Roger Griffis

Elwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw on Facebook that Shane said Roger Griffis has passed. I really liked his game.

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
I liked watching Roger play. One time, saw him play the one pocket ghost and run all 15 balls a couple of times.

Stones

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw on Facebook that Shane said Roger Griffis has passed. I really liked his game.

RIP- He hung out at my home room for a couple of days. He seemed like a nice guy. He came in wearing an IPT Jacket but i still had to introduce him to the owner. Anyway he obviously wasn't trying to hustle anyone but he left with $4-500 more than he came with anyway.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sbe

I loved watching him what a powerful stroke. He had a whole crowd watching him one year at the SBE watching him doing a power draw shot. He could draw the ball with more speed and power into a 9 ball rack then most players could with a follow stroke.

If true about his death RIP. I am guessing he was no older then 60.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Roger had a very strong game back in the 90's. I watched a few times on ESPN, the Challenge of champions if I remember correctly.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great player. My best memory of Roger Griffis:

He played the National 14.1 Tournament in NYC 15 years ago or so. Of course, his professional ability had him running 100's at any time. And he was joyful and bubbly as always. At one point, he was up against Hopkins, and Hopkins took an intentional. Roger gave that weird, IDKWTF look to the crowd and shmoozed with us that he knows how to run balls, and this safety and strategic part of the game.... he was, let's say, out of his element.

RIP Roger.

Freddie

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me being from Dallas i got a chance to know Roger some saw him play and talked to him many times at CJ's pool room he had a top gear that few pool players ever reached R.I.P to The Rocket Roger Griffis he had a way of always making people smile that was around him.

Condolences to the family and friends that knew him well.

Capture.PNG

Attachments

• Roger Griffis-s-L.jpg
    Roger Griffis-s-L.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,050
Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm saddened to hear that. I remember seeing him play on espn when I first started getting into pool in the '90s.

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
I knew Roger for 40+ years....I started college in Austin in the early 70's and met Roger at the legendary Moyers Billiard Café on Airport Rd. He was only about 15 years old and in love with the game. I think he spent more time in the pool hall than at school and was just a happy go lucky kid that wanted to be a player.

He moved out West and I did not see him again for maybe 15-20 years, and by then he became a world beater. RIP Roger....you will be missed.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
To his family and friends, he will be missed. What a special character/person/persona this man had during match play. He always knew how to enjoy the moments just a little bit better than his fellow man, as his smile and demeanor did show. He's a difficult person to be around and be sad in any way, and to have known em and been in match play during his best years. I realized how special this guy was, when he pretty much quit and played life out, instead of pool. I can only Smile when I think of Rog in his heyday and in the moment. Efren had no chance playing Rog in rotation games that for sure.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To his family and friends, he will be missed. What a special character/person/persona this man had during match play. He always knew how to enjoy the moments just a little bit better than his fellow man, as his smile and demeanor did show. He's a difficult person to be around and be sad in any way, and to have known em and been in match play during his best years. I realized how special this guy was, when he pretty much quit and played life out, instead of pool. I can only Smile when I think of Rog in his heyday and in the moment. Efren had no chance playing Rog in rotation games that for sure.

That is a nice tribute.

Worst_7_ever

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played him once in a local Turny back around 1990. He was in chicago around that time for awhile. It was a local handicapped turny. He was a 15, I was a 4. i beat him by shitting the 9 in 2-3 times. He went off after the match that he would never play in a handicapped turny again...he had a great break.