Top 10 Pool and Billiard Myths Busted and Debunked

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just posted a new YouTube video that demonstrates and debunks the following Top 10 common pool and billiard myths and misconceptions:

1 - If you elevate the cue, you get more draw.
2 - A closed bridge is better for draw shots.
3 - Sidespin affects the path the CB takes off the OB.
4 - A swooping or swiping stroke can apply more sidespin.
5 - LD shafts allow you to put more spin on the ball.
6 - Throw is not important in pool.
7 - Spin transfer is not important in pool.
8 - More spin creates more SIT.
9 - The stroke “type” changes the shot action.
10 - Finding your “dominant eye” is important.

Check it out. Here it is:

NV J.25 – Top 10 Pool and Billiard Myths Busted and Debunked

It is part of my recent Top 10 series.

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just posted a new YouTube video that demonstrate and debunks the following Top 10 common pool and billiard myths and misconceptions:

10 - Finding your “dominant” is important.

Enjoy,
Dave

I will have to check this out as I believe there are exceptions like "nip draw"???

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just posted a new YouTube video that demonstrates and debunks the following Top 10 common pool and billiard myths and misconceptions:

10 - Finding your “dominant eye” is important.

Enjoy,
Dave
I will have to check this out as I believe there are exceptions like "nip draw"???
Please post your questions or disagreements after you have a chance to review the video.

Catch you later,
Dave

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Please post your questions or disagreements after you have a chance to review the video.

Catch you later,
Dave

I agree that all of these beliefs are wrong. Still, I watched the video and love the examples used to debunk it all. Excellent, as usual.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Good stuff here, Dave, and in general, I agree.

Where I am inclined to disagree is on #2 in which you suggest a closed bridge is not better for draw.

First, it is on a firm hit of the cue ball that one is most exposed to unintended sidespin on the cue ball. The closed bridge, in my experience, makes it much easier for all but a few to avoid unintended sidespin. As unintended sidespin causes a loss of stroke accuracy and also causes misses, managing this risk is very important.

To dismiss this point with the comment that your observation doesn't apply if one has stroke flaws is to sidestep reality. In my estimation, 99% of all people who play pool once a week or more have stroke flaws and 99% of them will have them for the remainder of their pool-playing lives.

While you may be right that an open bridge can, for elite cueists, be as effective as a closed bridge for draw, I contend that a closed bridge will add much greater consistency to one's draw for most players.

No myth here.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get all of that except #2.
I assume you mean in an "all things being equal" sense, not in the instructor sense. That yes you can get the same draw with an open bridge, but its harder. Like climbing Everest with one leg, sure...you can do it...

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Curious myself about #2 as I use an open bridge almost exclusively.
And when I need big draw, I prefer it, there's less friction.

Almost any example of power draw on youtube shows a closed bridge.

But every video of snooker shows it done with an open bridge,
and we know snooker requires lots of accuracy. So if closed bridge were necessary to prevent
accidental side and other problems, why wouldn't they do it?

On paper I see the logic of closed bridge... "oh sure, the little walls created by the
your fingers, prevent the cue from sliding sideways".

But does your cue really tend to slip sideways when you stroke?
Even an open bridge has a bit of a little "V" shape. Seems to me you'd almost have to work
to make the cue go sideways when your arm is swinging forward.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree that all of these beliefs are wrong. Still, I watched the video and love the examples used to debunk it all. Excellent, as usual.
Thanks Brian. I'm glad people like this video, because it took a fair amount of work and time to produce.

Catch you later,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good stuff here, Dave, and in general, I agree.
I'm glad to hear it.

Where I am inclined to disagree is on #2 in which you suggest a closed bridge is not better for draw.

First, it is on a firm hit of the cue ball that one is most exposed to unintended sidespin on the cue ball. The closed bridge, in my experience, makes it much easier for all but a few to avoid unintended sidespin. As unintended sidespin causes a loss of stroke accuracy and also causes misses, managing this risk is very important.

To dismiss this point with the comment that your observation doesn't apply if one has stroke flaws is to sidestep reality. In my estimation, 99% of all people who play pool once a week or more have stroke flaws and 99% of them will have them for the remainder of their pool-playing lives.

While you may be right that an open bridge can, for elite cueists, be as effective as a closed bridge for draw, I contend that a closed bridge will add much greater consistency to one's draw for most players.

