How dominant do you believe Carbon Shafts will become, at the pro level?

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple years ago at Derby shortly after Predator come out with their Revo there were a number of pros using them. There was a Revo shortage then and you'd have to hunt quite a bit if you wanted to buy one and then pay a premium. I just figured Predator was giving them out to pros (they sponsor quite a few) to keep building up the buzz.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone here shoot archery?

Remember wooden arrows? They were replaced in the 70's/80's by aluminum...that was the greatest advancement in archery in years...

Then along came carbon fiber arrow shafts...they don't bend, they are more "true" than either aluminum or wood, they are stronger and lighter (allowing for more feet per second) and they are more accurate...

I also thought these new-fangled black arrows were a passing fad...Like CF pool cue shafts...

That was 10+ years ago...And I still shoot carbon fiber arrows today...And I don't know anyone who shoots aluminum, much less wood...

Can't argue the gist of this, but it is not exactly apples to apples. For example there is a clear, measurable performance gain from shooting carbon fiber arrows. Lighter, increased FPS, etc. I am yet to be convinced that CF shafts will provide a clear, measurable performance gain over wood. I think it a given that CF is more durable, less warping, no dings, etc. But.. I have my grandfathers 40 year old dufferin and the shaft is still dead straight with very few dings.

You see it with pros who have tried CF and gone back to wood. I bet if they felt that a CF shaft helped them make just one extra ball, they would never switch back to wood.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone here shoot archery?

Remember wooden arrows? They were replaced in the 70's/80's by aluminum...that was the greatest advancement in archery in years...

Then along came carbon fiber arrow shafts...they don't bend, they are more "true" than either aluminum or wood, they are stronger and lighter (allowing for more feet per second) and they are more accurate...

I also thought these new-fangled black arrows were a passing fad...Like CF pool cue shafts...

That was 10+ years ago...And I still shoot carbon fiber arrows today...And I don't know anyone who shoots aluminum, much less wood...

How long until Carnegie Hall is filled with carbon fiber instruments?

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You see it with pros who have tried CF and gone back to wood. I bet if they felt that a CF shaft helped them make just one extra ball, they would never switch back to wood.

Out of curiosity, can you name some of these players? I haven’t been paying much attention to who is and who isn’t playing with carbon fiber shafts. Thanks!

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Out of curiosity, can you name some of these players? I haven’t been paying much attention to who is and who isn’t playing with carbon fiber shafts. Thanks!

Filler and Orcollo immediately come to mind. Dechaine started the craze, and I doubt he's used one since he left Predator.

Ko, Filler, and Alex are just some of the guys who play with wood despite being sponsored by companies that are pushing their cf shafts really hard.

Earl, the undisputed gadget and gizmo king, continues to use a medieval wooden lance as a cue.

Last edited:

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Filler and Orcollo immediately come to mind. Dechaine started the craze, and I doubt he's used one since he left Predator.

Ko, Filler, and Alex are just some of the guys who play with wood despite being sponsored by companies that are pushing their cf shafts really hard.

Earl, the undisputed gadget and gizmo king, continues to use a medieval wooden lance as a cue.

Thanks! I was just watching Filler, and he is using a regular shaft again.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fact that some pros (Fargo 720 speed) have gone back to wood, (I'm sure Filler isn't the only one) tells me CF won't get anywhere near %100. My prediction is that it will stay a steady %30ish (or wherever it is now.)

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't argue the gist of this, but it is not exactly apples to apples. For example there is a clear, measurable performance gain from shooting carbon fiber arrows. Lighter, increased FPS, etc. I am yet to be convinced that CF shafts will provide a clear, measurable performance gain over wood. I think it a given that CF is more durable, less warping, no dings, etc. But.. I have my grandfathers 40 year old dufferin and the shaft is still dead straight with very few dings.

This is right on.

The comparisons to other sports are invalid. Golf especially, which is often compared to pool. Golf tech has developed in order to hit the ball farther, which means guys can now reach the green in two shots rather than three.

The dimensions of a pool table haven't changed in decades or centuries. We don't need cues that hit the ball extra far. One would argue that touch is the most important defining feature within a player's connection to their instrument. Wood still has a certain je ne sais quoi when it comes to feeling good and giving good feedback, which equals good touch and (cb) control over man-made materials.

