USA MC Captain

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off, our team captain should be American. Sorry Lee Brett

Second, our team captain should be a pro-level player. Sorry Ozzy and Jay.

Third, our team captain should be someone who is currently competing, knows what the players specs are nowadays, and not a past champion. Sorry JA.

Fourth, our team captain should be someone respected across the industry, articulate, and a fierce current day competitor in his own right.

I think when all is said and done, It should be Jeremy Jones, if he'll take it. It's a thankless job.

Lou Figueroa

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tony Robles

Pat Fleming (like he doesn't have enough on his plate)

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
May I ask why? I'd suggest getting the person best qualified for the job.
Again, why? Your captain is not playing. His task is to motivate and keep the team focused. You need a leader, not a player.
Third, our team captain should be someone who is currently competing, knows what the players specs are nowadays, and not a past champion. Sorry JA.
Eh? You don't need to be a present day player to know that.
Fourth, our team captain should be someone respected across the industry, articulate, and a fierce current day competitor in his own right.
Again, why? You don't need someone to hold any big speaches. "Hit ball Yankee boy, or you out!" That should cover it.
I think when all is said and done, It should be Jeremy Jones, if he'll take it. It's a thankless job.

Lou Figueroa

I disagree with every one of your requirements, then again I'm not American. I'm someone who would like to see a competitive American team. I think you neeed something different, not more of the same.

Hire a coach, instead of a captain. Have the teammates understand that it is his way, or the highway and make them train! I'd actually suggest getting someone from Taiwan. Make them play Taiwanese style for a bit, have them go there and stay for a while. Make them play every pro they have available. I think even though that would cost money it, would be a great investment for any young player! Mabye they could make a deal with the Taiwanese about an exchange of some sort? Put them up at the players houses, then return the favor when they come stateside, for instance. It could be a great pr. stunt as well. Give the Asians a stake in the Mosconi cup! I'd suggest someone a bit like this guy, but I doubt he is available (and I know he's not Taiwanese):

Attachments

• 3143844-3969512460-79715.jpg
    3143844-3969512460-79715.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,969
Last edited:

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
New Mosconi coach

Hi Lou,
I'll partially agree with your post, but I don't feel you have to be a 'real good' player to be the coach. I also think the coach should be 'american' - I'm just not sure what that means. Does that mean a US citizen? It probably wouldn't be a deciding factor.

The coach does not need to be currently competing-that would mean drawing from what many feel 'is the problem' of the current players.

Coaching and playing are related- but not joined at the hip.

I agree that respect is important. And I agree the coach needs to know how to win, and transfer that understanding to the Mosconi team. A coach motivates the players. His tools are psychological as much as physical. He must command the respect of the team, but doesn't really need to be a fierce competitor on the tabl. He does need to be a fierce competitor off the table.

I can think of a couple who would do great, but no guarantee of winning.i also think that the coach should be coaching, if you want a PR person, then have one. Keep the coach in his comfort zone so he can tend to his duties.

And that's what I think - lol.

Mark Griffin

Lou Figueroa

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Jeremy should be playing on the team. If he's a playing captain idk but I truly think he's a seasoned veteran still competing at the top of his game and could help the team tremendously and one thing is for sure if he played he would concentrate and lead by example for the younger guys and would add some much needed positive confidence and energy

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not the right personality.

I think Jeremy should be playing on the team. If he's a playing captain idk but I truly think he's a seasoned veteran still competing at the top of his game and could help the team tremendously and one thing is for sure if he played he would concentrate and lead by example for the younger guys and would add some much needed positive confidence and energy

I don't think he's the right person or has the right personality. I been around him for many years and I don't think he could bring the best out of the players and I'm not sure they would respond to him, respect/like?

If its not Rodney then let try something all together different, Jeanette Lee.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coach and PR by nature..,

Hi Lou,

I agree that respect is important. And I agree the coach needs to know how to win, and transfer that understanding to the Mosconi team. A coach motivates the players. His tools are psychological as much as physical. He must command the respect of the team, but doesn't really need to be a fierce competitor on the tabl. He does need to be a fierce competitor off the table.

I can think of a couple who would do great, but no guarantee of winning.i also think that the coach should be coaching, if you want a PR person, then have one. Keep the coach in his comfort zone so he can tend to his duties.

Mark Griffin

If its not Rodney then let try something all together different, Jeanette Lee. The whole world would pay attention to the team just because of her status away from Pool. She has a respected game, is a respected instructor and is fiery enough to deal with any situation when required.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree with every one of your requirements, then again I'm not American. I'm someone who would like to see a competitive American team. I think you neeed something different, not more of the same.

Hire a coach, instead of a captain. Have the teammates understand that it is his way, or the highway and make them train! I'd actually suggest getting someone from Taiwan. Make them play Taiwanese style for a bit, have them go there and stay for a while. Make them play every pro they have available. I think even though that would cost money it, would be a great investment for any young player! Mabye they could make a deal with the Taiwanese about an exchange of some sort? Put them up at the players houses, then return the favor when they come stateside, for instance. It could be a great pr. stunt as well. Give the Asians a stake in the Mosconi cup! I'd suggest someone a bit like this guy, but I doubt he is available (and I know he's not Taiwanese):

I'm American and I agree with you.

