Jumping up & Head movement

mindtriplx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

I have a problem of jumping up and sometimes, moving my head or turning it (especially on a cut shot, and during my last stroke).

Is there some kind of exercise you can recommend to help eliminate this problem?

I know of the drill where, I can shoot balls until every balls comes to a stop.

Last edited:

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Head motion

Hi,

I have a problem of jumping up and sometimes, moving my head or turning it (especially on a cut shot, and during my last stroke).

Is there some kind of exercise you can recommend to help eliminate this problem?

I know of the drill where, I can shoot balls until every balls comes to a stop.

You likely have two issues here. I've seen some strong players turn their head on some shots. It can be a problem with the dominant eye, or simply a nervous tick. Regarding general head movement, this is one thing that clearly separates high level amateurs from pros. Players unconsciously develop a little upward or forward motion of the head, often on particular strokes, like follow. It may be only a slight movement, but it creates the effect of shooting at a moving target. Here are five possible remedies:

When you hit your first few shots of the day, think only about keeping your head still, - gets you off on the right foot.

When practicing, do not give yourself permission to stand up after hitting the cue ball, until either the object ball disappears into a pocket or the balls stop rolling. Jimmy Scrima showed me this method in 1991.

If someone tells you you have head movement, but you don't feel it, have them hold a cue an inch above your head while you're practicing. If you raise up, you'll have proof! My VNEA champ teammates used this method in the '80s.

"Pose" after every shot. Jerry Briesath showed me this method in '72, as part of his "look like a pro, play like a pro" approach.

Take an extra stroke AFTER you strike the cue ball. If you keep your head still for the extra stroke, it virtually has to be still for the business stroke. I like to use this when I'm feeling a lot of pressure.

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor
Gainesville, Fl

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
It depends. You have to find the right eye pattern that works for you and your stroke timing. It is all about when you transition your eyes from cue ball to object ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
It depends. You have to find the right eye pattern that works for you and your stroke timing. It is all about when you transition your eyes from cue ball to object ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

More to learn I see :)

Thanks Tony!

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have trouble with head movement and don't know why it's happening, try this exercise:

Stand up straight, about 4 feet from a wall. Look at the wall at eye level. Then look about 3 feet above it. You will find that your head naturally tilts to accommodate your eyes.

Now do the same thing again, only this time keep your head still and just move your eyes.

The natural thing for us to do is to move our head to accommodate our eyes. In pool, we have to train ourselves that once we're in shooting position, we can only move our eyes. Minimal head movement is okay, but once it starts to interfere with the stability of your stroke, you are treading on dangerous ground.

irock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, I thought I was solid on the head moving part of my game, but when I tried Fran,s experiment, I moved. It just goes to show you, improvement in pool never ends. lol

Last edited:

tattoosbyjay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i did a video of myself shooting a rack or so tonight and holy crap i had no idea my head moved so much im sure that is a big part of me missing so many easy shots i would upload it but i dont have a youtube acc

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You likely have two issues here. I've seen some strong players turn their head on some shots. It can be a problem with the dominant eye, or simply a nervous tick. Regarding general head movement, this is one thing that clearly separates high level amateurs from pros. Players unconsciously develop a little upward or forward motion of the head, often on particular strokes, like follow. It may be only a slight movement, but it creates the effect of shooting at a moving target. Here are five possible remedies:

When you hit your first few shots of the day, think only about keeping your head still, - gets you off on the right foot.

When practicing, do not give yourself permission to stand up after hitting the cue ball, until either the object ball disappears into a pocket or the balls stop rolling. Jimmy Scrima showed me this method in 1991.

If someone tells you you have head movement, but you don't feel it, have them hold a cue an inch above your head while you're practicing. If you raise up, you'll have proof! My VNEA champ teammates used this method in the '80s.

"Pose" after every shot. Jerry Briesath showed me this method in '72, as part of his "look like a pro, play like a pro" approach.

Take an extra stroke AFTER you strike the cue ball. If you keep your head still for the extra stroke, it virtually has to be still for the business stroke. I like to use this when I'm feeling a lot of pressure.

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor
Gainesville, Fl

These are wonderful tips. Thanks very much!