my OB tip broke iff

madhatter44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please view my last post on this thread. All is good thanks to OB

Last night while breaking,with my OB Control break shaft the tip broke off with a small piece of the ferrule.
Should I just try and glue it back on or return it for a replacement.?
Has this happened to anyone else?
I wasn't even breaking hard.
I love the shaft by the way .

Attachments

• tmp_18680-20160430_0740181472484010.jpg
    tmp_18680-20160430_0740181472484010.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 820
  • tmp_18680-20160430_073959418908455.jpg
    tmp_18680-20160430_073959418908455.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 828
  • tmp_18680-20160430_0753501995131981.jpg
    tmp_18680-20160430_0753501995131981.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 810
Last edited:

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely don't just glue it back on. The ferrule is no longer doing it's job, i.e. keeping the shaft from splitting.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Contact OB. I'm sure they would like to know about it. My guess is they will repair or replace.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this the original tip?
To me it looks like the carbon fibre pad below the tip is missing that common with the wooden ferrules.

Definately return it, you'll only do more damage.

Cheers,
M

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They didn't glue the tip properly. Only the middle of tip and the outermost edge were glued. That ferule never stood a chance. Basically most of the impact force went straight to the ferule. Having nowhere else to go the unglued portion of the tip expanded outward exerting tremendous sideways force to a material that was designed to absorb direct downward force. Had the tip been glued evenly and fully along its entire surface I don't suppose this would have happened. I way be wrong, though, I don't have any experience working with this material. If you bought it new and know it is the tip that OB put on it, i would definitely contact them.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
It looks like a flat laminate not the new OB plus.
How many tips have been put on the same carbon fiber pad?
Is it a carbon fiber pad from or just a fiber pad, and did you break with it

Peace
Ted

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like a flat laminate not the new OB plus.
How many tips have been put on the same carbon fiber pad?
Is it a carbon fiber pad from or just a fiber pad, and did you break with it

Peace
Ted

That OB Control shaft is of the new design. And unless I'm blind, I see that the bottom layer of the tip is thicker than the others. I would bet that's the pad. So unless there has been a tip replacement, which I doubt. Send the shaft back to OB and ask for a new OB Control shaft instead of that one being fixed.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
That OB Control shaft is of the new design. And unless I'm blind, I see that the bottom layer of the tip is thicker than the others. I would bet that's the pad. So unless there has been a tip replacement, which I doubt. Send the shaft back to OB and ask for a new OB Control shaft instead of that one being fixed.

I didn't notice that it was new
In that case, OB will replace it for sure through the distributor that sold it.
They are real good about that stuff

madhatter44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys for your replies and advise.
I guess I will reach out to OB.
Only have it about 2 months. I purchased it from Seyberts and it is the original tip.
I did not notice a fiber pad being under the tip.If there was one I have no idea where it is now.

madhatter44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't notice that it was new
In that case, OB will replace it for sure through the distributor that sold it.
They are real good about that stuff

I just spoke with Seyberts and they said it is warranty issue and I have to contact OB.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Yikes... I'm sure OB will take a look at this. Please tell me the Magic Chalk was unhurt in his horrific shooting accident ;)

madhatter44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yikes... I'm sure OB will take a look at this. Please tell me the Magic Chalk was unhurt in his horrific shooting accident ;)

RJ

I don't know why I did not consider that. It was the Magic Chalks fault... 43rd consecutive break without re-chalking. We now know the limit is 42 before breakage of a ferrule.

madhatter44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

RJ

I don't know why I did not consider that. It was the Magic Chalks fault... 43rd consecutive break without re-chalking. We now know the limit is 42 before breakage of a ferrule.

Zivan1967

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night while breaking,with my OB Control break shaft the tip broke off with a small piece of the ferrule.
Should I just try and glue it back on or return it for a replacement.?
Has this happened to anyone else?
I wasn't even breaking hard.
I love the shaft by the way .

Do you dig the cue into the table when you break? I had this happen to me except the ferrule stayed intact and only the tip/carbon fiber pad came flying off with some of the wood from the center. The side pressure from digging the cue down on the break can have this result, I just glued the tip back on since it lined up perfectly and haven't had any further issues.

I have however stayed away from experimenting with my break lol.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seyberts?

I have ordered a shaft from Seyberts before and they made another promptly as the length was wrong. If they put the tip on your shaft I would tell them what happened and see what they say. If it came from OB with a tip then I would send it to OB for a replacement.

I wonder if that is not a faulty ferrule?

madhatter44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have ordered a shaft from Seyberts before and they made another promptly as the length was wrong. If they put the tip on your shaft I would tell them what happened and see what they say. If it came from OB with a tip then I would send it to OB for a replacement.

I wonder if that is not a faulty ferrule?

The tip was the standard tip that came with it from OB

toga.roche

Registered
madhatter44,

Sorry to see that this happened to your shaft. Please go to the warranty section of our website and follow the instructions on that page to send it back to us and we will get you taken care of: https://www.obcues.com/pages/Warranty.html

Apologies once again. Let me know if you have any questions.
Look at that....that's some great customer service. If my phone broke I highly doubt the President of Samsung would try to help solve my problems.