He was in such bad spots in the 3rd and 4th game
So nice to watch

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Break room tournament in Duluth?
I've watched it a few times.
That guy was putting on a clinic.
There was alot of great matches in that tournament.
Omar Al Shaheen. He is definitely not an unknown.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I might have missed it being discussed
But how many saw that 10 pack this omar fellow put on svb

Never heard of him

Playing take what you make bar box 8ball

Video is on fb still
So nice to watch

Omar has been around a few years now. Played real strong @ DCC this year.

Even on the 10ft, he's a beast.

His game has improved drastically in the last 2 years. Fun to watch, and always has a great attitude at the table.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

Never heard of him

Video is on fb still
So nice to watch

I love watching Omar play, I hadn’t heard about this though so thanks for the heads up.

cptsprmkt

Registered
I love when they are negotiating the rules at the beginning. It's like all the jackasses at my local barbox deciding rules for a tourney, but these guys are all beasts. I wish the announcer guy could sense that moment and guide us through but let us watch an listen to the players and their reactions which were hilarious, instead of doing a rollcall of people watching with shoutouts. 99% of these announcers takeaway from the games on these videos.

Regardless, I love how ragtag this tourney is. Thanks for posting as I'm not on facebook.

thank you

cptsprmkt

Registered
just finished watching... incredible run. I'm new to the pool video world, and I don't mean to offend if anyone is a fan of that announcer, but that interactive announcing style is hurting the game not helping. He spends most of the time talking to people in a chat room. It's so distracting!

In any event, thanks again for posting the link, great to watch!

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Never heard of him

Video is on fb still
So nice to watch

Omar's game has turned the corner, and I expect him to win a significant tournament this year.

Freddie <~~~ whatever significant means

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is something more exciting to watch. Imagine alternating breaks where Omar runs out everytime he breaks the balls, 10 times in a row. Now imagine SVB does the same thing. Now you have a thriller 10-10 score. This makes for more interesting viewing. I never did care much for solitaire.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
There is something more exciting to watch. Imagine alternating breaks where Omar runs out everytime he breaks the balls, 10 times in a row. Now imagine SVB does the same thing. Now you have a thriller 10-10 score. This makes for more interesting viewing. I never did care much for solitaire.

For me, there’s nothing like a hill-hill match that wasn’t fabricated.
...like losing badly and running a pack.
I’ve seen lots of those, and so have you.

League thinking where everybody gets a prize doesn’t belong at the elite level.
You like hill-hill so much, play one-game matches.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Omar is the current Texas Open 9 Ball Champion he played great in that event beating Justin Bergman in The Finals.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
League thinking where everybody gets a prize doesn’t belong at the elite level.

I think it would be smart if pool joined the rest of the sports universe where this subject is concerned. I do mean all sports. Pool is out of step and should take some lessons. It has to do with maintaining viable competition and interesting viewing. I don't know about your "everyone gets a prize logic".

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the video! This was pool played as well as can be expected by anyone. The commentator however has to go- when he interviewed Omar after the match he told him that he was lucky! I did not see much luck in that 10 pack run out! SVB was beaten soundly and he appeared to just give up in the last rack.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it would be smart if pool joined the rest of the sports universe where this subject is concerned. I do mean all sports. Pool is out of step and should take some lessons. It has to do with maintaining viable competition and interesting viewing. I don't know about your "everyone gets a prize logic".

I don’t think it’s everyone gets a prize logic . I like both ways actually. I like seeing packs put together but in alternating it’s super important to win the game your breaking because it’s hard to come back when your down.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I don’t think it’s everyone gets a prize logic . I like both ways actually. I like seeing packs put together but in alternating it’s super important to win the game your breaking because it’s hard to come back when your down.

I like them both as well. The top race for alternate break in my opinion is 7. A race to 7 for lesser players you can do winner break, even a race to 5 with B players but for pros and a race to 5,6,7 should be alternate break.

Anything over 7 I feel should definitely be winner break. This was a race to 15. How horrendous would that be with alternate break? Almost inevitably someone will break dry a few times or scratch and the other guy will get up 3,4,5 games and then that’s that pretty much. Sure if it happened to one guy technically it can reverse to let the guy get back even but with them knowing it’s alternate break it seems hopeless and subconsciously they start giving up and the rolls go against them.

With winner break both players know that at any time (at the pro level) the other guy or they themselves can get to the table and never leave again.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I’ve known boxers agree to stand toe-to-toe in an alley and trade shots...one for one....
....but when you fight for titles, Arguello’s 7-punch combos were something to behold.
...no boxer said it was unfair that he was taking the other guy’s turn.

To make a come-back in 9-ball when you’re behind, playing alternate break, you need
your opponent’s co-operation...basically a negative position.

When I compete, I’m prepared to live or die by the sword.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have wondered about a hybrid approach

I’ve known boxers agree to stand toe-to-toe in an alley and trade shots...one for one....
....but when you fight for titles, Arguello’s 7-punch combos were something to behold.

To make a come-back in 9-ball when you’re behind, playing alternate break, you need

I want to see runs, I want to see both people shoot. I have wondered how a hybrid approach would work. Alternate breaks, unless someone breaks and runs or the person breaks dry and the other player runs out on his first turn at the table. If one of these things happens, let them keep breaking until the run ends.

Alternate breaks but you get to continue a run until you miss even if it stretches across games.

Seems like it could be interesting, might be terrible if it is tried.

Hu

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I am not sure about your boxing analogy. Boxing is actually a perfect example of increased interaction and participation.

Last edited: