My New Madden Cue

KC7MRQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This cue came from an idea while watching one of my in-laws make knives from a type of Damascus from Sweden and mosaic pins. I found the USA distributor and ordered a couple pieces round stock. I promptly traped over to Jack and Bev's house to pitch my idea. Three and half years later resulted in this creation.

It is a six point pink ivory & ebony with mastodon ivory. The mosaic pins are inlayed as buttons in the butt and the bolt, collar, and JP(s) have Damascus.

I picked up the cue today and during the initial inspection I came up with the brilliant idea of him doing a matching break cue. That Jack must be a mind reader because before I could open my mouth he made it very clear that he would never work with that steel again. I'm paraphrasing, but I remember phrases like, "hell freezes over" and "go jump in the lake" if that steel entered his shop again.

I'd like to publicly thank Jack and Bev for working with me on my first custom cue. I appreciate the work that went into the design. It truly is a cue that fits my personality.

Here are some preliminary pictures. I'll post higher quality pictures once I have enough time to get the camera equipment out.

cue_1.jpg

cue_2.jpg

cue_3.jpg

cue_4.jpg

cue_5.jpg

cue_6.jpg

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
Wow nice looking cue, the joint collar and pin are Sweet ! I like damascus steel in knives myself.

tommie1351

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beauty

A very beautiful cue by a very talented cuemaker. Leave it to Jack to do something different like he's done a ton of them!

mtglassguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cue

I personally saw this cue while it was still in Jack's shop.. VERY UNIQUE AND VERY NICE. I am a proud owner of a 3 cue set from Jack and his cue are among the best playing cues on the market no matter what anyone says. You have a one of a kind here... CHERISH IT.... I think Jack is one of the most under rated cue makers in the world today. No reason he isnt one of the tops. And his service is second to none. We have become very close friends. Enjoy it...

KC7MRQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Terry,
Thanks for the comments. I am ecstatic on how it turned out. More than I imagined. I hope to get some free time soon to take more pictures with proper lighting and equipment.

Corey

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
Love it!
I one of my friends shoot with a Madden recently. I no longer own that Madden cue! He gave up his Predator and raves about Jack's cue every time I talk to him.

EddySJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sweet damascus...

Is that a true stainless damascus? The pin looks really sweet...

I abandoned trying to get a damascus joint collar and pin from a bit of research I did when first wanting to get a cue done like 15 years ago. At that time, one of the guys at Texas Knifemaker Supply told me the pattern wouldn't come out as nice, and it would be very succeptible to rusting. I know that Damascus steel manufacture has come a long way since then. I also thought of possibly trying a "mokume gane" sleeve/billet... I think that may be too soft though.
Anyways,
Nice cue sir. I never thought of taking the bolster pins and using them too.
That is a very nice touch indeed.

Is the Joint/pin clearcoated or preserved in any way?
How did you decide on which pattern of damascus to use?

Jeremy

KC7MRQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that a true stainless damascus? ...
Is the Joint/pin clearcoated or preserved in any way?
How did you decide on which pattern of damascus to use?

Jeremy

Jeremy,
It is a true stainless steel and pattern was chosen while watching my inlaw make a knife from the steel. The collar and pin was not clearcoated and you can feel the pattern.

Corey