The majority of players in the world have developed their game on wood shafts. A majority still prefers them. CF is trendy, but I don't see all young players sticking with them. A guy like Filler (or Jayson, or the Kos, etc...) is going to be around for decades, and as long as he continues to beat guys while preferring and playing with wood, manufactures' claims that CF being the sole material of the future is nothing short of hysterical.

I'm sure it helped them sell a lot of black shafts this week, however.

DannySul450

I'm sure there are advantages of using carbon/graphite over wood as so many Pro players use the BK Rush cue and I doubt it's due to the butt of the cue. I've recently purchased a Go-Customs 3 piece full carbon jump cue and this is by far the best jump cue I'v ever tried and all my friend I play with agree after trying it.. SVB is also using a carbon jump cue which I assume is a Cuetec prototype.

Maybe for a playing shaft it doesn't have the feel that a Pro level player has been use to and this is why they are still using wood. That being said for an amateur player the benefits are worth it in my opinion. You get a straighter shaft that is has radial consistency that always slides very well and doesn't get dinged. This is why I use a carbon playing shaft.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
golf analogy not certain

most player prefer dynamic gold for their iron shafts and
many prefer heavy for feel,control consistency

don't be surprised to find player sticking to maple or ash
the reason for using graphite shafts is is the weight or light weight

this doesn't apply to pool shafts,they don't need to be light

Grandslam

Registered
For todays young player starting out the carbon shaft makes more sense. Not that it makes you play better but it is more durable than wood shaft over time. Easier maintenance, no warping etc.. Save dollars in LONG RUN. Older players 50+ if you like wood I would stick with it .

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
golf analogy not certain

most player prefer dynamic gold for their iron shafts and
many prefer heavy for feel,control consistency

don't be surprised to find player sticking to maple or ash
the reason for using graphite shafts is is the weight or light weight

this doesn't apply to pool shafts,they don't need to be light
My buddies Revo weighs exactly the same as a 15yr old SW shaft. It ain't the weight. They are more consistent and FAR more durable. BTW, show me one top golfer that uses steel in his long clubs. They ALL use carbon-fiber in drivers,fairways and hybrids.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IIRC Filler prefers the Z2 taper. If they made Revo in his taper choice he's use it.

Sure... You'd think they'd have whipped something up for him by now, considering he's the hottest name in pool and they've suddenly got a lot more competition.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Just out of curiosity, is there a way to find out what the ten best non-sponsored players are using? Most pros can play their sport at a high level regardless of equipment provided it's in good shape and uses relatively modern construction. In golf and tennis, (and I assume pool), they will use whatever equipment they are paid to use.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Maybe Predator should give all the world's top twenty $5,000 each to paint their favorite shafts black. Once that's done, there won't be an APA 7 left in the world with a wooden shaft.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fact that some pros (Fargo 720 speed) have gone back to wood, (I'm sure Filler isn't the only one) tells me CF won't get anywhere near %100. My prediction is that it will stay a steady %30ish (or wherever it is now.)

I would never think it would goto 100% unless we are all robots lol cf shafts feel different then wood. Some people will prefer one hit to the other. No one is right or wrong with what feels good to them.. it’s to subjective.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure... You'd think they'd have whipped something up for him by now, considering he's the hottest name in pool and they've suddenly got a lot more competition.
That's what he said when he switched back. Predator is trying to keep up with current orders. Different tapers will happen. They're not going to tool up to make a shaft for just a few players. Z-taper Revo's will happen.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe Predator should give all the world's top twenty $5,000 each to paint their favorite shafts black. Once that's done, there won't be an APA 7 left in the world with a wooden shaft.
Love This Post...

wilkamania

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haha it's been a few years, seems like a lot of pros are using Revos (and some ignites). But they're also sponsored.

I recently just came back after a few years off and my pool hall seems have about 50% of the players using CF shafts nowadays... all handicaps. The other trend I didn't expect was how many Cognoscenti's I've also been seeing at the pool halls lol (I'm in Chicago). And the a lot of the Cog Players have a revo/kielwood shaft tapped to play on their cues (defeats the purpose if you ask me).