Brunswick Montclair 1968-1970 Table Questions

louieeee

Have a look at my table please

Hello i bought a table off of craigslist earlier this month and have a few questions. before asking here though I talked to a Brunswick rep and found out a lot of information, but not enough.
I have more questions that she would not be able to answer probably. And hence i'm here.

I've been lurking here for a few months now and finally made an account.

My questions begin with what cushion type does my table use? K55 or K66?

Next i ask about the repair work. If you look in the picture you can see the damage i'm talking about.

It looks like the wood veneer chipped off at some point in its long life (and someone did a hack job trying to fix it). My thoughts are, I can cut out the veneer in sections from the table. Then cut up some new pieces of wood veneer and glue them in with contact cement. Once they are glued in, I can use wood filler and fill the seam. Then sand the seam smooth to make it a flat surface. Then id have to stain it and have the stain match, which i would test on some spare wood veneer before hand. Then id have to spray a clear coat over the new wood finish.
Is this correct?

Also in the other picture you can see the plastic trim piece is broken. Does any one know where i can buy this item?

Thanks in advance guys.

Attachments

• IMG_0953[1].jpg
    IMG_0953[1].jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_0954[1].jpg
    IMG_0954[1].jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_0949[1].jpg
    IMG_0949[1].jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
If that table is like a GC of that era that is Formica, not a wood veneer. I dont think the wood veneer would work out so good.

louieeee

Thanks for the insight. It seemed to me like the pieces coming off where thin chips of wood.

Also can anyone tell me type of cushion my table uses? I really want to put new cloth and cushions. The cosmetic stuff sucks, but it doesn't affect play

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
If you have your table apart you may be able to see if the cushion says Monarch Super Speed right on them. Brunswicks original cushions of the era had Monarch Super Speed printed right on them. They are different than the current Super Speeds, nobody makes that profile any longer. I think its the K55 you can use but it will shrink the playing surface by a 1/4", not a really noticeable but the table will no longer be twice as long as it is wide which to me is a pretty big deal. You can have the sub-rails modified so you table can properly use a current profile but it can be costly. If you had a Gold Crown or Anniversary, etc. I would say get the sub-rails modified but since I think your table is a home rather than commercial table I would save the money and use K55 cushions. If you search this forum you should find many articles about sub-rail modifications or "Diamondizing" your Brunswick table.

louieeee

i'm pretty handy and also have a grandfather that is a carpenter. Can anyone give me more specific details as to what i need to do to add new k55 profiles cushions and have the same amount of playing field?

Also yes my cushions are superspeeds which is stated in the Brunswick manuel that comes with the table, but like you said, they are probably an old extinct profile.

mechanic/player

Silver Member
I could be wrong but I don't think that table is old enough to have the monarch cushions on it unless it says so in the manual or on the cushion itself.

The only way to tell is to remove a rail and remove the staples holding the cloth in the middle of the rail and pull the cloth up and read what it says and then take measurements and compare them to today's SS k55s.

You may be able to find replacement corners for your table at poolndarts.com

Last edited:

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
You can find replacement corner caps and miters at classicbilliards.net.

I've ordered many things from there, and Ken is awesome to deal with.

louieeee

You can find replacement corner caps and miters at classicbilliards.net.

I've ordered many things from there, and Ken is awesome to deal with.

I could be wrong but I don't think that table is old enough to have the monarch cushions on it unless it says so in the manual or on the cushion itself.

The only way to tell is to remove a rail and remove the staples holding the cloth in the middle of the rail and pull the cloth up and read what it says and then take measurements and compare them to today's SS k55s.

You guys are awesome!

and okay, thats what ill do. ill pull the cloth and take measurements. idk when it will be, because i dont want to have the table down for long. So when i do it, i will post on here and reveal my findings.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Same cushions were installed on the GC1s