No myth here.
Good points, but you do not need to be an "elite cueist" to use an open bridge effectively. And getting rid of some of the "stroke flaws" that might make a closed bridge more effective might also improve one's draw stroke.

For those interested in learning more, see:

draw technique advice

advantages of an open bridge

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I get all of that except #2.
I assume you mean in an "all things being equal" sense, not in the instructor sense. That yes you can get the same draw with an open bridge, but its harder. Like climbing Everest with one leg, sure...you can do it...
An open bridge actually has advantages. With a good stroke, there is no reason why a closed bridge would be better on a draw shot.

Regards,
Dave

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
,,, But every video of snooker shows it done with an open bridge, and we know snooker requires lots of accuracy. So if closed bridge were necessary to prevent accidental side and other problems, why wouldn't they do it? ,,,
I have just recently noticed that on power draw shots (and maybe other power shots?) some very good snooker players bend the cue down for the power stroke. Presumably they do this by torquing their grip hand to press the shaft onto the bridge. I have not seen this technique discussed in print. You need the right camera angle to see this, but sometimes they show from the back and along the line of the cue stick, more or less. Or maybe I'm seeing things.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

and we know snooker requires lots of accuracy. So if closed bridge were necessary to prevent

On paper I see the logic of closed bridge... "oh sure, the little walls created by the

Even an open bridge has a bit of a little "V" shape. Seems to me you'd almost have to work
Excellent points. Thank you.

With a solid open bridge with a well-defined "V," I think the cue is actually more likely to stay straighter than with a closed bridge, especially with a "non-elite" player who might not have a very good closed bridge.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have just recently noticed that on power draw shots (and maybe other power shots?) some very good snooker players bend the cue down for the power stroke. Presumably they do this by torquing their grip hand to press the shaft onto the bridge. I have not seen this technique discussed in print. You need the right camera angle to see this, but sometimes they show from the back and along the line of the cue stick, more or less. Or maybe I'm seeing things.
If you find a good video example, please post it. It seems odd to me that a top snooker player would tighten their grip (and extend their wrist) during the stroke enough to flex the cue when the tip is driven down into the table; but if this happens mostly after the hit, I guess it is immaterial anyway.

Regards,
Dave

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you find a good video example, please post it. It seems odd to me that a top snooker player would tighten their grip (and extend their wrist) during the stroke enough to flex the cue when the tip is driven down into the table; but if this happens mostly after the hit, I guess it is immaterial anyway.

Regards,
Dave
In the ones I've noticed, the bending is visible at the back of the backstroke.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the ones I've noticed, the bending is visible at the back of the backstroke.
Wow. That is surprising. Again, please post a video link the next time you spot it.

Do you think this technique provides any benefit?

I can see how the cue might flex a little during the start of the forward stroke due to the downward acceleration of the cue (with a pendulum stroke), especially if the grip tightens up in preparation for the forward acceleration, but I would be very surprised to see the flex before the forward stroke acceleration begins.

Thanks,
Dave

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Many things done instinctively are the result of unconscious observations gained through experience. When players who are comfortable with an open bridge then switch to a closed one when massive draw is required, usually have a better result, for whatever reasons.
Others are truly fallacious, such as ‘swiping’ to gain more english (the subconscious mind adds 2 plus 2, and gets 5). More tip surface contact area = more spin. More contact target time = more spin. Thus, swiping = more spin. WRONG! The unconscious mind often makes unwarranted assumptions, regardless of resulting experience.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Good points, but you do not need to be an "elite cueist" to use an open bridge effectively. And getting rid of some of the "stroke flaws" that might make a closed bridge more effective might also improve one's draw stroke.

Not the point, Dave.

There's theory and practice. In practice, extremely few players will ever do what it takes to get their fundamentals in strong working order. The vast majority of players have a huge problem keeping the cue straight when they hit the cue ball hard with an open bridge. These players need, to use your term, the "crutch" that a closed bridge offers.

I agree that the open bridge can be as effective for draw in theory, but this just doesn't hold up in practice for the vast majority of players, and the idea that more than a very small percentage of players with stroke flaws will do something about it can be added to your list of myths.

All of that said, Dave, great job on your ten myths list and accompanying video.