Help with grip choice

cmccall

Registered
Hi all, so I’m having my first custom Cue made and I’m undecided on the grip. I do occasionally experience sweaty hands when shooting so something with some grip would be good. I’m looking for some type of leather wrap but was wondering which type of leather would be best. Your suggestions based on experience would be much appreciated!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all, so I’m having my first custom Cue made and I’m undecided on the grip. I do occasionally experience sweaty hands when shooting so something with some grip would be good. I’m looking for some type of leather wrap but was wondering which type of leather would be best. Your suggestions based on experience would be much appreciated!

Depends

Do you want something slippery or something with a little grip? Once you decide then you can choose your leather accordingly. For slick, choose a no-grain leather. With grain there's a hair more grip. With something like elephant ear there's a tad more.

Lou Figueroa

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get suggestions from your cue maker. Can always be changed.

Excellent advice.

Cue makers have different ways of finishing linen. Sometimes they will tailor it to what you want.

As for leather, again, they know their product and installation, so tell the maker what your expectations are and see what he can do.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When it comes to sweaty hands and leather, my preferred choices are Shark and Elephant. With the Laws, Elephant might be hard to get. I use to think Lizard was a good choice but I have a couple of guys whose sweat, just wore it out.

IMG_20190131_000100.jpg
IMG_20190131_000747.jpg

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If this is your first cue and you haven't been playing long I would go:

Wrapless (this is often the popular choice of many)

Didn't like wrapless and wanna try a wrap? Go Irish Linen first. You can "slide" your hand into the required position in a very natural way. It'll absorb some of that sweat as well.

Wrapless too slippery even when moist from a sweaty mitt? Ok..then start trying the different leathers. Go from non-grain and on...

As for me...I don't have a distinct preference in wrap. I like irish, I like leather, and I like wrapless. My biggest concerns is shaft diameter, butt diameter, balance, and type of tip.

Good luck!