The nationality of the coach is irrelevant. The coach should be somebody who kicks ass and takes names. If you are going to get something done, being "buddy buddy" with everybody isn't always the best approach. It may be when things are working right, but when things aren't, maybe a new approach is needed.

There should be a MINIMUM of a solid month of team practice together before the MC. It should be like basic training. There should be drills, practice times, strategy meetings, etc. It shouldn't be a bunch of players sitting around and doing their own thing and then getting together a couple days before the event starts.

If you are going to take the MC seriously, you have to get serious. If not, then just go over and bang 'em around a bit and get some free money, see Big Ben, and eat some fish and chips.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Team USA aspirants need to work their tails off all year to address their weaknesses. The best coach would be a taskmaster with a huge amount of both technical and tactical knowledge, perhaps a Helfert or an Incardona.

Our players get plenty of practice, but they don't address their areas of weakness. Until that changes, no amount of practice will fill the gaps needed to beat Europe.

Team USA is a broken record in recent years, displaying the same weaknesses year after year. Until this changes, Europe will keep winning.

My top three choices would be Jay Helfert, Billy Incardona and Tony Robles.

Last edited:

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rodney Morris. Playing captain

My initial thought as well.

And why does everyone ride the "coach" so hard, these are professional pool players, a "coach" can only do so much, you want the players to play how hey already know how to play. "Coaching" professional pool players in a team event sounds just as silly as it is

Last edited:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
selecting the right players is as, if not more, important than selecting the right coach, in addition the coach should be heavily vested in the selection process in order to staff his team with players he thinks can get the job done

the manner 3 of our 5 players are selected as of now doesn't make sense

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm American and I agree with you.

The nationality of the coach is irrelevant. The coach should be somebody who kicks ass and takes names. If you are going to get something done, being "buddy buddy" with everybody isn't always the best approach. It may be when things are working right, but when things aren't, maybe a new approach is needed.

There should be a MINIMUM of a solid month of team practice together before the MC. It should be like basic training. There should be drills, practice times, strategy meetings, etc. It shouldn't be a bunch of players sitting around and doing their own thing and then getting together a couple days before the event starts.

If you are going to take the MC seriously, you have to get serious. If not, then just go over and bang 'em around a bit and get some free money, see Big Ben, and eat some fish and chips.

This is what the problem is. A month is not much time to get this done. UNLESS.. I really believe these guys need to train year round as say any top olympic athlete would. Your being chose to represent your country. Like the guy says, get serious. If you are going to spend a year of your life traveling around trying to make this team, give it your best effort. Eat the proper foods, physically work out all year, not do jumping jacks for a month and call it good.
I can tell you the other team members will also appreciate you putting this kind of effort into yourself. Kind of a drag to work out, practice your but off for years to be on this team and have a guy on your team say i don't practice my break...lol Train for personal success and it will show up more consistently. Natural ability is great but tends to break down if you don't have the whole package. I mean how can these guys not know this at this point in their careers. Or is this just too much effort to put out for your country and fans.
And lastly you need a real plan on what you discuss as partners with each guy you partner with. This is huge and seemed to be more chaos than smooth in transition between shots.
Some of the players were asked to not participate in a huge bar table tournament a few weeks before the cup. I really think this was a mistake too. A horse has got to run, not sit around and wait. And lastly they need access all year to the type of table they are playing on.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is what the problem is. A month is not much time to get this done. UNLESS.. I really believe these guys need to train year round as say any top olympic athlete would. Your being chose to represent your country. Like the guy says, get serious. If you are going to spend a year of your life traveling around trying to make this team, give it your best effort. Eat the proper foods, physically work out all year, not do jumping jacks for a month and call it good.
I can tell you the other team members will also appreciate you putting this kind of effort into yourself. Kind of a drag to work out, practice your but off for years to be on this team and have a guy on your team say i don't practice my break...lol Train for personal success and it will show up more consistently. Natural ability is great but tends to break down if you don't have the whole package. I mean how can these guys not know this at this point in their careers. Or is this just too much effort to put out for your country and fans.
And lastly you need a real plan on what you discuss as partners with each guy you partner with. This is huge and seemed to be more chaos than smooth in transition between shots.
Some of the players were asked to not participate in a huge bar table tournament a few weeks before the cup. I really think this was a mistake too. A horse has got to run, not sit around and wait. And lastly they need access all year to the type of table they are playing on.

I didn't mean only practice one month. I meant the last session prior to the MC should last at least a month. There should be numerous lengthy sessions throughout the year.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised that Allen Hopkins' name hasn't been thrown into the hat?
Ex-pro
Experienced at all levels of the game
Successful business person
Great professional promoter
Supporter of the game
IMO - A nice person to deal with
:thumbup: