oh my

tattoosbyjay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i had no idea i moved so much when down on a shot , i took two years away from the game , just started playing again i dont feel right at the table mt stance feels funny and i cant seem to sight the ball in a way i feel confident on the shot sorry the video is so long any advice im all ears

tattoosbyjay
[/URL][/IMG]

Mark Avlon

Northwest Pool School
Silver Member
My post from earlier today should help you significantly.

There are a series of steps we take from standing to the end of our stroke, and each one has an important purpose. Yours is abbreviated and provides a lot of room for error. Here's a simple pre-shot routine you should use.

1. Address the Cue Ball on the line of aim
2. Rest my cue and check my Set Position and aim
3. Practice strokes to verify they're straight and smooth
4. Rest the cue in my Set Position and check my aim
5. Slow / smooth Backswing
6. Pause and relax
7. Accelerate the cue to your Finish position
8. Freeze and evaluate the shot and your stroke

Tip: We need to clearly see you, not the shot. Use these camera setups when recording yourself shooting. Make sure your grip had is visible at the end of your backswing, and the tip is visible at the end of your stroke.

tattoosbyjay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My post from earlier today should help you significantly.

There are a series of steps we take from standing to the end of our stroke, and each one has an important purpose. Yours is abbreviated and provides a lot of room for error. Here's a simple pre-shot routine you should use.

1. Address the Cue Ball on the line of aim
2. Rest my cue and check my Set Position and aim
3. Practice strokes to verify they're straight and smooth
4. Rest the cue in my Set Position and check my aim
5. Slow / smooth Backswing
6. Pause and relax
7. Accelerate the cue to your Finish position
8. Freeze and evaluate the shot and your stroke

Tip: We need to clearly see you, not the shot. Use these camera setups when recording yourself shooting. Make sure your grip had is visible at the end of your backswing, and the tip is visible at the end of your stroke.

thanks for the feedback ill deff give that a try and ill see if i can make a new video with better camera work

tattoosbyjay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
also i dont know how or what bend at the hips mean i think that would help me get more level on the shot and be a bit easier on my back

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Jay, do you compete much? You seem to have a very casual style of playing. My guess is that you aren't competing much these days. That's not a bad thing, just a feeling I have when I watch you play.

Your stroke timing can get a little off at times because of your continuous stroking. I know it's hard to change that once it's become a habit, so maybe you can slow it down a bit as you get closer to pulling the trigger.

You don't roll your shots, which I like in a player. You're not afraid to hit the ball. I just think if you slowed down your practice strokes as you get closer to the final stroke, you may be able to improve your stroke timing which will help in ball pocketing and position play.

Yep, you do have some movement but not a whole lot. I like your arm swing and your back hand looks good on the cue. No twisting or turning going on. That's all good.

Overall, I'd say not bad at all. You're pretty solid. You just need a little tweaking here and there, and definitely a little competition would do you good.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great stroke.

I saw 4 things you may want to consider working on.

1. Take the long way around the table to the next shot.

2. On the final stroke stop your cue at the cue ball then pull back and shoot.

3. In the video it appears that you are over hitting the object ball.

4. Stand back away from the table and walk into the shot line.

Other than that I think your pretty much ready to go.

Oh yeah, how many times have you hit your head on that beam.:grin:

I'm not an instructor.

John

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great stroke.

I'm not an instructor.

John

Hey John, how come you're not an instructor? You seem to like teaching.

tattoosbyjay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Jay, do you compete much? You seem to have a very casual style of playing. My guess is that you aren't competing much these days. That's not a bad thing, just a feeling I have when I watch you play.

Your stroke timing can get a little off at times because of your continuous stroking. I know it's hard to change that once it's become a habit, so maybe you can slow it down a bit as you get closer to pulling the trigger.

You don't roll your shots, which I like in a player. You're not afraid to hit the ball. I just think if you slowed down your practice strokes as you get closer to the final stroke, you may be able to improve your stroke timing which will help in ball pocketing and position play.

Yep, you do have some movement but not a whole lot. I like your arm swing and your back hand looks good on the cue. No twisting or turning going on. That's all good.

Overall, I'd say not bad at all. You're pretty solid. You just need a little tweaking here and there, and definitely a little competition would do you good.

i used to play alot in the pro ams but i took two years away from the game and now im trying to get back in the groove all great advise i have a tourney this coming week so im gonna try and bare down and see what happens ill post a new video in a few weeks once i have tried to work on a few things

tattoosbyjay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great stroke.

I'm not an instructor.

John

thanks and lol ive hit my head on that thing way to many times its tough trying to get back into the game i love to play and i love the game just very frustrating when just starting back up i agree i need to take the walk around the table and walk into the shot that may even help me slow my tempo a bit and make it easier to focus

tattoosbyjay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for the feed back everyone im going to try and work on a few things and make a new video , id like to get back up to speed seems to be a bit harder than i thought it would be, i want to get everything worked out and get it down so if i do take time away from the game it wont be so hard to get up and going again, i never feel i had great fundamentals no one ever taught me i just picked up a cue and started pocketing balls and i was hooked but i have never played for any longer than a year at a time id say 5 years of total playing all together with long long layoffs inbetween like id play 9 months here then not play for a year then 11 months there then not play for 2 even 3 years , but im thinking id like to keep playing this time since i have my table set up now nice tight 4 inch pockets :) and the table plays great so now i just want to get my self on track so i dont lose motivation

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for the feed back everyone im going to try and work on a few things and make a new video , id like to get back up to speed seems to be a bit harder than i thought it would be, i want to get everything worked out and get it down so if i do take time away from the game it wont be so hard to get up and going again, i never feel i had great fundamentals no one ever taught me i just picked up a cue and started pocketing balls and i was hooked but i have never played for any longer than a year at a time id say 5 years of total playing all together with long long layoffs inbetween like id play 9 months here then not play for a year then 11 months there then not play for 2 even 3 years , but im thinking id like to keep playing this time since i have my table set up now nice tight 4 inch pockets :) and the table plays great so now i just want to get my self on track so i dont lose motivation

Jay,

You seem to be a natural.

Yeah there is something about this game that is intriging. I have like it since I was 15 and that was 50 years ago. Do the math.:)

My son came to me one day and said he really liked playing the game but was inconsistent. I said okay, start hitting some balls around. (I have my own table). He got into his stance and bent over to shoot, at this time a put my hand on his grip hand.........holy smoke, he gripped the cue like you would grip a hammer. His stance was out of whack also. He was also shooting with his whole arm. Good grief.:confused:

So, I showed him how to craddle the cue and get into a comfortable stance in the shot line and to shoot from the elbow down.

He said he liked to play one pocket. So we started going to C&C on Sundays. He is still standing way off to the side of the cue but is shooting from the elbow down. He doesnt practice, says he doesnt have the time.

I told him that if you ever expect to be a good player you will have to practice very day and practice the same things you have to do on every shot. I told him tro practice 14.1 because the game has no end, (until you miss) Your PSR has to become automatic to a point where you dont have to think about it when your in the field.

I am really impressed with Stevie Moores style, good tempo.

What may help to get a good rythm going is to listen to some music while practicing and get into the same rythm as the music.

I'm an old time rock n roll fan.

long winded, sorry

Have fun Jay.

Fran, Mark Wilson is the man in my area. I do enjoy helping folks who are interested in leaning the game.

John

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay,

......hope you don't mind my jumping in here....

Yeah there is something about this game that is intriging. I have like it since I was 15 and that was 50 years ago. Do the math.:)

My son came to me one day and said he really liked playing the game but was inconsistent. I said okay, start hitting some balls around. (I have my own table). He got into his stance and bent over to shoot, at this time a put my hand on his grip hand.........holy smoke, he gripped the cue like you would grip a hammer. His stance was out of whack also. He was also shooting with his whole arm. Good grief.:confused:

So, I showed him how to craddle the cue and get into a comfortable stance in the shot line and to shoot from the elbow down.

Hey John, if you're ever in NYC sometime, look me up and I'll give you my take on shooting certain shots with the upper arm.

He said he liked to play one pocket. So we started going to C&C on Sundays. He is still standing way off to the side of the cue but is shooting from the elbow down. He doesnt practice, says he doesnt have the time.

I told him that if you ever expect to be a good player you will have to practice very day and practice the same things you have to do on every shot. I told him tro practice 14.1 because the game has no end, (until you miss) Your PSR has to become automatic to a point where you dont have to think about it when your in the field.

I've seen players just two minutes away from a nervous breakdown trying to play 14.1. Oh ---- I think I was just talking about myself here. LOL. Actually Ray Martin told me the opposite many years ago. He told me to play 9-ball and then switch to 14.1 after I became a good shot maker. Interesting take, right?

Me too.

What may help to get a good rythm going is to listen to some music while practicing and get into the same rythm as the music.

I tried that once, and then the William Tell Overture came on and all hell broke loose.

long winded, sorry

There's no apologizing in pool. :D

Have fun Jay.

Fran, Mark Wilson is the man in my area. I do enjoy helping folks who are interested in leaning the game.

Wow. I never realized Mark Wilson owned so much land.

But seriously, if you became an instructor you wouldn't have to keep putting "I'm not an instructor" at the end of your posts. Think how much typing time you'll save.

irock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good advice Fran and One Pocket John, could you elaborate on taking the long way around to the next shot, I have never heard this before.

Thanks

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good advice Fran and One Pocket John, could you elaborate on taking the long way around to the next shot, I have never heard this before.

Thanks[/QUO

Okay lets say you have to shoot the a ball in the corner pocket and the next ball you are playing position for is, lets say the side pocket, and all you have to do is stop your ball. Instead of immediately shooting the ball in the side (after making the ball in the corner) stand up and walk around the table. This also helps to develope rythm.

I cant tell you how many shots have been missed by taking short routes.

Always stand away from the table at least 5 to 6 feet and walk into the shot line.

Like Lee Brett says, the area around the table is my yard and no one is allowed in my yard but me. Use the whole yard.

John

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But seriously, if you became an instructor you wouldn't have to keep putting "I'm not an instructor" at the end of your posts. Think how much typing time you'll save.[/B][/COLOR]

Cant afford it Fran, Im on SS and that is one of the reasons I havent met with Scott Lee.

The chances of me ever being in NYC are rrrreeeaaalll slim. I'm a country type of guy and do not care for large crowds. I hate even going to Walmart.

John

tattoosbyjay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay,

You seem to be a natural.

long winded, sorry

Have fun Jay.

John

thanks i appriciate the help im planning on trying to start to really get some quality practice in and work on everything to try and improve my game , especially one pocket i love that game and id even like to start playing straight pool in a few weeks ill try and post a new video with what i hope will be some progress again thanks for the help and support :)

tattoosbyjay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks[/QUO

Okay lets say you have to shoot the a ball in the corner pocket and the next ball you are playing position for is, lets say the side pocket, and all you have to do is stop your ball. Instead of immediately shooting the ball in the side (after making the ball in the corner) stand up and walk around the table. This also helps to develope rythm.

I cant tell you how many shots have been missed by taking short routes.

Always stand away from the table at least 5 to 6 feet and walk into the shot line.

Like Lee Brett says, the area around the table is my yard and no one is allowed in my yard but me. Use the whole yard.

John

i cant wait for his video to come out im also ordering his book looks like the video teaser was really easy and clear to follow with a nice exciting pace to it