Earl and the SBE tournament

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
When I play my matches in Vegas, there is a time to play te match. If a player is not at the table, the referee is told of this absence. The player is put on he clock and forfeits if he is 15 minutes late.

Why was Earl's opponent not DQ'd?

Is this not the policy in this particular Pro event? :confused:

Nobody cares because Earl had an invisible crosshair on him for speaking his mind and that type of advanced thinking is frowned up in the traveling pool tour scene. This event was the moment someone decided to play cowboy and teach Earl the lesson "he had coming to him."

Just drink up, shoot up and luck out then wait for the next chance. Earl's words which few are ever exchanged during a tournament are just too much for that particular ref. Earl probably used some words the guy didn't know and thought Earl was getting a little too lippy. When Earl didn't stop reasoning he was ejected because people get headaches when they hear words they don't know the meaning of. At that point the person doing the talking is classified as "hostile" and person listening is thought to be in charge of maintaining the atmosphere of the pool room. And hostile players do not deserve to be around other players.

Last edited:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
When I play my matches in Vegas, there is a time to play te match. If a player is not at the table, the referee is told of this absence. The player is put on he clock and forfeits if he is 15 minutes late.

Why was Earl's opponent not DQ'd?

Is this not the policy in this particular Pro event? :confused:

That is unless they do not speak English. I was forced to wait 45 minutes because my Masters opponent was from Spain. He obviously didn't understand. After the match was over, I asked him where he was. His interpreter told me he was on a hot streak at the craps tables! Happily, I won the match. Referee just shrugged his shoulders! Special poeple get special treatment.

Lyn

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
I was told that the TD made a full explanation of why he DQ'd Earl. It was on the STREAM during the final match.

Did anyone hear that? Exactly what was the reason Earl was DQ'd?

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Nobody cares because Earl had an invisible crosshair on him for speaking his mind and that type of advanced thinking is frowned up in the traveling pool tour scene. This event was the moment someone decided to play cowboy and teach Earl the lesson "he had coming to him."

Just drink up, shoot up and luck out then wait for the next chance. Earl's words which few are ever exchanged during a tournament are just too much for that particular ref. Earl probably used some words the guy didn't know and thought Earl was getting a little too lippy. When Earl didn't stop reasoning he was ejected because people get headaches when they hear words they don't know the meaning of. At that point the person doing the talking is classified as "hostile" and person listening is thought to be in charge of maintaining the atmosphere of the pool room. And hostile players do not deserve to be around other players.

Again I say what?????

Lyn

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are right my friend on many of your points. I was not there and only have what ES told me himself and then the other side of it and then the ones in between. The TD is a bit of douche in my personal opinion and probably did what he thought he needed to do. However I think if he was going to do this he should have done it at the Alex match not reflect on it for a few hours and decide he was butt hurt about what Earl had said and go back and DQ him.

However most of what you said sounds about right.

I agree, and I was there! Can Earl be unbending, and hard to deal with? Yes he can. Does he most often have a valid point? Yes he does! IMOP, The TD (Frank) made it personal because he didn't feel Earl was respecting his position. I felt the TD was way too involved, and tried to micro manage every match. I have never seen a ref/TD get in the way as often as he did when judging a hit. Several players had to ask him to please move so they could determine how to hit a shot. Do I agree with everthing Earl says, or does? No, but I also hear people in the stands say they hope they are here if Earl loses his cool. Just vultures in my opinion. I hope Earl can get help for the demons he has to battle, and I hope to see him play well again soon! :thumbup:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you think Earl should be disqualified for questioning where his opponent was 25 mins after it was supposed to start? There's a lot Earl does that deserves to get him disqualified. To me this isn't it.

you don't have the whole story. Sounds like you don't even have 1/2 the story. There was a whole scene before this match took place. Earl was on very thin ice. You know as well as I that there are many ways of raising an objection to your opponent being late. Do you think Earl was calm and reasonable with the TD? My guess is not. For example, when someone cuts me off on the road, I am totally within my rights to be upset with them. However, how I handle it from there has a *really* wide range. I am not really justified in screaming or yelling at them, or driving aggressively towards them, even though those behaviors would be *understandable*.

