Sugar spot

JC

Coos Cues
I'm just in the final stages of finishing this cue that I'm building for a friend. He wants the shaft @ 12mm so I get it almost done and I'm reducing the shaft to final size before sealing it and out pops a dark sugar spot right behind the ferule. A longer ferule would hide it but he specifically wants a short one. Is there any hope or a trick to hide this or do I need to start over?

Thanks,

JC

S1490004.jpg

S1490003.jpg

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah! That's a tricky one..
Could you extend the ferrule up to the sugar spot?
When installing ferrules, do you use epoxy colouring?
Seems to be a glueline between the shaft and ferrule.

JC

Coos Cues
Ah! That's a tricky one..
Could you extend the ferrule up to the sugar spot?
When installing ferrules, do you use epoxy colouring?
Seems to be a glueline between the shaft and ferrule.

I think that glue line is amplified by dust from the tip that I didn't clean off before taking the photo. Maybe not though. I didn't look too close at it after cutting off a millimeter once I saw the sugar. Do you use white dye in your epoxy for ferules? I try and keep the 5 minute epoxy off the shaft end grain until it's well hardening and screw it on then so it doesn't have time to soak in.

I know I could put on a longer ferule but the guy specifically asked for this length for whatever reason. I think making a new one may be the best option. I can extend the ferrule and use this shaft for another cue down the road with the same ringwork if I don't want to trash can it.

Thanks,

JC

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that glue line is amplified by dust from the tip that I didn't clean off before taking the photo. Maybe not though. I didn't look too close at it after cutting off a millimeter once I saw the sugar. Do you use white dye in your epoxy for ferules? I try and keep the 5 minute epoxy off the shaft end grain until it's well hardening and screw it on then so it doesn't have time to soak in.

I know I could put on a longer ferule but the guy specifically asked for this length for whatever reason. I think making a new one may be the best option. I can extend the ferrule and use this shaft for another cue down the road with the same ringwork if I don't want to trash can it.

Thanks,

JC

I use epoxy pigment, I have it in white, brown and black. No more glueline problems :)
If the customer can wait, a new shaft is the best way to go, still sucks with surprises like that tho...

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shorten the shaft to cover the ss with the short ferrule, then extend the shaft back to correct length with a longer joint collar. Or you can start all over, which is the best option. If he has to have the cue asap, let it out of your shop until you finish the new one. Looks about .250 you have to cover.

JC

Coos Cues
Will the spot bother your friend?

He said it won't but I'm afraid as a new cue maker trying to build a reputation someone else looking at it down the road will not be amused or impressed. Plus just me asking may make him think he can live with it but it could turn out to be a thorn in the saddle.

JC

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shorten the shaft to cover the ss with the short ferrule, then extend the shaft back to correct length with a longer joint collar. Or you can start all over, which is the best option. If he has to have the cue asap, let it out of your shop until you finish the new one. Looks about .250 you have to cover.

I would show the shaft in it's present form and tell him his option. Once he sees the shaft and realizes what you need to do to make it perfect he will consider a little longer ferrule.

Dick

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I Agree with Dick about having the customer decide after showing it to him. He may opt just for a longer ferrule rather than waiting X amount of time for a new shaft. Maybe even offer a slight discount. What would suck is making a new shaft, and having an even worst looking defect appear, it's happened to me before.
Dave

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
you just have to answer yourself one honest question......is this a good shaft? I'd much rather have a great playing shaft with multiple sugar marks than flawless bright white ones that play like crap.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Sugar marks are indicative of a healthy tree. We try to avoid them but they happen.
Now bark inclusions should be given a serious re-think. Lol

tsp&b

Silver Member
JMHO... Make a new one. You can use that one for someone who wants a longer ferrule... :)

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm just in the final stages of finishing this cue that I'm building for a friend. He wants the shaft @ 12mm so I get it almost done and I'm reducing the shaft to final size before sealing it and out pops a dark sugar spot right behind the ferule. A longer ferule would hide it but he specifically wants a short one. Is there any hope or a trick to hide this or do I need to start over?

Thanks,

JC

View attachment 433914

View attachment 433915

Talk it over with your customer, if he's smart, it won't make a difference, and he'll use it as an alignment aid. If he's picky, you'll start over.
Best regards.
Joe P.

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
First off, nice cue. Marble wood and Bubinga? Looks nice. Second, does it spin dead nuts straight chucked up? If yes, your all good.
A full 13mm and a stroke none of this ever would have happened. Seriously, the mark wouldn't bother me in the least. Again, cue looks nice. Good luck. Matt D.

Reactions: JC

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I have had a similar problem and I made a new shaft and gave him both with no extra charge........... he was happy and I was happy................ it is not like it was your workmanship that was to blame.............

Kim

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Upon Further Deliberation....

What is shown in your pic my not be a 'sugar mark'. Sugar in wood is generally more of a caramel color.
A very condensed version/color of the surface growth rings.
It's either another mineral or, dare I say it, bark inclusion.

JC

Coos Cues
What is shown in your pic my not be a 'sugar mark'. Sugar in wood is generally more of a caramel color.
A very condensed version/color of the surface growth rings.
It's either another mineral or, dare I say it, bark inclusion.

That's impossible. I bought that square from this guy who had AAA marked on it.

It did not come out of the trunk of a car somewhere!!

JC

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
That's impossible. I bought that square from this guy who had AAA marked on it.

It did not come out of the trunk of a car somewhere!!

JC

Certainly not impossible. The seller was no more aware of it than you were.
As you've stated, it didn't show until after it was cut.
I doubt that X-ray was part of the grading process.
Neither of you could have known.

It doesn't matter how many 'A-s' it had when it was sold.
There's no guarantee it will remain perfect during the cutting process.
The rejection process stays in play all the way until finished product.
Buying shaft blanks is a 'crap-shoot' at best.
We've all had to reject shafts at some point during the process.
Mother Nature does have a sense of humor.
The up-side is that you're no longer a naive virgin.
I try to keep a sense of humor also. It helps.

Reactions: JC