Joint Collar

KC7MRQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm in the process of having a cue made with a couple unique items. I made this Damascus joint collar as a test to see how well this steel machined. The actual joint collar used will be machined from scratch by John Madden. There will be a matching Damascus bolt made by him, too.

Figured I'd share a little of what will be a very unique cue when completed.

P1010028.jpg

Have a great day,
Corey

Flash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
makume gane

That is an awesome design, using the makume Gane technique...

Would love to see it finished

LosOsosCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really love the look of damascus steel. I have a money clip from William Henry made from damascus. First time I saw it was a few years ago and have always wanted to see it in a cue . Cant wait to see the final pictures.

bobco729

bobco729
Silver Member
Very Interesting ! John "Jack" Madden is a great guy to go with for this project.

Sgt. Schultz

KC7MRQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sgt,
Jack and Bev are basically neighbors (couple miles as the crow flies) so it's only fitting to go with him and keep the money local. Besides, I love the fit, form, and function of their work.

Have a great day,
Corey

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love damascus and wish we saw more in joint collars.

How about a side view?

:thumbup:

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
I love damascus and wish we saw more in joint collars.

How about a side view?

:thumbup:

+1 I would love a side view as well.

I'm a knife guy and I love damascus and have a few custom knives with dammy blades. But I have to ask, how many layers to make a joint like that? :eek:

KC7MRQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Side View

This particular type of Damascus causes the sides to look like a UPC Bar Code. The lines are random widths all the way around.

P1010033.jpg

Corey

KC7MRQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... But I have to ask, how many layers to make a joint like that? :eek:

The company that makes that particular type of Damascus doesn't divulge its methods. It's expensive and that particular piece would cost someone $75 - $100 in parts and labor to build one from scratch, fit it to the cue, and perform the necessary steps to bring out the pattern.

Corey

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well....I do really dig damascus.

I am a long time fan of Hugh Bartrug's Ashley Forge knives and was privileged to know the man.

I really dig how the joint face looks. But I am not as crazy about the side view. It's cool, sort of has a high tech look to it. As you say, like a bar code.

I think I would prefer to see more traditional damascus "grain" in the side view myself. But that's personal taste.

It's definitely a high grade component of high artistic value that will set a cue apart from others.

KC7MRQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chopdoc,
It does carry an artistic look to it, but won't be the primary Damascus piece. I chose the collar to be Damascus as a complement to the bolt will also be Damascus and will feature all the grain throughout the threads and end face.

Those two together should increase the "wow" factor.

Corey