Pool Room Expressions

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Pittsburgh John at the Rack...playing one hole on the 5x10...he’s trapped...
...walks around the table a few times....sez...
“The trouble with this game is you gotta take your turn...if it was poker, I’d pass.”

:rotflmao1::thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2:

Saw Boston Shorty, jump in a ring game in the back room of Janscos Show bar, where the upstairs card room was Private. The Springfield Rife, Eddie Kelly, Mexican Johnny and one other, $50 a rack, 1968. That was the beginning of ''smart talk $$'' at the Rounders annual 3 week event. Eddie runs a 3 pack, a couple more games are won, Shorty ''finally gets his first shot''....he is stuck $250 and his first shot is a kick, and mind you, Shorty plays ''real good'' 3 cushion.

First words outta his mouth when he saw the shot......''This Is The Shits''.

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I always got a kick from the terminology used to describe a fish, meaning one with whom you badly want to gamble. My favorite term used to describe a fish was "an ATM" with the implication being that they were as sure a source of cash as an automatic teller machine.

If a fish came through the poolroom door, you'd sometimes hear someone say "ATM alert."

way back in the day we used to have a guy in our local room who would alert the room when such a "fish" strolled in by singing the famous Don Ho song, "Tiny Bubbles". :thumbup:

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Probably just his own but a guy in our room loves saying:
"Break for the weak side"! When his opponent (that he's usually getting a big spot from)
misses.
**I heard Ginky used to say: "Get the kids dressed. We're goin' out"!

Last edited:

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Here people (team members or opponents alike) tend to say "hard-luck" to you repeatedly whenever your shot has any kind of negative aspect to it, regardless of intent. You could shoot the cueball directly into the pocket and if you're playing league you'd immediately hear 4-5 people repeatedly dribble "hard-luck, hard-luck" as you walk by, they don't mean any harm by it of course but I think it adds to the lifetime C-player issue.

Instead of reviewing the shot's outcome and looking for a possible reason for why their shot didn't come out as advertised, 99.999986% of the people will join in the droning rhetoric of "hard-luck, hard-luck" as they return to their seat.

Neil

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whenever I was "running hot" and somebody left me a very difficult shot that was "possible", but probably not the best choice to shoot, I'd say, "Damn, you left me my favorite shot. I stayed up all night one time trying to miss this shot. I missed it right before breakfast."

If I was "lucky" enough to make it, I'd say, "I hope you keep leave me that shot all day. I'll send you home in a taxi."

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Pool Detective

way back in the day we used to have a guy in our local room who would alert the room when such a "fish" strolled in by singing the famous Don Ho song, "Tiny Bubbles". :thumbup:

Rooms did operate that way...........then along came Ego, and the Guy....the one who'd tell ANY one that walks into his room, which player Not to play.

This rat always felt better grooming the Roadie, because NO one in the room liked em. It was his new short time friend, rats only hang with Rats.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
one of my sayings when playing with someone I know well and they're taking far too long thinking about a not-too-complicated shot, I'll say: "C'mon, this ain't a Rubik's Cube". :D

YOLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cliffhanger = When you take a shot and the ball just hangs on the edge. You take a long pause hoping it drops, but it doesn't.