PSR consistency questions

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw a thread in the main forum recently about PSR, and got me thinking about a few questions I had. Sorry, a little long... :)

I'm still struggling with developing a consistent PSR. Over the past months I've definitely identified and scrapped a number of things that don't work, but I still find myself varying my PSR somewhat. For instance, some nights I may take 2 quicker strokes and 1 full length, slower stroke as I'm settling into the shot (aiming strokes). Then look at the ball, take another stroke or two, pause, shoot. Other nights, those aiming / warmup strokes might be quicker, shorter, or vary in number. I've shot very well with several different rhythms, but I can't get one to work consistently - one night it may feel great, but the next time I play it may feel too restrictive, or too slow, or the opposite of those.

Secondly, I've noticed that when I'm "on", which I largely have been to some degree since the first of the year and getting out of my slump, I barely feel like I'm focusing on the object ball. I aim while standing, pivot into position on the way down, and when getting down on the shot I sometimes don't even have any recollection of looking at the object ball for several shots in a row, sometimes a whole rack. It's not really like dead stroke (haven't truly felt that in a LONG time), just more like maybe my initial alignment and move into the ball are just more accurate some nights where I'm almost not even checking my aim once down. I know that's generally bad, but when it's working it feels very freeing, and I play in a slightly faster more natural rhythm. Problem is I can't really maintain that all the time, and if I start out in that rhythm it can be counterproductive when I'm not really feeling it yet.

So with the first two points, how do you build a PSR that stands up for "normal" play as well as when you start to get in stroke, where your movements might quicken a bit or become more free or natural or subconscious? And do you try to build your routine around that rhythm, to sort of "fake" yourself into feeling loose and free, or should you start in a more regimented, focused rhythm and let everything evolve from there?

Lastly, since I'm more CB focused than some, I can tend to ignore the OB a bit too much, as I've stated above. I'm trying to incorporate more looks at the OB in my routine, even though sometimes it makes me feel like I'm playing too slow. When I initially get down on the shot, though, and taking those first few aiming strokes, should I be looking at the CB exclusively? That's what I try to do now, take a few strokes to get the arm loose and make sure I'm at center ball (or wherever I'm aiming at on the CB). Pause, then a distinct movement to look up at the OB, usually for 1/2 - 1 second or so as opposed to a quick glance. Then I might take 1 or 2 more warmup strokes, then another pause at the CB to look up at the OB again. I think that works, and that second glance is good for me to verify aim and feel, but there are nights where it feels way too slow and I want to have shot already and be moving on to the next shot. It's just this constant balance between that fast and loose feel (subconscious) and a more rigid, regimented, analytical approach where I might make less stupid aiming mistakes but never fully get into rhythm.

Any advice is appreciated. I know I overthink this stuff sometimes, but I'm very analytical, and I need to think about it and solve the issue in order to get past it and forget about it, if that makes sense. Did the same thing in other sports, and until I get past some of these things just feels like a constant struggle, especially given the small amount of hours I get to play per week.

Thanks!
Scott

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott, I'd like you to try an experiment if you're up for it.

I don't know what your practice schedule is but I would like you to commit to a 3-hour practice session and do the following: Throw out 9 balls, take ball in hand and try to run them in order. You can break if you like, but take BIH on the 1-ball.

Don't think about your PSR. Just shoot. As you go along, you can make small adjustments but don't put too much emphasis on your PSR and don't analyze too much. Just play without the burden of trying to figure something out.

We all need a break from the burdensome task of 'working' on our games. You may think you HAVE to figure things out consciously, but you don't. Not all the time.

Sometimes we just have to cut ourselves some slack. You'd be surprised what can happen.

JLD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You gave your own answer to your problem. The very definition of consistency is doing the same thing the same way time after time. If you are continually changing your Pre Shot Routine you will never have one that is consistent and works for you. Pick the one that works best for you and stay with it without making daily changes. Radical changes often produce radical results not consistent ones. If you can't get it to work after a couple months you might consider finding a good instructor.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
my 2 cents and i thank the instructors who worked with me
back off from the table decide on Aim Spin Speed

get down on the shot
set pause fire
viola :)
jmho icbw

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Scott, I understand what you are saying. It goes along with the old adage of practice like you want to play, and play like you practice. Building that consistency, that's the rub. When learning a new way, we do have to focus on each step. Where some go wrong, is that they can't let go of focusing on each step.

You have to reach a point that you know you have trained your mind and muscle how to do it the way you want to, and then trust your mind to operate correctly without adding each and every step.

When you run, you just tell your mind to run, and them trust it to put one foot in front of the other quickly at the right time. You don't go through each step of running in your mind. You have to do the same thing with playing. You initially train your mind how to do something, then you have to "let go" and trust your mind to operate as trained. When you do that, then you get that "free" feeling, and a good rhythm going.

If, at some point, you notice a problem, then just correct your mind on how to do it properly. Your subconscious can not work properly with your conscious mind telling it what to do on each step. There is no "flow" to doing that. Learn to trust your training, and just perform.

Great Posting Neil !!

:thumbup:

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses.

I'm a good enough player where I should know what to do, but easier to tell or show someone else than myself, funny how that works...

I'm a very analytical person, and I think it drives me nuts that certain things don't feel the same way, and I find myself naturally slipping into different rhythms at different times. I look at certain pros - not all, because some vary quite a bit too - but guys like SVB, Thorsten, Efren, etc., just the same thing more or less on every shot. I'm sure some thought and experimentation went into find that rhythm that suited them, but once found they just stick to it. I had a rhythm when I played before, but after a long layoff and information overload I find myself waffling a lot, looking for that magic bullet I guess.

I actually got into a discussion last night with someone and had an epiphany. I don't play as much as I would like - 1 or 2 nights a week, trying to practice in the chaos of the room with noise, people coming up wanting to play, etc. With all of the changes I've made in the last year, most of them good, I think some things still are new to me, and when I start practicing if things aren't going as well as I'd like I start thinking of something different to do, rather than just sticking it out. I guess I always think that I'm not doing something right and something needs to be "fixed".

So I try something different - add a pause, a stroke, different grip pressure, a different rhythm, etc. It may work, it may not. Then 3 - 4 days later I'm playing, maybe something else doesn't feel right. I tweak something else, rinse and repeat. After a week or two of this, I might be so far off what I normally do that next thing you know I lose even more confidence and I'm in a slump.

However, by the same token, I can't ignore the way my brain works, and I have 4 - 6 questions that have plagued me for years. If I could find a coach or someone that could watch me shoot, offer advice on which rhythm seems to suit me, criticize my eye patterns, timing, etc., I might have a definitive direction to take, I could take it, forget everything else, videotape it, write it down, etc. and have something to come back to when things aren't feeling natural. Work in progress for sure.

Fran, I will try what you say, always love your advice. Definitely an issue somewhere with conscious vs. subconscious and that balance and it's impact on my confidence. I'm playing tomorrow, someone asked to have me play with them and help them but I should have an hour or two before they show up. I'll see what happens!!

Thanks again for the responses,
Scott