What was your pool hall like Growing up ?

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

As I sit here during the Covid -19 show stopper I often reflect back on my time as a Kid and a lot of Memories of the Pool Hall's I played in but one 2 in Particular was were I learned the game and the tricks of the trade so to speak. I thought it would interesting to read about the pool halls you grew up in and Fond memories of days gone by and the Players also. In our small town we had around 4-5 pool rooms , but 1 was a real genuine pool hall. Remind you of Ames from the Hustler.I can still see it , 6 tables , house sticks lined down the walls . A jukebox in the corner with old 45's Such as Elvis and Johnny Cash etc. The Counter stood and there was 6 Stool's going down in front so you could sit down and eat at the Counter and have the Best Chili you ever put a spoon in. The Owner made this Chili himself , along with his Wife and they called it Chili Gravy. It was thick and orange and the best chili I have ever eaten. He also made the best greasy cheeseburgers to go along with the Chili. The burgers were flat and thin but they had the best taste and paired with that Chili you had a meal. They gave you a bowl of Oyster crackers and that topped it off. Along with a bottle of Ice cold Pepsi and you was in business. The pool tables were steeple ton's and back when I was a kid it was 0.25 cents a game . loser paid if you were playing someone. He would have 8 ball tourny's as well. This was before 9 ball really became popular. There was some real pool shots that came there and it was just as much fun to watch them also. The Comradery with everyone made you look forward to going. Our town did not have much to do so pool was a form of entertainment as well as something for the kids to do . The Owner ran this pool room from the 50's until 1998 I believe so he had a good run but it had that old school vibe. What I would give to get that Chili recipe . I can taste it now. I grew up in that old building which is long gone now. The owner died last year, Now just Memories. Fast Forward to the late 90's The last standing pool room was owned by a friend of mine and I played there until it burned down from a grease fire. I played a lot of tournaments there, they had 8 ball singles on Friday night and 8 ball partner on Saturday night. There was a guy who lived in a few towns over who was one of the best I had ever seen with a cue ball. When I was about 15 a Friend and Me and his Dad went to watch this guy play in the back of a old service station were 1 old pool table was setup. We get there and were met by 2 guy's with guns on there sides and they let us in. He was playing another guy for $ 10,000 a rack. He beat the guy 3 straight for $ 30,000 and the other guy quit and said he was to good and could not beat him. I never seen a guy who could control the Cue ball like he could , almost as if he was talking to it and it was listing . I have to admit when I seen the 2 cat's with the guns at being 15 I was wondering what we had got into but luckily we made it out ok and got to watch some of the best shooting I had seen at that time. If you have any cool pool room stories please tell them. I am Sad to say That the old way of the Pool Hall is gone. Now they are all Bars it seems.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds a lot like my old pool room growing up in Kentucky. The absolute best cheese burgers and chili I ever had. I can still smell the onions being sautéed on the big flat griddle. The big ice cold beverages in central KY was Ski cola, but the Pepsi was almost as good. Don't forget the big jar of pickled bologna on the counter to, that was really good, never again have I ever seen pickled bologna. LOL

It was like stepping back in time, everything in that room was just as it was 50 years prior, excluding maybe a pinball machine that didn't exist in the 1920s. The old T-rail Steepletons and Brunswicks were wonderful old tables. The big game on the front table was rotation, all the other tables were 8 ball at 10 cents a stick. There wasn't even a restroom, just an open toilet in the back, so needless to say women didn't go in there. A rough place though, plenty of stabbings and blood stains on the old pine floors.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lawnboy 77 I am From Ky 2 , small world . Our Pool room did not have the blood stains as there was no roughness . We have a pretty nice town , someone who just got beat might mouth off a little but knew better to go to far as the owner would put them out on the street, Our's did not have the pickled Bologna but the gas stations did and I ate that 2 growing up. I have lived in ky all my life and never had a ski. Pepsi was the drink of choice around here. I will have to try one sometime.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I grew up in Wisconsin. I learned the game at a disturbingly young age in corner taverns. My grandfather ran a small brewery in Appleton, just south of Green Bay. Any Packer fans here?

Across the street from his brewery, the parents of Rocky Blier, of the Pittsburgh Steelers fame, owned a tavern. At 10 years old, I learned the game from my grandfather and dad in that little bar. Back then, a “little guy” could get a “little beer” too, if his grandpa allowed it.

Good memories of a time long gone...

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Bars saved Pool in one regard and ruined it in another. Decades have
gone by without kids learning to love Pool. That can change when people want it to.
Many small towns in uptown spaces now have affordable rates for rent but not
always on the main street. The day of the Pool Rooms was great. Everytown I moved to had one.

Here is my blog about the Do Over of Pool. It's time for Pool Rooms to come back. https://forums.azbilliards.com/blog.php?u=59850

Hello ,

As I sit here during the Covid -19 show stopper I often reflect back on my time as a Kid and a lot of Memories of the Pool Hall's I played in but one 2 in Particular was were I learned the game and the tricks of the trade so to speak. I thought it would interesting to read about the pool halls you grew up in and Fond memories of days gone by and the Players also. In our small town we had around 4-5 pool rooms , but 1 was a real genuine pool hall. Remind you of Ames from the Hustler.I can still see it , 6 tables , house sticks lined down the walls . A jukebox in the corner with old 45's Such as Elvis and Johnny Cash etc. The Counter stood and there was 6 Stool's going down in front so you could sit down and eat at the Counter and have the Best Chili you ever put a spoon in. The Owner made this Chili himself , along with his Wife and they called it Chili Gravy. It was thick and orange and the best chili I have ever eaten. He also made the best greasy cheeseburgers to go along with the Chili. The burgers were flat and thin but they had the best taste and paired with that Chili you had a meal. They gave you a bowl of Oyster crackers and that topped it off. Along with a bottle of Ice cold Pepsi and you was in business. The pool tables were steeple ton's and back when I was a kid it was 0.25 cents a game . loser paid if you were playing someone. He would have 8 ball tourny's as well. This was before 9 ball really became popular. There was some real pool shots that came there and it was just as much fun to watch them also. The Comradery with everyone made you look forward to going. Our town did not have much to do so pool was a form of entertainment as well as something for the kids to do . The Owner ran this pool room from the 50's until 1998 I believe so he had a good run but it had that old school vibe. What I would give to get that Chili recipe . I can taste it now. I grew up in that old building which is long gone now. The owner died last year, Now just Memories. Fast Forward to the late 90's The last standing pool room was owned by a friend of mine and I played there until it burned down from a grease fire. I played a lot of tournaments there, they had 8 ball singles on Friday night and 8 ball partner on Saturday night. There was a guy who lived in a few towns over who was one of the best I had ever seen with a cue ball. When I was about 15 a Friend and Me and his Dad went to watch this guy play in the back of a old service station were 1 old pool table was setup. We get there and were met by 2 guy's with guns on there sides and they let us in. He was playing another guy for $ 10,000 a rack. He beat the guy 3 straight for $ 30,000 and the other guy quit and said he was to good and could not beat him. I never seen a guy who could control the Cue ball like he could , almost as if he was talking to it and it was listing . I have to admit when I seen the 2 cat's with the guns at being 15 I was wondering what we had got into but luckily we made it out ok and got to watch some of the best shooting I had seen at that time. If you have any cool pool room stories please tell them. I am Sad to say That the old way of the Pool Hall is gone. Now they are all Bars it seems.

Last edited:

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds a lot like my old pool room growing up in Kentucky. The absolute best cheese burgers and chili I ever had. I can still smell the onions being sautéed on the big flat griddle. The big ice cold beverages in central KY was Ski cola, but the Pepsi was almost as good. Don't forget the big jar of pickled bologna on the counter to, that was really good, never again have I ever seen pickled bologna. LOL

It was like stepping back in time, everything in that room was just as it was 50 years prior, excluding maybe a pinball machine that didn't exist in the 1920s. The old T-rail Steepletons and Brunswicks were wonderful old tables. The big game on the front table was rotation, all the other tables were 8 ball at 10 cents a stick. There wasn't even a restroom, just an open toilet in the back, so needless to say women didn't go in there. A rough place though, plenty of stabbings and blood stains on the old pine floors.

This brought back memories. I still love ski and ale-8 one. Haha. Talking of those burgers is going to make me make a trip to lahas when this is over.

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
Pool rooms I frequented as a kid in the 90's.....good greasy food, overpriced drinks, smokey, dirty, lots of gambling and endless fun! They're all long gone now.....so just memories now.

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a Kentucky guy also, grew us in western ky. We had 4 tables all 4x8s but the front table only had red balls on it, could only be used for full rack banks. There was always a "crazy Kelly" game going which used a red jug with wooden peas in it. We did not have any food only a coke machine. Later went to collage in Bowling Green, spend a lot of time at Johnny Edwards pool hall. Best chili and beef stew I ever had. Great Memories....

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most small town pool rooms in the 50s were also cigar stores. Nicotine addiction was the downside to growing up playing pool. 50+ yrs. of cigarette smoke had turned the white tin ceiling a dark brown, and there were spittoons along the wall every few feet. The ‘primo’ room where I lived also had a soda fountain. The 5 cent cherry coke was my routine purchase. They also served a killer chocolate malt. Their news stand was the only place in town that sold nudist magazines.. In the days before sex education in the schools, I learned by thumbing through ‘Sexology’ issues when the proprietor wasn’t looking. The theater seats along the walls by the tables were typically occupied by old bachelors & widowers who had nowhere else to hang out. God, I miss that place!

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Here in western Canada all the rooms were snooker rooms. Many in smaller towns were in back of the barber shop, a table or two. Larger towns and cities had dedicated rooms wth more tables, again all 6 x 12. Men over 16 only.

Dave

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lawnboy 77 I am From Ky 2 , small world . Our Pool room did not have the blood stains as there was no roughness . We have a pretty nice town , someone who just got beat might mouth off a little but knew better to go to far as the owner would put them out on the street, Our's did not have the pickled Bologna but the gas stations did and I ate that 2 growing up. I have lived in ky all my life and never had a ski. Pepsi was the drink of choice around here. I will have to try one sometime.

What part of Kentucky, Louisville ?

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started playing when I was 14 years old in 1969. In Canada most billiards was played in Legions, army navy clubs, community centers, etc. In small towns it was usually the local hotel which was also a bar, restaurant. More of a community get together location. Rarely dark and sleazy.

In Canada nearly all ‘fathers’ were military veterans and I think this had influence on billiards not having the same negative image as in the United States. It’s not that there weren’t some of this image in cities but it certainly didn’t dominate. Snooker had the civilizing iinflurnce even on play at the table in the bar.

Anyways, I played in legions, army navy clubs, etc and there was an expected level of dress and behaviour.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started playing when I was 14 years old in 1969. In Canada most billiards was played in Legions, army navy clubs, community centers, etc. In small towns it was usually the local hotel which was also a bar, restaurant. More of a community get together location. Rarely dark and sleazy.

In Canada nearly all ‘fathers’ were military veterans and I think this had influence on billiards not having the same negative image as in the United States. It’s not that there weren’t some of this image in cities but it certainly didn’t dominate. Snooker had the civilizing iinflurnce even on play at the table in the bar.

Anyways, I played in legions, army navy clubs, etc and there was an expected level of dress and behaviour.

Interesting to hear how much different the pool halls were in Canada than what I experienced here in the U.S. in the 60s and 70s. Pool was the poor man's game where I'm from, something for the farm hands to do on a rainy day, or the local kids to do when not shooting hoops, or playing sandlot ball. The good old days when kids went outside and played. My little town was right off Interstate 65 fairly close to Mammoth Cave National Park called Munfordville. If you guys are ever driving through stop in at Cave City and have a nice cold Ski and a Slaw burger with fries at one of the local restaurants. Good folks down there, after all this economy tanking they would be happy to see y'all. I think that will be my first trip after all this is over. Below is a taste of some of our music. WLOC was our local station and "Chitlin Time" was good time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svQOQ2DIDEU

Last edited:

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Kentucky players

My home room. Sweeeet subject. In the early 70’s there were 2. Just alike. 5 tables front to back. Non matching old rough 8 footers.
Toooo many memories.
My main room had tables on right as you went in, benches on the side, personal one piece cues locked up by padlock. Legendary guy racking balls.
Front table always open. I mean open to anyone. We always played ring games about dollar or 2 man. Bank, 9 ball, pill pool.
Older gentleman played partner California 8 ball on table 3.
Table 2 had the smaller cue ball-cheap gambling there also.
Typical bar type diner on left. Breakfast or lunch cooked Waffle House style.
Tonk game on table in front window painted black.
Poker machines, gambling pinball.
5 to 8 a- players to b level trading money all day.
Road players that same through usually won but didn’t leave with money.
Down basement higher amount cards.drinks.dice
Man. It was good!

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What part of Kentucky, Louisville ?

No , Louisville is about 3 hrs from me . I am near Lexington. Lexington used to have the Continental Inn that hosted a few major tourny's . I got to meet Earl Strickland , Nick Varner , Jennette Lee , among other greats at the last one before they tore it down. That was cool to watch.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
old school:

NO walking between tables
NO movement in a players line of sight when they are shooting
NO music
NO miniskirts, tits or ass
A little action
GREAT grilled food
A few smart, experienced "old" guys that would answer your questions
Some wannabe thugs and a couple that were the real deal

Principles i learned were building blocks for over achieving in business and life

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool fan

No , Louisville is about 3 hrs from me . I am near Lexington. Lexington used to have the Continental Inn that hosted a few major tourny's . I got to meet Earl Strickland , Nick Varner , Jennette Lee , among other greats at the last one before they tore it down. That was cool to watch.

Have you been to kaizen in Georgetown? Where do u play now?

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
Here's the place I played when I was a teenager. It was owned by Pete Glenn (Denny Glenn's dad) and Pete's wife was the cook. It was clean and well kept and being that the Glenn Family had always been players, they knew what was necessary to run a player's room. Ronnie Allen and Danny Di Liberto stopped by often, as did many road players.

I was hustled for the first time there. One day I was hitting some balls and a kid that was slightly older than me was hitting some by himself a couple tables over. I watched him play and was pretty sure I could beat him. I actually challenged him to play (dollar on the five and two on the nine). He started out "slopping" in some balls. I thought the luck eventually would end. It didn't. As I paid Pete at the register with what little money I had left, he asked me if I had played the young guy in the corner. I said I had, and he asked me how bad I got beat. Then, he told me that was his son, Stevie. This was the same Stevie that later appeared in the two big one pocket books "Winning One Pocket and Shots, Moves and Strategies" by Eddie Robin.

The Golden Eight Ball was a great place and I think of it often to this day!

Attachments

• Golden Eight.jpg
    Golden Eight.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 224

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
old school:

NO walking between tables
NO movement in a players line of sight when they are shooting
NO music
NO miniskirts, tits or ass
A little action
GREAT grilled food
A few smart, experienced "old" guys that would answer your questions
Some wannabe thugs and a couple that were the real deal

Principles i learned were building blocks for over achieving in business and life

This is Ames, Mister... :D

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you been to kaizen in Georgetown? Where do u play now?

I have not but would like to check it out. I have played a few times at the Cue Club in Lexington and really like it. It is a nice clean place and the food is good also. I play regular at my Cuzin's house and a Friends also but with the Virus everything is down. I plan to go back to the Cue Club as soon as it opens back up, My Repair guy who is also a Friend supplied most of the tables for it,