Cast Iron lathe bed to mount taig bed

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought an Atlas bed that was 54" long to use as a base of a CNC lathe. I was going to mount linear rails onto the bed, and build a new carriage and cross slide on top of the linear rails.

.... Then the project sat for years until I lost interest... lol.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Many people have mounted my Mid Size Cue Smith type lathes to the top of an old flat bed wood lathe. Some have used the wood lathe headstock and just used my bed, carriage and tailstock to make tapering machines. Some of those old cast beds are not really perfectly flat and shims are needed to level and square everything. But others are near perfect and make a great base just like they are. Either way they make a very solid base.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
As Chris says, be carefull that the base is flat .... you can easily twist the bed of a lightweight aluminum lathe if you bolt it tightly to a twisted base.

A simple wooden box filled with concrete can also provide a heavy rigid base.

Dave

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought an Atlas bed that was 54" long to use as a base of a CNC lathe. I was going to mount linear rails onto the bed, and build a new carriage and cross slide on top of the linear rails.

.... Then the project sat for years until I lost interest... lol.

Great idea!!! I can't believe that I never thought of it long ago as I'm always adapting tools to other uses. I have an old Atlas metal lathe that I haven't used for years that I had intended to dismantle and sell the parts on e-bay. I can keep the bed and legs to use for a base. I've got everything else to construct a CNC shaft machine. I've just been waiting on getting some 80/20 to use as a base. I've also got a cast iron wood lathe that I don't use that Chris just pointed out would be a good base. It doesn't have stout legs however so I would have to set it up on a unused flat surface which is a rare commodity in my shop. Thanks to both of you,

Dick

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Great idea!!! I can't believe that I never thought of it long ago as I'm always adapting tools to other uses. I have an old Atlas metal lathe that I haven't used for years that I had intended to dismantle and sell the parts on e-bay. I can keep the bed and legs to use for a base. I've got everything else to construct a CNC shaft machine. I've just been waiting on getting some 80/20 to use as a base. I've also got a cast iron wood lathe that I don't use that Chris just pointed out would be a good base. It doesn't have stout legs however so I would have to set it up on a unused flat surface which is a rare commodity in my shop. Thanks to both of you,

Dick

http://www.alignritetool.com/cnc_router_poolcue.htm
Works in that one.

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Geez Joey you just spoiled it for me. I was thinking of a mounted saw under the slot coming up with taper bars, a W drive and a Y drive but you had ta get all fancy.

bruppert

<Insert witty comment>
Silver Member
Good idea but you'd want something longer. That bed is only about 3 foot long

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thats why you want the Y drive to move the cue or butt over the saw blade as the W drive turns it. It is best to have the bed that long so the rails and gear drive you put on do not exceed by much as the weight would cock it uneven scoring into the taper of your butts or shafts.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dick

Awesome. I was going to bolt the linear bearing rails directly to the bed top. Then mount a plate of aluminum or steel on top of them as a carriage for the Z axis, and mount 2 more linear bearing rails on the aluminum plate as the X axis. Another plate on top of these rails to form a base for my tooling. This plate would be machined with multiple T-Slots and/or threaded holes in order to mount a toolpost both in front of and behind the work.

The headstock on mine had the motor hanging out the back with the exposed pulley system. I was going to strip the headstock entirely of its gears and pulleys, and then mount new bearings in it, and drive it with a single pulley and VFD. And then use the existing tailstock.

Another option would be to make a new headstock like on the Cuesmith lathes, thats basically a box of aluminum. This way there is more options in its design and height.

Good luck with your project.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome. I was going to bolt the linear bearing rails directly to the bed top. Then mount a plate of aluminum or steel on top of them as a carriage for the Z axis, and mount 2 more linear bearing rails on the aluminum plate as the X axis. Another plate on top of these rails to form a base for my tooling. This plate would be machined with multiple T-Slots and/or threaded holes in order to mount a toolpost both in front of and behind the work.

The headstock on mine had the motor hanging out the back with the exposed pulley system. I was going to strip the headstock entirely of its gears and pulleys, and then mount new bearings in it, and drive it with a single pulley and VFD. And then use the existing tailstock.

Another option would be to make a new headstock like on the Cuesmith lathes, thats basically a box of aluminum. This way there is more options in its design and height.

Good luck with your project.

I have 2 saw shaft machines that I built 15 yrs. ago that work great but they don't have CNC capabilities which I want as I build so many after market shafts. When I built these I also built the drive spindle and used a spring loaded linear bearing for the tail shaft and these have worked very well over the years so I will probably use them again. I have the linear rails and trucks, .875 ground ball screws, stepper motors, a good power pack and drivers and a computer for it. I still need to get operating software but that's no problem. the main drawback is finding time to machine small parts and assemble.

I started out with the intention of making the machine capable of cutting 4 shafts at once but now I believe I will make it just for one shaft. Much easier to build and tune.

Dick

DoubleDCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Atlas 101/Taig Lathe

Hey all, just wanted to share. I built a lathe about 4 months ago. Had some extra parts in the shop and found the Atlas at an estate sale for 75.00. Yup the perfect blend IMO. Turns a perfect A-joint and pin installer. Steady rest is the only way to go....:smile:

Attachments

• 0616020728a.jpg
    0616020728a.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 2,231
  • 0616020727.jpg
    0616020727.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 2,464
  • 0616020727a.jpg
    0616020727a.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,920
Last edited:

DoubleDCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for taking a week to chime in, it's been busy. Wanted to share. I do love the real lathe controls.

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey all, just wanted to share. I built a lathe about 4 months ago. Had some extra parts in the shop and found the Atlas at an estate sale for 75.00. Yup the perfect blend IMO. Turns a perfect A-joint and pin installer. Steady rest is the only way to go....:smile:

Sweet idea!!!!!!