50 vs 100

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
Today I ran my 200th run over 50 within the last 22 months. 189 are on video. I am breaking down the runs by category to illustrate the the difference in difficulty from running 50 compared to running 100. Any thoughts?

50 - 59 = 110 times
60 - 69 = 49
70 - 79 = 18
80 - 89 = 12
90 - 99 = 6
100-120 = 5

-Bill

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Today I ran my 200th run over 50 within the last 22 months. 189 are on video. I am breaking down the runs by category to illustrate the the difference in difficulty from running 50 compared to running 100. Any thoughts?

50 - 59 = 110 times
60 - 69 = 49
70 - 79 = 18
80 - 89 = 12
90 - 99 = 6
100-120 = 5

-Bill

From my world down in the land of the occasional 20, it seems that since
159/200 are 50-69, that must be your comfort zone.

I'll wait to hear what the big runners like Lissky (as DD would say) have to say and whether their numbers are skewed similarly but at a higher level.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Dennis,

i think you hit the nail on the head...

It just goes to show the amount of Focus it takes to put up tose types of numbers on a regular basis !

i think today i had about 8 or 9 runs above 25 in a 3 hour Period, although those werent ball in hand breakshots...these were in a game situations !

-Steve

sausage

Banned
Any thoughts?

50 - 59 = 110 times
60 - 69 = 49
70 - 79 = 18
80 - 89 = 12
90 - 99 = 6
100-120 = 5

-Bill
yes, but all tainted by jealousy as must be your wife's thoughts too but for different reasons..... oh the lonely bedridden hours clutching lost memories of fond embraces of a loving husbands firm but gentle hand and soft voice, shattered with each new break-ball. ;)

as sascha is my witness, when i get another table, i'm going to dethrone you as AZ14.1 amature champ. :angry:

Last edited:

Chris_Lynch

I play pool
Silver Member
I'm sure that breaking them down by date would be interesting as well. Since you were not a 100 ball runner when you started taping it makes sense that most of your runs are in the 50 ball range. I bet if you look at recent videos you'll see an upward trend of what your runs are and that your comfort zone has risen.

I also think you have way too much free time...

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
yes, but all tainted by jealousy as must be your wife's thoughts too but for different reasons..... oh the lonely bedridden hours clutching lost memories of fond embraces of a loving husbands firm but gentle hand and soft voice, shattered with each new break-ball. ;)

You missed your calling, you should have been a writer. Thats some funny stuff, but it is fairly accurate. :eek:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Hey Chris,

how did you do in your match last night at amsterdam ?

sorry didnt get a chance to chat with ya, since you were in a game on the feature table...you seemed to be hitting them pretty well.

-Steve

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
I'm sure that breaking them down by date would be interesting as well. Since you were not a 100 ball runner when you started taping it makes sense that most of your runs are in the 50 ball range. I bet if you look at recent videos you'll see an upward trend of what your runs are and that your comfort zone has risen.

I also think you have way too much free time...

Dennis and I were discussing the same thing. About every six months or so my comfort zone goes up about 10 or 15 balls. 2 years ago I would start to tighten up approaching 50 now it dosen't happen to about 90.

Good observation Chris.

Chris_Lynch

I play pool
Silver Member
I managed to win my match 150-135. I was way ahead (117-38) at one point but a missed ball to end a run and a skid cost me about 80 balls or so.

It was a great game since we both had some decent innings and the rolls were very even.

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to hang out more. Running a league and playing a league at the same time is hectic. I hope you get the chance to stop in again. You should play next season.

Hey Chris,

how did you do in your match last night at amsterdam ?

sorry didnt get a chance to chat with ya, since you were in a game on the feature table...you seemed to be hitting them pretty well.

-Steve

Chris_Lynch

I play pool
Silver Member
Dennis and I were discussing the same thing. About every six months or so my comfort zone goes up about 10 or 15 balls. 2 years ago I would start to tighten up approaching 50 now it dosen't happen to about 90.

Good observation Chris.

This is really an indicator of how much you play I think. I used to have bigger runs than I do now when I used to play almost every day. I think I'm a better player now but my comfort zone has weakened. I need to play more.

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member

50 - 59 = 110 times
60 - 69 = 49
70 - 79 = 18
80 - 89 = 12
90 - 99 = 6
100-120 = 5

-Bill

Yeah, 100 is 20 times harder than 50, and you have the stats to prove it. I wouldn't have guessed so high, but that shows what I know.

When you start doing 200 ball runs, and you will, are we going to find that 200 is 20 times harder than 100? Or will it be 50 times harder, or 100 times harder? Get to work, we demand to know. You should develop a Richter scale for high runs.

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
Yeah, 100 is 20 times harder than 50, and you have the stats to prove it. I wouldn't have guessed so high, but that shows what I know.

When you start doing 200 ball runs, and you will, are we going to find that 200 is 20 times harder than 100? Or will it be 50 times harder, or 100 times harder? Get to work, we demand to know. You should develop a Richter scale for high runs.

I want to hear from Lipsky on the 100 to 200 difficulty. I already know Johns answer.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Looks like Bill ran 50-99 195 times and 100 or more 5 times. So the frequency of running 100 or more was just 1/39th as high as the frequency of running at least 50 without reaching 100. So maybe running 100 is about 40 times as difficult (for Bill) as running 50.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Very Strong

50 - 59 = 110 times
60 - 69 = 49
70 - 79 = 18
80 - 89 = 12
90 - 99 = 6
100-120 = 5

-Bill

Bill, those are some impressive numbers. Just think of how many players there are out there that wish that they could hit 50 just once.
I never thought of keeping stats on my runs but it is a good idea.
Strong numbers to be proud of.

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
Bill, those are some impressive numbers. Just think of how many players there are out there that wish that they could hit 50 just once.
I never thought of keeping stats on my runs but it is a good idea.
Strong numbers to be proud of.

Thanks Mike. The old saying that if you can run 50 you can run 100. Maybe, maybe not. My numbers say its 20 times harder as Rich pointed out. If it is true does that mean if you can run 100 you can run 200 which is probably about 100 times more difficult? I don't think so.

I would like to hear what Schmidt, Harriman, Lipsky, Barouty and Blackjack have to say about it. Oh, I know Schmidts answer, but he can tell all you guys. lol

-Bill

sausage

Banned
You missed your calling, you should have been a writer. Thats some funny stuff, but it is fairly accurate. :eek:

bill; that reminds me, when my OLD girlfriend scheduled a romantic getaway on the texas gulf coast. she wasn't too happy when all my waking hours revolved around fishing. women will never understand. lol...

JesseAllred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm wondering if a certain peak run average is a more a mental obstacle such as concentration and anxiety or is it that our position and ball pocketing ability finally catches up and the chances of getting in trouble approach 90% plus?

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some thoughts on running balls from a guy that plays OK, but not great....

About 3 years ago and hit a new level where I was consistantly hitting 40's and 50's on any given day. Every so often I'd pop in 70's or 80's. One time, I ran 260 balls in 6 innings. Like Bill, I've had 6 or 7 runs over 100, with a high run of 148. I managed to accomplish this by studying the game as much as possible. However, as I mentioned in a previous post, I'm not sure that I really know what I'm doing. Some of my best runs have come when I feel like I am freewheeling somewhat. although it feels great at the time, I've always tried to search for a way to play that is "structured", "predictable", almost "robot" like. I guess what I tried to find is that place where I can "repeat" my performance at will....to ideally play the same every time. The goal, I suppose, is to ultimately be one of those players that can practically run 100 at will.

I'm not sure what it takes. To Schmidt, and a handful of others, it must just flow, they must just see the table and connect the dots. I had a taste of that when I made my high run. The feeling that I could not miss, the balls opened beautifully, and the runouts were easy. I felt I could go on indefinately and for a brief time, I could understand how it could be possible to run 700 balls. Unfortunately, I've only had the feeling a couple of times. More often than not, transitioning racks is painful and problematic. My confidence level nowadays seems to dictate that I run maybe 40 tops and then miss. In the back of my mind, I'm wondering if I "deserve" to run more....am I knowledgeable enough. I'm overcome by doubt, etc...

I suppose that the difference between 50 and getting to 100 for me is that all cylinders need to be working. The typical flaws in my game are not showing up, and the table is perfect, particularly the cloth. The pockets are neither too tight, or too lose.

There will come a day when I will make the investment and search out Schmidt or some other top player and try and jump up a level or two. I owe it to myself to see where I can take this game. You are very lucky Marop to be mentored by Schmidt, you've become an excellent player from what I've seen in your videos. I think that you are starting to achieve the consistancy that is necessary to get that 100 more often. The fact that you've run so many 50's in that period of time indicates this. As you continue to "iron" out your game, I would imagine that todays 50's will be tomorrows 70's, and so on.....

What a great game.

Last edited:

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
I agree - running 100 is 20x as difficult as 50 (and I would suspect even more than 20x), and 200 maybe 100x as difficult as 100. Of course, it's a bit of a moving target. As Bill gathers more and more data, I would imagine the ratio will steadily decline. It would be interesting to see where it eventually settles, as I think there is some value in that number as well.

In my opinion, the real value in Bill's data comes in looking at it a bit in reverse. It's 20 times easier for a guy with several runs in the hundreds to run 50. The real value here is in gauging your opponent... if I play Bill a long race, I can expect that there is a good chance he is going to hit me with a 50 somewhere (maybe a few of them). I disregard the chance of a 100 because it's not statistically likely, just like Bill doesn't have to worry I'll hit him with a 200 (only done it once), and neither of us really have to worry that Schmidt will run 400.

I think guys can run 50 like they're a hundred ball runner, and guys can run 50 like they're a 70 ball runner. There is a difference, and it's not necessarily in patterns. It's in comfort level, which we've spoken of in this thread and others before it. Hitting high runs isn't all about the new number; it's also about raising our comfort level so we start running more 50s, 60s, etc, and this is where the real value of hitting a new high run can be found.

Thanks for putting together that data, Bill. Good stuff.

- Steve