from a piston-driven diaphragm was forced out of a hole, and this mimicked a person smoking. The spectacular most often photographed was located in New York City's Times Square at 44th Street and Broadway. Some consider this Camel billboard the most famous of all outdoor advertising signs.

https://viewing.nyc/vintage-photogr...mous-smoking-camel-billboard-in-times-square/

Last edited:

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Great Pictures. I didn't realize those old Camel billlboards blew actual smoke! Found this for those that are interested:

In 1941 a billboard was installed that marked one of the most well knows advertising campaigns in history; Camel cigarettes. This billboard was apart of Times Square’s history for 26 long years. The billboard displayed a man blowing smoke toward his audience with “Camel” gleaming in bright lights.

For two and a half decades the Camel Cigarette was advertised with two novel billboards that were so clever they easily caught the attention of the passing public. Known as spectaculars, these billboards blew the illusion of a giant smoke ring every four seconds. Steam from a piston-driven diaphragm was forced out of a hole, and this mimicked a person smoking. The spectacular most often photographed was located in New York City's Times Square at 44th Street and Broadway. Some consider this Camel billboard the most famous of all outdoor advertising signs.

https://viewing.nyc/vintage-photogr...mous-smoking-camel-billboard-in-times-square/

It wasn't an illusion...the billboard blew actual smoke rings...saw it thousands of times.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
"...these billboards blew the illusion of a giant smoke ring every four seconds. Steam from a piston-driven diaphragm was forced out of a hole, and this mimicked a person smoking."

I saw that the first time. That's why I responded...it is incorrect. The face on the billboard blew smoke rings, no illusion...except when it was windy. Not even a debatable topic, it's fact.

When was the last smoke ring blown from a cigarette billboard in Times Square?​

By Pamela Landy

The last smoking sign in Times Square, which had advertised Winston cigarettes for five years, stopped blowing rings September 13, 1977.

Like its predecessors for much of the twentieth century, it blew about 1,000 rings a day; a steam-producing box, located behind the head of the man in the sign, created the rings.

The Winston sign had replaced the Camel sign, which operated from 1941 to 1966 on Broadway between Forty-third and Forty-fourth Streets.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I saw that the first time. That's why I responded...it is incorrect. The face on the billboard blew smoke rings, no illusion...except when it was windy. Not even a debatable topic, it's fact.

When was the last smoke ring blown from a cigarette billboard in Times Square?​

By Pamela Landy

The last smoking sign in Times Square, which had advertised Winston cigarettes for five years, stopped blowing rings September 13, 1977.

Like its predecessors for much of the twentieth century, it blew about 1,000 rings a day; a steam-producing box, located behind the head of the man in the sign, created the rings.

The Winston sign had replaced the Camel sign, which operated from 1941 to 1966 on Broadway between Forty-third and Forty-fourth Streets.

You're saying the steam rings were smoke? To me, smoke and steam are different.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
You're saying the steam rings were smoke? To me, smoke and steam are different.

I'm saying that the "smoke" - "steam" that came out of the smoker's mouth was in the form of "rings". I never believed, not even as a five year old watching the rings form, that there was actual "fire" behind that billboard. :wink: If that's what you were trying to convey, you are correct as well.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Started playing at Ames when I turned 16 back in 1962.
Back at that time, under 16 required you have a guardian/adult present.

Fri & Sat & holidays were my venu and usually only 6-7 times a month.
It was everything you expected and men players were better dressed too.

Not unusual to see big action games but the besta ction was after midnight.
I was too young to witness that until I entered college & my eyes got opened.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Started playing at Ames when I turned 16 back in 1962.
Back at that time, under 16 required you have a guardian/adult present.

Fri & Sat & holidays were my venu and usually only 6-7 times a month.
It was everything you expected and men players were better dressed too.

Not unusual to see big action games but the besta ction was after midnight.
I was too young to witness that until I entered college & my eyes got opened.

A reporter from the front lines! Awesome! Who were some of the best players who played at Ames?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I visited Ames one time in '63 or '64 and it was pretty dead compared to the other rooms in the area. There wasn't a player in sight and it was dark and dingy. I never went back there after that. The best players and biggest games were at 7/11 and Guys & Dolls.

Last edited: