Eddie Taylor Bank Record

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Since so many are talking about John Schmidts incredible 14.1 run of 626, then lets talk about the Knoxville Bear.

Who wants to try and beat the Knoxville Bears all time bank record. He banked 37 balls in a row.

I think he played 9 ball banks, as that was a popular game in the early part of the last decade. So he broke, made a ball ran 5, rack em up, break em again (you have to make a ball on the break to continue your bank run).

That adds up to breaking and running 7 racks and then breaking the 8th rack, making a ball on the break, then he banked 2 more before he missed.

Personally, I think this is just as difficult if not more, why? He has to make a ball on the break to continue his bank run. The ball on the break does NOT count as a bank, it just allows the shooter to continue his turn at the table.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is an interesting thought. Right now I think if Thrope, or Woodward, or Brumback spent the time that John did, I think they could beat it. As far as it being harder, I don't know if I would put it harder than 626. However, I feel that it is just under. Like a 1 and 1A. Yes you have to luck a ball in on the break and hopfully get a good spread for 8 racks. However, you have to do that for 44 racks in 14.1. Granted you get more opportunities to break our a rack in 14.1. However since that record isn't as prestigious and well known as Mosconi's and now John's, I don't see anyone trying to break it, which is kinda sad cause I think that would be awesome to see.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Taylor said it was playing full-rack banks when he was 18 or 19. He banked the last 12, then all 15, then 10 in the next game for 37 banks in a row.

He said he banked all 15 about 5 times in his entire life.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sky made 20 in a row few years ago in a big banks ring game we had in the action room at the Derby.

As far as i know that run is the most ever caught on video.

poolsucker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jason kirkwood banked 9 ball rotation pool and broke and ran 3 racks!! Pretty impressive in order

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am absolutely amazed by banking 37 balls in a row but not at all impressed about making a ball on the break with a nine ball rack five times in a row which gives the edge to Schmidt‘s record being more difficult in my humble opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I am absolutely amazed by banking 37 balls in a row but not at all impressed about making a ball on the break with a nine ball rack five times in a row which gives the edge to Schmidt‘s record being more difficult in my humble opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taylor was playing full-rack banks (see post #3).

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Does Brumback ever play in anything other than the Derby?

Not really, just a few tourneys at red shoes ever now and then, but not enough to mention I would think. He told me once that pool should be a hobby and I'm pretty sure he was right. Would love to see some killer banks though.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Brian Gregg's is on video from DCC.
It was in practice on the TV table.

Sky made 20 in a row few years ago in a big banks ring game we had in the action room at the Derby.

As far as i know that run is the most ever caught on video.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Taylor said it was playing full-rack banks when he was 18 or 19. He banked the last 12, then all 15, then 10 in the next game for 37 banks in a row.

He said he banked all 15 about 5 times in his entire life.

Thx for clarifying the format....we did play allot of full rack banks back in the sixties. I was thinking Jewett would of spoke up.

I did talk to Eddie in Vegas, early 2000 at the BCA trade show that's when he told me about that day. Nice man, great smile....he smiled allot. Most all the greats back then could ''roll'' with most any type of punch life dished out.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I'd like to see the 10 ball rack used for banks at derby.

Full rack is a little congested, 9 ball is a little too easy, because of the scatter.

10 ball would add just enough difficulty in the break.

bstroud

Deceased
Taylor was gambling at 15 ball bank when he ran 37 banks.
When I was on the road with Taylor he told me the story first hand.

During that time there was no 9 ball banks. You would go into a pool room in the South of say 20 tables and 18 of them would have a sign above them that said BANK POOL ONLY.

Bill Stroud

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I was thinking Jewett would of spoke up.
I've played perhaps 20 racks of bank pool. There was only one player in my main room who played it and he was so bad even I could beat him.:grin:

I never heard of short-rack banks until I saw it as DCC. When I first heard "nine ball banks" I thought, "Well, that's going to take a long time per rack."

bstroud

Deceased
When Taylor and I were traveling on the road we would practice bank pool so I would learn.

In Memphis in one game he banked 14 in a row.

He always played me one handed to two so I had some chance.

Bill Stroud

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thx for clarifying the format....we did play allot of full rack banks back in the sixties. I was thinking Jewett would of spoke up.

I did talk to Eddie in Vegas, early 2000 at the BCA trade show that's when he told me about that day. Nice man, great smile....he smiled allot. Most all the greats back then could ''roll'' with most any type of punch life dished out.

Eddie talks about his runs of all 15 and his high run of 37 in a row starting here: https://youtu.be/IcFgsP-u7vA?t=2352