14.1 Primer

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
14.1 Primer
There has to be a simple 4 or 5 page (double spaced) with a few figures for beginner, novice, D to C level players.

Anyone know of such a thing?

Thanks in advance.

I am trying to introduce the game to 8 or less players interested in improving their overall pocket billiards experience.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, perhaps you can introduce them to some of the videos Dennis downloaded, or find a game like Johnny Ervolino and Earl Strickland with Danny D and Billy I commentating on youtube. I suggest that because I know it to be on youtube, but any game with great commentary would be very informative to watch. I'm sure they would get a lot out of that, probably more than trying to explain it in a few written words. Then give them a link to the rules for 14.1 as well.

Just a thought ... :)

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
When I first started straight pool the most challenging event was watching my opponent run out. Nowadays I just like watching shot play. Compared to other games the shot play is much more predictable because of that I get to enjoy whether or not my opponent is playing on luck or using strategy. In the beginning I thought high runs were something worth achieving, now I just goof around playing safes and seeing how my opponents manage the situation.

The best is when someone just can't find the safe to play and totally gives up. It is like watching a self-destruct mode on a robot.

After watching the top pros and legends runout 150, 100 and almost 200, I figured it isn't worth it to try to aspire to that level. In conclusion it is best to just enjoy the skill level I am at and find ways to determine the skill level of others. When up against a stronger straight pool player, what is exciting is managing my emotions away from the table. I get into the match and I want to win and show my opponent I can play, but watching the professionals go at it makes me reconsider what time off the table means. I try to spend it just thinking about what I want to do at the table and why I want to do it.

In the beginning I should have just focused on playing the table instead of trying to find a break ball. I know I miss shots and there is no reason to imagine I can get to the break ball each time I am at the table. So I rely on strategy I am not going to attempt a ball for a runout when I know it is challenging for me I'd rather lose the turn and force my opponent into a low runout, rather than give them an opportunity for the high run.

I am also table time efficient a great way to enjoy of table time is to join the straight pool league, safe battles can last as long as 3 hours, reference the movie "The Hustler" with Paul Newman.

Last edited:

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
There's a real good one listed in George Fels book Mastering Pool it's a 1970's edition and out of print but I think the When Ever Possible list is really a good introduction to how you should play the game particularly for the C level player.

14.1 Primer
There has to be a simple 4 or 5 page (double spaced) with a few figures for beginner, novice, D to C level players.

Anyone know of such a thing?

Thanks in advance.

I am trying to introduce the game to 8 or less players interested in improving their overall pocket billiards experience.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know of any printed primer but I have to agree with the use of videos as a learning tool.

When I was a kid, a few years ago, you learned by quietly sitting in the pool hall and watching the good players and then going to the table and trying to do what you saw.

In this day of instructors, videos and the internet, the opportunities for learning have increased dramatically. There is plenty of stuff on You Tube for free. For a small cost, you can get videos of many matches. You can also get excellent videos by Jim Rempe, "How to Run a Rack" and "How to Run 100 Balls". I highly recommend these videos and they are available from AccuStats.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I don't know of any printed primer but I have to agree with the use of videos as a learning tool.

When I was a kid, a few years ago, you learned by quietly sitting in the pool hall and watching the good players and then going to the table and trying to do what you saw.

In this day of instructors, videos and the internet, the opportunities for learning have increased dramatically. There is plenty of stuff on You Tube for free. For a small cost, you can get videos of many matches. You can also get excellent videos by Jim Rempe, "How to Run a Rack" and "How to Run 100 Balls". I highly recommend these videos and they are available from AccuStats.

Very good advice Rich, although i would just let them watch how to run a rack. watching the 100 ball run might be a overwhelming lesson for such a beginner, it might actually be a deterent to a new student of the game !

-Steve

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another couple of ways to learn the game might be:

Find a knowlegeable player to mentor you. Schedule weekly games with him and ask questions, gleen knowlege.

Find a 14.1 league to play in. Study the playing styles/patterns etc of your opponents.

Ask your pool room operator to bring in an instructor for 14.1.

Just some thoughts.....

-Dennis

Wally in Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Rich about Rempe's "How to Run a Rack".

I think I have that Fels book. I can copy the pertinent info if you want. I don't get on here much so email me.

Babe Cranfeld's Straight Pool Bible is an easy read. But it's 100 pages, not 5.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I'm probably going out on a limb here, but linked below is the primer I distribute to & discuss with new members of my 14.1 leagues. It's a mix of specific statements/rules/ideas and bullet points to be elaborated on face-to-face.

I also distribute & discuss a series of illustrations I prepared using cuetable. These illustrations primarily address break shot decisions. I warn the players that these may not match conventional wisdom, but it's what works for me...a banger.

Here's the whole package...please don't ridicule me.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0YY176C4

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I'm probably going out on a limb here, but linked below is the primer I distribute to & discuss with new members of my 14.1 leagues. It's a mix of specific statements/rules/ideas and bullet points to be elaborated on face-to-face.

I also distribute & discuss a series of illustrations I prepared using cuetable. These illustrations primarily address break shot decisions. I warn the players that these may not match conventional wisdom, but it's what works for me...a banger.

Good stuff! I will give the link to Rich 93 for our leagues, too.:thumbup:

Here is some stuff from a Tom Kollins seminar many years ago. Bobby Hunter took that seminar and said he learned a lot.

Attachments

• tomKollinsbreakshots.pdf
    95.9 KB · Views: 360

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Thanks for all the replies,

Great work on the graphics and the documentation. If you don't mind, I plan on offering these to those players that are interested.

Again, Thanks and good work sir.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
You may use them to serve your uses, but please repeat the warning that some of the break shot illustrations should not be taken as gospel...and probably disagree with textbook 14.1 strategy. In that regard, there is no better resource than videos such as Grady's key balls & break shots from Accustats.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good advice Rich, although i would just let them watch how to run a rack. watching the 100 ball run might be a overwhelming lesson for such a beginner, it might actually be a deterent to a new student of the game !

-Steve

After watching "How to Run a Rack" this week, they will be ready for "How to Run 100 Balls" next week. ;)

Seriously, the thing they can get from "How to Run 100 Balls" is how to make the transition from one rack to the next. Even if they are only running a few balls, you have to make the rack to rack transition once in a while.
Although they may never run 100 balls themselves, there is a lot to learn from that video.

Another great video from AccuStats is a 14.1 match between Rempe and Ginky. IIRC, it was from the world championships a number of years ago. Rempe does a player review of the match with Pat Fleming and talks us through every shot. It is almost like being inside his head while playing. IMHO, this video is a must see for anyone wanting to learn 14.1.