Bob Jewett's Articles in BD since '92

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've known Bob for many years. He's a very sharp, knowledgeable guy, but he still doesn't understand the effect of speed on a bank shot. He doesn't believe that speed shortens up the angle on a bank shot. We've been arguing this point for about 20 years or more! lol

Sherm
Actually, Sherm, I'm aware that in most situations shooting a bank harder will cause it to go shorter. It is something I often show students. The tricky part is that it's not the speed itself that shortens the shot -- it's the lack of acquired follow on the object ball that's important. It's easy to see this with an object ball frozen to the cushion -- speed has very little affect on the angle of the bank. On some snooker cushions higher speed makes a frozen ball bank longer.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
Actually, Sherm, I'm aware that in most situations shooting a bank harder will cause it to go shorter. It is something I often show students. The tricky part is that it's not the speed itself that shortens the shot -- it's the lack of acquired follow on the object ball that's important. It's easy to see this with an object ball frozen to the cushion -- speed has very little affect on the angle of the bank. On some snooker cushions higher speed makes a frozen ball bank longer.

I just had to poke you a little Bob, just so you'd know I'm still your buddy! lol

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member

The acquired follow on the object ball is only one variable responsible... The 2nd variable is how far off the table bed you have forced the object ball by firing it at whats usually called 90 miles an hour.....The 3rd variable is if the cushion actually allows the object ball to ride up on the vertical axis during compression before releasing it airborn for the first few inches... both of these will change the contact patch on the rail and shorten the bank...

If you want to test these hypotheses you can set up the frozen ball demo Bob talks about and stack pennies under the object ball.... By the time you are only 2 pennies high you will note a substantial shortening....