Meucci Originals 84-2

mfrisbie

Registered
Does anyone know if this bolt is a removable weight bolt or if it holds the butt piece together. I started researching how to remove and found that some earlier Meuccis had a bolt that was functioning to hold the cue together and not removable rather than just a weight bolt. I've never heard of that before.

Here is a pic of my Meucci Originals 84-2 with the bumper removed.

gqauyyi.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
I've had some that could be removed and some that couldn't. I think the screw was
glued in on older Meucci's.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had an old Original like this and I took the screw out.

It was indeed glued in and I put a soldering iron on it to warm up the glue and get it out.

I played with the cue for about a week and then to my surprise, the whole butt cap nearly snapped off in my grip hand.

Turns out that screw does hold the bottom of the cue together (at least in my case), so I would proceed with caution.

In the end I replaced the screw with a lighter aluminum one and it was able to hold it together.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contact Ryan Thweenten (sp) ratcues here on the forum. He works at Muellers and is pretty much the man when it comes to meuccis.

mfrisbie

Registered
Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate the time. I think I will remove and replace with a lighter bolt to be safe. I feel like I may remove and not be able to even tell if it is able to be kept off or functions structurally. The bolt looks beefy so I should be able to get an aluminum bolt that may shave 0.5 ounces off. I'm hoping to move the balance point about 1/2" forward as well to match my Meucci FR-1 which I've been playing with for the last 13 years.

BTW, I did ask Ryan and he responded with uncertainty without looking at the cue itself. Initially he said it was ok to remove but then was suspicious after a second look at the photo.

Thanks again for your time. I'll take some photos of the process to hopefully help out future Meucci weight bolt questions.

murdoc23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went through this myself last year. I wanted to add weight. The screw is strange in that they are glued in, and have a wide, thick slot, that normal screwdrivers won't fit in well, and in the end will just chew up.
I went to my local discount goods store ("Ollies") and found a medium-large pry bar that had a straight-tapered end. It kind of looked like a very large flat blade driver. However where the end flared out before the
blade was too wide to fit in the end of the cue butt. So I used a grinder to grind down the width to the right size.

At this point it fit the end of the butt, and the slot in the screw perfectly, but I could not turn the screw. I had read about heating the driver, but I didn't want to de-laminate any of the surrounding wood, so I tightened
the now large screwdriver handle in my vise, and then used a jar-opening rubber around the cue butt and turned it with all my might. It finally broke free.

Once I had the original bolt out, I matched the thread with a heavier, Hex-Head bolt from the hardware. (3/8th I think) I took the bolt home, and ground down the six edges of the bolt head to make it round, tapered
the head of the bolt into a cone, and the using a cutting wheel, cut a slot into the head. Now I could screw this one in the same as the original. All in all I think it added around an ounce.

Good luck, hope this helped. If you need anything further, feel free to send me a private message.

mfrisbie

Registered
Meucci 84-2 Weight Bolt Removed

I did finally find time to remove the weight bolt from my Meucci Originals 84-2. I'm still unsure if the bolt was a structural piece holding the butt onto the cue. I took some pics of the process and am hoping I can get some expert opinion. Plus I thought the process and results would inform some people thinking of doing the same thing. For reference I have been shooting with the FR-1 for about 14 years and am very used to it. I have been experimenting with heavier cues to improve my 9' table long shot game a bit. I have not been able to get used to the weight and am trying to shave a bit off. But now I'm curious if the balance point will annoy me.

Picture 1:
This is a pic of what I shoot with. Left to right; Meucci Originals 84-2 20 oz, Schon CX-65 20 oz, Meucci FR-1 18.5 oz.

Picture 2:
The current balance point of each cue.

1. Meucci original - 17-11/16"
2. Schon - 18-1/2"
3. Meucci FR-1 - 17-5/8"

Picture 3:
I heated the weight bolt up by placing a soldering iron on the bolt for a minute to release any epoxy/glue. This worked well and the bolt came out with a descent amount of torque using a large flat head screwdriver. I did mark where the but cap meats the forearm for realignment if I noticed separation.

Picture 4:
This is the internal shot after removal.

Picture 5:
This shows the increase of exactly 1" of the balance point which obviously moved forward. It is now 1-1/16" further up than my regular cue.

Picture 6:
This is the weight bolt placed approx. where it would be when installed in the cue. If you notice it is about a 1/4" below where the but cap meets the forearm.

My question is first can anyone tell me if this looks to be a structural bolt? This is where my cue construction ignorance shows. I feel like the bolt lying outside where the butt meets the forearm would mean it is not. But I don't know if the forearm is a male piece that the female butt wraps around. If so the forearm could reach the bolt.

Second, If this is structural, how much of the bolt could I cut off to lighten the weight but still retain the structural properties it may have? Should I replace with a lighter material and the same length? If I do reinstall what epoxy/glue should I use?

script>

http://imgur.com/a/0LPeN
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

mfrisbie

Registered
Meucci Weight Bolt

Can anyone tell me if this weight bolt is structural? Above has a link to the photos.