Indexable Cutter Bit

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just bought a set of indexable cutter bits from Harbor Freight for $25. I have a 7x10 Harbor Freight mini lathe I picked up in a garage sale for $75. I used one bit to resurface the ferrule face and to trim a soft UltraSkin layered tip from Tom Hays. Really did an excellent job and I'm very pleased with it's performance. Was wondering how many tips one might be able to trim with one side of the insert. I'm not in the business but just do my own tips and those of my friends in an over 55 community. I'd guess at about 1 or 2 tips per month. By the way, everything I know about tips and ferrules I've learned here on AZ Billiards and viewing youtube videos. This is a great site for us do-it-yourselves. Thanks to the many professional cuemakers that share their knowledge, us beginners appreciate it.

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
One to two tips a month.....
One insert should last around 3 years :)
You will see and feel when it needs to be flipped, when it starts to cut poorly and push off more.

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Cuejo. You're one of the guys I was talking about. I've watched most of your videos and learned quite a bit. Your centering tool is great. I use it all the time. Thanks for sharing your expertise on youtube.

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
Maybe I'm a ganoiodle accordin to Murray :)
I made utube vid on how to make a centering tool,
Works pretty spiffy too

msquared

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
M2

I have the same set up at home. i have done tips on it for about 7 years. I do all the tips in the central valley. I have done at leasy 3000 tips with it.

Mike M.

Just bought a set of indexable cutter bits from Harbor Freight for $25. I have a 7x10 Harbor Freight mini lathe I picked up in a garage sale for $75. I used one bit to resurface the ferrule face and to trim a soft UltraSkin layered tip from Tom Hays. Really did an excellent job and I'm very pleased with it's performance. Was wondering how many tips one might be able to trim with one side of the insert. I'm not in the business but just do my own tips and those of my friends in an over 55 community. I'd guess at about 1 or 2 tips per month. By the way, everything I know about tips and ferrules I've learned here on AZ Billiards and viewing youtube videos. This is a great site for us do-it-yourselves. Thanks to the many professional cuemakers that share their knowledge, us beginners appreciate it.