Karen Corr's Job

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I heard from a very reliable source that Mike Dechaine has a legit full time job as well.

And, quite obviously, he's a guy.

Maybe it's not only the women who have a hard time making ends meets with Pool as a f/t gig.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard from a very reliable source that Mike Dechaine has a legit full time job as well.

And, quite obviously, he's a guy.

Maybe it's not only the women who have a hard time making ends meets with Pool as a f/t gig.

Didn't Mike get kicked k ed out of the Joss Your and another that he frequented?

Also thought I read he isn't affiliated with Snookers anymore.

Anyone know what he is doing for a job now???

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reason I ask someone about the job, I would think he could do well giving instruction...

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
And while you are doing all that and another player is subsidized by the state you don't have snow ball's chance in hell of winning.

SVB and Dennis O. win because they are at the table most of everyday they are on the planet.

What's your point? I am pretty sure that applies to any top 20 competitor, in pretty much every sport/game.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Reason I ask someone about the job, I would think he could do well giving instruction...

As arrogant as he has been throughout his career, I am gonna guess his success has been because of natural talent, and just getting on the table and hitting a million balls.

From a teaching perspective, Mike Deschaine just doesn't look like a guy who is thinking all that much out there. If you haven't put a massive amount of thought in how to tweak every little percentage out of your game (like Shane has), then I'd imagine teaching wouldn't come completely naturally.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players like her give pool a good rep:smile: Most people I know think most all pool players from shortstop to pro end up being welfare cases when they are not able to play pool, which is not off base for some:sorry:

Pool is no different than any other occupation. You "have to prepare for the future", simple as that:thumbup: Unfortunately, just like most other fields of work, pool players tend to not save enough, especially the lower paid players (workers non-the-less).

When people walk around the table dreaming of being a pro player they really have no idea just what they are really asking for:idea2: In fact, most are blessed to never make it:angel2: Sad but true, unfortunately:sorry:

Rake

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB and Dennis O. win because they are at the table most of everyday they are on the planet.

JMO, but there are lots of players that play as much if not more than Dennis and Shane but we do not see them on stage.

Lots and lots of time at table is required but, it in itself (time), is almost worthless. Otherwise, first place would go to the player that had the most time logged.

Rake

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've never met her but I love that gal. In addition to being a class act and great player she took time off to return to Ireland so she could take care of her ailing Father.

I always admired her personality. 1st class would describe her. Her stroke is picture perfect. She is a winner. I met her last year...she played 1P with me.(Don't ask) I never enjoyed losing so much as to be at table with her. Just being a pool room with her is special. At this time she will tell you pool is not her primary occupation. I wish the best for her. She sets the standard for performance, sportsmanship and giving back.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Didn't Mike get kicked k ed out of the Joss Your and another that he frequented?

Also thought I read he isn't affiliated with Snookers anymore.

Anyone know what he is doing for a job now???

Mike sells windows in Maine for Renewal by Anderson.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Chris Melling just won 75K for Second place in a Chinese Eight ball event ...

That recent one (March) was about $90,000 for first (Zheng YuBo) and $45,000 for second (Melling). For the women it was $60,000 (Han Yu) and $30,000 (Liu Shasha).

But some Chinese 8-Ball events have had even larger prizes in the past.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not talking just about Karen's situation here. But in general nursing seems like a pretty good career choice for any aspiring pool player.

It's pretty good $$.

You can do it half-time or some other fraction if you are wanting to earn some rent $$ while really focusing on pool.

You can pretty much get a job anywhere and then a year later move and get a new job.

You can take a hiatus and then bet back into it.

You can choose to work not a fixed schedule but rather just be on call. That way you can leave home to to the west coast swing, and then a few months later leave home for another swing...

It is in many places possible to work "full time" as 3 12-hour shifts a week.

If you later quit the pool grind, you've got a good career.

You are correct on all accounts. My wife is in health field and does exactly as she wishes.

She works when she wants and there is almost always a job waiting that pays better than most think.

Rake

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
And while you are doing all that and another player is subsidized by the state you don't have snow ball's chance in hell of winning.

Dang, I heard Donnie Mills was selling his/cars for a living.
Jason:eek:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Good for Karen. I was in my mid 40's when I went to nursing school. Was a nurse for13 years before I had to retire, do to health problems. Johnnyt

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member

At SBE I ran into Mike and since I live in CT (not horribly far from where Mike lives) I asked him about lessons. He said he's not able to do that right now.
I don't want to give anyone the wrong idea here, in my brief experience with him he was very fan friendly, approachable and a real gentleman.

I would guess Mike is circa 32 years old In talking to Mike and watching him in the Tru-TV series, The Hustlers, it's clear to me Mike is an extremely bight guy.
He's dominated Pool for a bunch of years. I can't imagine that lifestyle and work that's required to constantly stay on top is conducive to the lifestyle & relationships most people want.
Mike's choice to work a square job and do regional tournaments as his schedule allows seems to be what some, if not many, top ranked pros are opting for after a good run.

From what I can see, it's rare the Pro player who: #1 makes the big money, #2 keeps making the big money and #3 can hold on to the big money after making it.
So many athletes make the big money for a while and then end up broke through mismanagement. How many former Boxing champs have died broke & penniless? It's almost a cliche.
I say good for Mike. Maybe sad for the fans, but good for him

As far as lessons, the few Pro's I've taken lessons with over the years all seem to average out at about $75.00 an hour.
That's not bad if you can put together a steady work week of even just 20 hours at $75.00/hr.
I think even in NYC that'd be a challenge and up in Maine where Mike lives, I think that'd be close to impossible.

Last edited:

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike is going to make over $150,000 a year, get health insurance and paid vacation.
He might be close to the top of the pool player money list with this job.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike is going to make over $150,000 a year, get health insurance and paid vacation.
He might be close to the top of the pool player money list with this job.

I can see that- he can be pretty charming away from the table when he wants to be. Plus Lord knows, almost everyone in Maine could use better windows and Andersen has a huge positive rep.

pfduser

GRABBER GT
Silver Member
Good for Karen. I was in my mid 40's when I went to nursing school. Was a nurse for13 years before I had to retire, do to health problems. Johnnyt

Was hoping you would post in this thread knowing you were in the nursing field at one point in your life.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The payoffs at the Major pool tournaments held annually are fairly good. Try $5,000 for 5-6th in the U.S. Open for example (40K on top!). The one caveat that leaves out all but the very best players, is that for most of the big events you have to travel the world to play in them. Chris Melling just won 75K for Second place in a Chinese Eight ball event, and the Chinese team picked up 60K for winning the World Cup. There is a decent living to be made in pool if you are an elite player.

How about a player like Dennis Orcollo grabbing 50K twice in matches with Scott Frost and Tony Chohan (yes he did lose one also). Every time Dennis comes over here, he spends two or three months playing almost every week, and consistently grabs several thousand or more in each tournament he plays in. He won nearly 50K at DCC last year! Playing pool is his job and he makes a nice six figure income doing it.

Same goes for the women. If you're willing to travel to China, they regularly have big dollar pool tourneys for the women, who are very well known and popular over there. The problem for Western women is who they have to beat to get it! There are at least a dozen Chinese women who play close (or equal) to Siming's speed (she doesn't win every tourney over there!). :D

This wold be like only having top 100 engineers in the world make a living being an engineer LOL Every corporate building in the US likely has 25% of the employees making more than many top 200 pool players.