The idea is that given the events preceding his "final straw", he needed to be very careful how he chose to raise and voice any subsequent objections to *anything*. Earl clearly didn't recognize this, and paid the price.

KMRUNOUT

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lyn, thanks for your comments and they are always welcome and respected.

As for NumbNuts, I just ignor him now.

That's not numnuts, that's Charlie Sheen and he's been drinking "tiger Blood" all day> Boy, that Charlie sure gets around!:grin-square::grin::D:p

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
The tournament director was well within his power to tell Mr. Strickland to "hit the road". His antics are part of his personality and he uses these "moves" to try to rattle his opponets. He did the same thing at Turning Stone when he played Hunter Lombardo but Hunter ignored him and calmly it pissed him off even more as he ran out to beat Earl. Mr. Strickland's comments and actions around the table, while amusing, are unsportsmanlike and don't have a place in any professional tournament. I want to commend the tournament director for doing a good job. there is no place for "bullying" at the table!

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, but I see it as people trying to put Earl on TILT. People have been knocking him and his personality for years when most of the time Earl's just requiring his opponent to follow the rules

to the letter, just like he does himself. He asked Alex to straighten the rack, even the comedian/tournament director had him straighten the rack, as it was tilted, but Earl's treated like he's the a-hole for requiring the rack be set

according to the rules. The same as when Dennis was spotting the cue ball over the line when he was breaking at the masters. Earl was vilified for making Dennis comply with the rules! They know what they're doing when they

do such things and what the effect on Earl's demeanor will be. I don't think it's Earl that's pulling the move, it's the people instigating the situation. Earl is a professional who tries harder than probably any other player on the

planet.

He may be easy to put on TILT which is to the advantage of his opponents, and they push his buttons because it's easier to beat him that way! JMHO

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was there when the first scene occurred. If he would have thrown him out for that no problem. I guess that means he's not aloud to question anything for the rest of the tournament in your book? In that same earlier match someone was 15 mins late and he forfited his match. I was sitting in the VIP section by the door and heard the ref tell the guy when he showed that it was the players responsibility to know when he was to play. I guess that changes when you play Earl because earls opponent got 25mins and a courtesy call. Lol

you don't have the whole story. Sounds like you don't even have 1/2 the story. There was a whole scene before this match took place. Earl was on very thin ice. You know as well as I that there are many ways of raising an objection to your opponent being late. Do you think Earl was calm and reasonable with the TD? My guess is not. For example, when someone cuts me off on the road, I am totally within my rights to be upset with them. However, how I handle it from there has a *really* wide range. I am not really justified in screaming or yelling at them, or driving aggressively towards them, even though those behaviors would be *understandable*.

The idea is that given the events preceding his "final straw", he needed to be very careful how he chose to raise and voice any subsequent objections to *anything*. Earl clearly didn't recognize this, and paid the price.

KMRUNOUT

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
trob,

To me the saddest thing about this unfortunate occurrence is, it happened at all. Whether you are "for" or "against" Earl becomes meaningless. Posters have spent ten times the lineage on this subject while Ralf's win has gone virtually unmentioned. Once read bad publicity is better than no publicity. Guess it is the truth here! What will people remember about the 2011 SBE? Ralf or Earl? Sad isn't it?

For many years, my actions were deplorable. Ask anyone who played me in the eighties and early ninties. I complained, sharked both physically and verbally and made my opponents pay a high price to play me. A time came when the price I paid became too great. Found a way to remain relatively calm without chemicals thanks to my friend Ron "Julio" Casanzio. Watching Earl is like looking in the mirror. My guess is, only the level of talent is different. I've walked a mile in Earl's shoes.

Lyn