Wth?

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
Playing 9 ball APA last night and this happens. :confused: City 8 ball on Saturday too. Thank goodness I have been collecting break cues and can make due.

The ferrule is split on both sides and there is a hairline crack into the purpleheart on one side. Does anyone know if threading the ferrule would help? Obviously this one is firewood.

Attachments

• Split Ferrule.jpg
    Split Ferrule.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 396

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thats very odd to have linen phenolic break like that
What I perfer doing with these type of break cues (what's known as a tip ferrule combo)
Is to take a 1 1/2" phenolc piece and make 5/16 male end that measures 3/4" and insert it down into the shat (which is drilled out to 5/16) then cut the and shape the remaing portion that's out of the shaft into the ferrule tip combo. Much stronger

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Never seen that happen before. I might have a cue maker or repair guy remove the tip and ferrule and try to extend the length of the tenon, then go with a long fiber ferrule and something like a White Diamond break tip. You may lose a tiny bit of length on the shaft, probably less than a 1/2 inch.
You just gotta stop working out.

Billiardsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had this happen to the first phenolic ferrule I had. It only cracked the ferrule though. The cue maker I say did what Bigb'scues said, reverse the tenon. Been shooting with that one for about a decade now.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing 9 ball APA last night and this happens. :confused: City 8 ball on Saturday too. Thank goodness I have been collecting break cues and can make due.

The ferrule is split on both sides and there is a hairline crack into the purpleheart on one side. Does anyone know if threading the ferrule would help? Obviously this one is firewood.
I can only see what I can see from blowing up your picture, It looks like the maker may have used stripped instead of rolled phenolic. In that case it can split.

I just went back and looked a little more at your picture and I am almost certain they did.

Last edited:

eddie8842

getcha some of that
Silver Member
i've seen that happen twice to my buddy when he had one piece phenolic ferrule tip combos installed, my cue guy said it happens because whoever put the tip on left a little gap on the inside where the wood meets the inside of the tip, air gets trapped in there and it has nowhere to go so depending on how big the gap, the more air that's in there and everytime you break you expand the air and the air has to go somewhere, until eventually it weakens the shaft or the ferrule/tip or both and since they're glued together they break together
because the first time it lasted about a year and a half, the next time it happened it hadn't even been a month, he said the gap the second time was alot bigger so it didn't last
now my buddy had a g10 tip, one piece ferrule/tip combo, but he had it put on by the cue guy who knows what he's doing and it's goin strong for about 2 years now

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was crazy, but obviously you didn't need the cue for 8 ball last night. Thanks for the 7 dollar lesson in racking! Very nice shooting Ron.

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
Sorry

That was crazy, but obviously you didn't need the cue for 8 ball last night. Thanks for the 7 dollar lesson in racking! Very nice shooting Ron.

I got some rolls last night, plus I was mad about how badly I played 9.

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
there was a small gap between the combo and the tenon that didnt get filled with glue. Do you see the mushrooming? To me that is a dead give away that there is a gap. Once it is being removed I am willing to bet there is a gap between 1/16 and 1/8 inch. The rolled is stronger than the flat, but that isn't the cause of this failure. I wasn't there but I am willing to bet you miscued pretty bad when it happened and when you looked at it you saw this.

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member
I wasn't there but I am willing to bet you miscued pretty bad when it happened and when you looked at it you saw this.

Actually it was a really strong break. I didn't make anything but spread the rack and parked the cue center table for my opponent. :banghead: