Changing shooting stance, due to medical conditions

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a question in regards to changing my stance from lower bent over to higher more upright. On a bar box, I can play all right for awhile and play decent. When I go to the pool hall, to play on a league with 9 foot diamonds, I usually start out playing ok. And I know the diamonds are tougher, that's not the problem its the pain. While waiting for my games ( 4 person teams, 2 games each ), as the night goes on I just can't get my neck to allow me to get in the position. This causes me to miss sometimes easy shots. I miss shots anyhow, so I'm not saying that I would be making every shot, all the time. I've tried bending my knees and other things, just thought maybe someone might have some thoughts.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I also am trying to shoot a little more upright due to pain in my bridge hand/shoulder. This shoulder pain seems to have come out of now where, never injured it.
Its taken about three months to where I feel like I can make most of the shots I could last spring. I still am not confident unless my chin is on the cue but I know many great players could aim just fine nearly standing up.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You can play jam-up staying high on the cue.
Jimmy Moore played well on a 6x12 also.
Willie gradually became more upright as he aged...looked snookerish when he was 21.
Taylor and lassiter made it work.

IMG_2247.JPG

IMG_2246.JPG

IMG_2245.JPG

Don't get married to a style....do what you must do.

pt....just my opinion....went broke in 35 states

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine is due to an injury a number of years ago, but I'd keeping pushing through and deal with it, the best I could. It's on the big tables that's the real problems. Because as you know, when your down low and have to look that additional distance, you have to force your head up higher. Which really puts stress on your neck. Age doesn't help either. lol

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can play jam-up staying high on the cue.
Jimmy Moore played well on a 6x12 also.
Willie gradually became more upright as he aged...looked snookerish when he was 21.
Taylor and lassiter made it work.

View attachment 437939

View attachment 437941

View attachment 437946

Don't get married to a style....do what you must do.

I'll have to look for any you tubes on him, to see what I can pick up, thanks............

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a guy that plays on another team in my Monday night league that I know from work. He barely bends over to shoot and shoots quite well. I never thought to ask - but he might shoot that way due to an injury - I don't know.

I tried to shoot a couple shots using his stance and I just can't do it. Being so high over the cue it's hard for me to see where I'm striking it. Works for him though!

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't help that I'm about 6'1'.
And I just had a hip replacement done about 3 months ago. So for the most part that's ok, but the constant bending of the knees and leaning over isn't the easiest. So there's alot of issues to contend with.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It doesn't help that I'm about 6'1'.
And I just had a hip replacement done about 3 months ago. So for the most part that's ok, but the constant bending of the knees and leaning over isn't the easiest. So there's alot of issues to contend with.

I'm six feet.....Jimmy Moore was taller by maybe two inches.
I have always been up and down on the cue...depending on the shot.

Think of a different way of aiming....like a gun fighter firing from the hip.....
....trust your hand-eye coordination a little more.

You will be pleasantly surprised.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Think of a different way of aiming....like a gun fighter firing from the hip.....

Yup.

And practice.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Invest some money to monthly massage. Money well spent. I have rheumatism and my body need taking care frequently or i can't get on proper stance. I also try bend both knees because i can then get lower without backhurt.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

How much did you lose in the other 15? :) :)

Or were there only 35 states when you played?

I'm ahead in every city, state, county, and country that I ever played in. I never went broke, but I've started out close to broke before. I wasn't broke from playing pool, though. The best time to play is when you're broke...gives you a bit of incentive to win. If you are fat, dumb, and happy with a lot of money there are too many things to distract you.

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Appreciate the suggestions from everyone. I'm going downstairs and try again in a little while.