Top 10 Mental Aspects of Pool

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video demonstrating the Top 10 Mental Aspects of Pool. Here it is:

The topics covered (with YouTube time-stamps) include:

1. Plan and Visualize (0:18)
2. Respect and Focus on Every Shot (1:10)
3. Pull the Trigger with a Clear Mind and Still Eyes (2:07)
4. Create Confidence Through Preparation (3:27)
5. Breath (5:56)
6. Diagnose and Learn from Your Mistakes (6:23)
7. Focus on the Process, Not the Outcome (7:23)
8. Be Aware of Your Mental and Physical State (7:54)
9. Reset Yourself When Necessary (9:17)
10. Enjoy the Game and Have Fun (10:39)

Please check it out and let me know what you think. I'll be curious to hear if people think I left out anything important or if I misrepresented anything. I know people have radically different thoughts on topics like this.

Enjoy,
Dave

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not watched your video yet, I will, but i will say that, for me, almost every miss I have is due to something not done correctly in the #1 thru 4 stage- I am working on it almost exclusively now, and it has paid tremendous dividends.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent video Dr. Dave. There are several good idea's from general sports psychology. One of my weaknesses is focusing on every shot. A great player from my area would play the same regardless if was for tap water, gambling, or tournament play. I have a hard time focusing very long during practices sessions but will focus when something is on the line. I've always told other players that if the only way you know how to play is to focus all the time and then you will do it all the time if that makes any sense. Now back to the table to work on my weaknesses.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As always 'top shelf' info/instruction. Thanks for all you do Dr. Dave

Cheers,

-Kat,

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have not watched your video yet
What you waiting for? :grin-square:

I will, but i will say that, for me, almost every miss I have is due to something not done correctly in the #1 thru 4 stage- I am working on it almost exclusively now, and it has paid tremendous dividends.
We can all improve in those areas (and the others).

Please let me know what you think after you watch the video,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great video.

Surprisingly, I'm doing many of these every week and didn't know it.. I don't have videos of myself playing but as part of my routine on Mondays and Tuesdays, I'll watch a couple of different pros play 8 and 9 ball.

People at the bar probably think I'm weird but yeah, after each match, win or lose, I will head to the bathroom, wash my hands, look in the mirror and tell myself that I'm going to win the next 1,2,3 matches and go home with the money

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great video.
Thanks.

Surprisingly, I'm doing many of these every week and didn't know it.
You're certainly not the only one.

People at the bar probably think I'm weird but yeah, after each match, win or lose, I will head to the bathroom, wash my hands, look in the mirror and tell myself that I'm going to win the next 1,2,3 matches and go home with the money
That reminds me of the SNL Al Franken Stuart Smalley character. I like it.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video demonstrating the Top 10 Mental Aspects of Pool. Here it is:

The topics covered (with YouTube time-stamps) include:

1. Plan and Visualize (0:18)
2. Respect and Focus on Every Shot (1:10)
3. Pull the Trigger with a Clear Mind and Still Eyes (2:07)
4. Create Confidence Through Preparation (3:27)
5. Breath (5:56)
6. Diagnose and Learn from Your Mistakes (6:23)
7. Focus on the Process, Not the Outcome (7:23)
8. Be Aware of Your Mental and Physical State (7:54)
9. Reset Yourself When Necessary (9:17)
10. Enjoy the Game and Have Fun (10:39)

Please check it out and let me know what you think. I'll be curious to hear if people think I left out anything important or if I misrepresented anything. I know people have radically different thoughts on topics like this.
Does anybody think I left out any important habits or traits important for a strong pool mental game? If so, please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Dave