Remove Sharpie From a Shaft

subdude1974

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have a signed shaft and want to remove the sig and curious how to do it without damaging the shaft. Thanks.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have a signed shaft and want to remove the sig and curious how to do it without damaging the shaft. Thanks.

I am not sure, I am no shaft expert. But if this was my shaft, I would try:

I would try either:
Goop off
mineral spirits
turpentine

followed by high grit sanding and burnishing with wax paper.

If none of that worked, I would sharpie the whole shaft black and tell people it was one of them fancy Revo's

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Probably the best you can do is a good cleaning. Some of the sharpie has likely soaked
into the grain, without some light sanding it is probably going to show at least a little.
I've had some luck removing sharpie with the Mr. Clean magic erasers sponges but again
that's akin to sanding. I've also had some luck with light bleach solution and water and a
little household bathroom cleanser.
I was thinking maybe "goop off" (or goo off?), I've used that to remove marker from many different
surfaces when nothing else would work, never used it on a shaft though.
I might also suggest a few cleanings several days apart. Good luck

or like jokrswyldesaid, just sharpie the whole thing,, and tell everyone it's a wood-fibre cue.
no one will ever draw a distinction between wood fibre and carbon fiber, and you'll be telling the truth

Last edited:

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remove marker from the bottom of shoes I resell from thrift stores and Magic Eraser with rubbing alcohol is one of the best ways (if not the best) to remove it and is also recommended for cleaning your shaft ironically enough. I buy the Magic Erasers off of Ebay in bulk. Check out the thread below for more info:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=263898

Dustin_J

Commence the Jigglin!
Silver Member
Someone else mentioned rubbing alcohol - I've found it does a fantastic job of removing permanent marker from various surfaces. I've never tried it on wood, but it should be pretty harmless if it doesn't work, so it might be worth a shot before moving on to stronger chemicals, abrasives, etc.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Having a 5 year old I use 91% alcohol on all kinds of stuff. Baby oil will also remove some marker’s and paint and is far less harsh. It’s also the best for removing temporary tattoos...

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
Maybe try a few of the suggestions on a piece of maple dowel before attempting on your shaft. Let the sharpie dry as your shaft signature is fully dry by now.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My gf went nuts on me last year and started writing with sharpie on all the glass in the house how much of an a hole, etc, I am.

I tried windex, rubbing alcohol, paint thinner, maybe a few more. None of them cleaned the glass.

Nail polish remover finally did the trick.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
If everything fails, maybe use a sharpie & turn the entire shaft black? Then others will think you went carbon fiber.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

IMADigger

As an archaeologist, I need to remove things written with a sharpie from various surfaces all the time.

Sharpie ink is only soluble in alcohol; acetone or petroleum distillates like plant thinner won't work.

Denatured alcohol is probably the best solvent for the job!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The easiest way to remove a sharpie from a shaft......
....is to beat him for his cue

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use denatured alcohol (ETOH) routinely for sharpie mark removal on various surfaces including wood. Sometimes it will run the color deeper into bare wood, but it will thin it out to near invisible most of the time. I guess the point of that is use clean paper towels, and rub it off, not back and forth which can rub it in.

If your cue was french polished (rare these days) ETOH will cut the shellac. It won't touch modern auto type finishes.

Have the opposite problem - Earl signed a shaft of mine, wanted it on one i made. Only had my regular player cue along, and thought afterwards, "what an idiot, now i can't use it". Wife said "so what, use it anyway" It is fading.
Course she likes Shane :D

smt

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My gf went nuts on me last year and started writing with sharpie on all the glass in the house how much of an a hole, etc, I am.

I tried windex, rubbing alcohol, paint thinner, maybe a few more. None of them cleaned the glass.

Nail polish remover finally did the trick.

Woah. Thank heavens she didn't get to the shiny Aramiths.